What to do with all the information? (Read 1161 times)

"All data is good".

No.  For the most part, it is noise.

(also, data are)

Fair enough... I realize that it isn't all good (or would it be "aren't all good")... Smile

But, what I was trying to say is that the collection of information (whether it is used today or not) is "ok".
    Collect it, retain it, and analyze it later (if you want).

If you realize that it's noisy data, then trash it, but if you can collect it, and keep your sanity, then it's something I'm willing to do.

It's similar, I guess, to my "Camry Log", which shows every penny I've put into the car at the time that I put the penny into the car (purchase, payments, gasoline, service, wear & tear, etc.).  I now know (or at least I could know), my cents per mile driven since I purchased the car in 2003 and driven it over 120k miles.  Have I used the data?  No.  Will I use it? Probably not.  Will I continue to log it?  Yes.  Is it hard to log? No.  So, I have the data in case I ever need it.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

It's similar, I guess, to my "Camry Log", which shows every penny I've put into the car at the time that I put the penny into the car (purchase, payments, gasoline, service, wear & tear, etc.).  I now know (or at least I could know), my cents per mile driven since I purchased the car in 2003 and driven it over 120k miles.  Have I used the data?  No.  Will I use it? Probably not.  Will I continue to log it?  Yes.  Is it hard to log? No.  So, I have the data in case I ever need it.

Seriously? When would you ever need that info?

Seriously? When would you ever need that info?

It's a game I play.  I started it back then based on an old "click 'n clack" monologue I heard on NPR, and my wife and oldest son absolutely hate the log.

But, I have multiple pages of information that's mostly been logged in excel that I break out on occasion when people talk about the deal they got on their new car, and I begin to reveal the cents per mile that they'll drive compared to the cents per mile that I'm driving.

Interestingly though, I know the seasonality in price per gallon at the pump as well as when the ethenol gets added to the pumps (decrease in MPG).

BTW, my occupation is data analytics (risk management), and my former hobbies include auto racing (very analytic), and baseball history (sabermetrics).

Life Goals:

Shoe

That is awesome.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a dog log.  Dog is 2 1/2 years old, and was a rescue.  We do not spoil her at all.  So far, just over $5000.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One dog log in the house is ok. If you get more, you need to work on house training.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

♬ Every datum is sacred ♬

jpdeaux

I have a dog log.  Dog is 2 1/2 years old, and was a rescue.  We do not spoil her at all.  So far, just over 5000 miles.

Are you on the RunningAhead Family Plan, or does she have her own running log?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are you on the RunningAhead Family Plan, or does she have her own running log?

And has she tried running like an ostrich?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

And has she tried running like an ostrich?

A large car magnet with no distance written inside is about the size of an ostrich egg.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's a game I play.  I started it back then based on an old "click 'n clack" monologue I heard on NPR, and my wife and oldest son absolutely hate the log.

Oh, dear gawd...my ILs used to keep a log like this.  My MIL probably still does (she's more than a little anal-retentive.  She keeps ugly towels on the seats of her car, too...leather seats that are easily cleaned.  Those towels would drive me nuts.  They don't stay in place).

They never actually looked at this notebook, outside of filling #s in.  So, the point...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, dear gawd...my ILs used to keep a log like this.  My MIL probably still does (she's more than a little anal-retentive.  She keeps ugly towels on the seats of her car, too...leather seats that are easily cleaned.  Those towels would drive me nuts.  They don't stay in place).

They never actually looked at this notebook, outside of filling #s in.  So, the point...?

My son is now 17 1/2 years old, and has inherited the camry from me.  He keeps up with the log, and when he's riding with his friends, he makes them log the data points while he's pumping the gas.

He's been driving the card for 1 1/2 years, and EVERY TIME I enter the car, I ask him to hand me the book.  I just look at the pages.

It's kind of funny, and I bet he'll remember being forced to do it.

I also have a Jetta log and an Expedition log that has 2 and 4 years of data.

Again, I know it has no value other than to iritate my family and allow me to spend an hour or two creating charts and graphs while riding in the car on family vacations.

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Again, I know it has no value other than to iritate my family...

That, alone, makes it worthwhile.  But that's about the only legitimate purpose I can see. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

Sounds like good financial data-keeping to me. (Okay, I don't actually "log" everything, only gas info. But I keep all the other receipts and could play analysis if I so desired.)

...And I (at times) use towels on leather seats for temperature moderation rather than cleanliness. Okay, well, one more "actually." Actually, I use a dog seat cover on the driver's seat most of the time. It keeps the seat dry when I'm all sweaty from a ride or run.

xor

Fair enough... I realize that it isn't all good (or would it be "aren't all good")... Smile

But, what I was trying to say is that the collection of information (whether it is used today or not) is "ok".
                                Collect it, retain it, and analyze it later (if you want).

Or spend that amount of time doing something useful and fulfilling.

Honestly, I'm not trying to say you should/shouldn't keep meticulous records about cars or running or (whatever the subject is), that's up to you.  But you are prescribing this as a "do it, it's good!" thing to others.

Really, no.  It perhaps is not.  I think it depends on the subject and one's personal attachment to it.  Sounds to me like you do it for several subjects... do you have a bookcase filled with notebooks of "data"?