The point of a plan is... ? (Read 902 times)

I know race preparation plans are very popular, but what exactly do they offer someone who's already got a solid base? I'm not speaking of myself here, for I am only just building mine, but for some of the much more experienced runners around here, what would be the advantage? Would a plan for a very experienced runner just push up the mileage beyond what is reasonable to maintain consistently for the purpose of a goal race and also throw in race specific speedwork in order to assist in peaking for the race? I guess more specifically though, is there anything magic about having a plan? Is there a downside to just slowly building your miles, maybe even holding them steady for a while, but still running the occasional race? What would a race plan offer to someone who has the base that most beginner plans work up toward, but doesn't yet need the razor honing that a really good runner gets from an advanced level plan? After writing this, it sounds a little dumb and like I've answered at least some of my own questions. Nevertheless, I'd appreciate the perspective of some of the more experienced runners around here. Even if it is just to tell me I'm a dumbass. Wink
    Brandon
    Scout7

A plan is useful for a couple of different reasons, and each depends on the person in question. For some, a plan is useful because it gives them a reason to get out the door; it's a motivational factor. For some, a plan is useful because they don't thoroughly understand all the ins and outs of training yet, and gives them an idea of what to expect. For some, it works as a way to segment their training. It shows when they are doing prep stuff, when they start to introduce speed work, etc. This type of plan tends to be much larger and longer in scope than the traditional "X weeks to your [insert race distance]". You don't need a plan. I would argue that just planning on running consistently is a plan in and of itself, at its most basic level.

I don't use canned plans out of a book or off the internet, but my understanding is that those are best for folks that don't really know how to train yourself and help you reach a goal by gradually building up your workload and avoiding injury. For myself, I plan about 12-18 months in advance what my goals are going to be (although that might dwindle to as little as 6 months in advance as time moves forward.) I then take the first major goal, usually 3-4 months out, and decide what I need to be able to do in order to get that goal. I'll schedule some checkpoints between now and then, usually races or specific key workouts, and plan a natural progression to make sure that I am on track and that my goal is still realistic. In terms of actually planning workouts, I rarely schedule more than a week or two in advance. A season has a few distinct parts, and the smart folks try to hit each of these phases and not skip over them. First, there is base building. Then, there is sharpening. Then there is a taper or peaking phase, depending upon whether you are aiming at one race or multiple races over a few weeks. Then there is recovery. Here's an example of my goals and training plan from last November. First, I wanted to run a 2:45:00 marathon this May unless one of my teammates went faster than that in the Olympic Trials, in which case I wanted to run faster than what they ran. Second, I wanted to run a sub-16:00 5k in late Summer or early Autumn. Once I had that planned out, I looked at what I needed to do for the May marathon. I determined that I would need to be able to run around 6 minute pace or better in a relatively easy race effort (still a tougher effort than tempo but not all out) for a 10 miler in February and a half marathon in March. I wanted to be running in the high 60s or low 70s mileage wise around then, and go into a marathon at the end of March (5 weeks before my goal marathon) and be able to run an easy 3 hours. Between the two marathons I wanted to run around 50 miles 1 week, around 70 miles the next 2 to 3 weeks, and then around 50 miles on race week (including the race.) Well, I mostly made my goals, except for the weeks between the two marathons when I got a little sick and had slightly lower mileage. 2 weeks before my goal race, one of my teammates ran a 2:37 at the Olympic Trials, and I missed making that time in my race. I did run the sub-2:45:00 though. Now it's time for recovery miles for the rest of May and planning out what I want to do to get to sub-16 in August. I went through a similar process. Individual workouts were decided about a week in advance. You can follow my thinking on how I planned that out specifically in this thread: http://runningahead.com/groups/RACF/Forum/5e4889e4d02f457382b67e43cc2aaa6b So having a plan lets me check my level of fitness at specific points and make sure that I get to that level of fitness that I want, so that I can have the performance that I want out of my body. Just pushing up mileage is a great way to go for beginner runners and that is where you will see the greatest gains in your race times. Once you get to a certain point, you are going to need to stress your body out a little more to get those extra few seconds or minutes (depending upon distance.) In either case, having a plan helps you get those extra stresses on your body (either extra miles or more intense workouts) safely and without getting injured. Because getting injured is counterproductive, and its easier to do when you just go out and run as far and as hard as you can every day.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

What Scout7 and Run to Win said. Since I'm an older female (but newish to running) that runs trails and likes longer stuff (not to mention snowshoe running in winter), the canned programs aren't adequate for me, but I've taken the principles and my local topography and build loose outlines of workouts - and adjust as my body adapts or complains I'm pushing it too hard. "Plans" - even loose ones - help one get balance in one's training and make sure the main stresses / recovery are being achieved. When I was mostly building base, I mostly just ran - different durations, different kinds of hills, different intensities (below LT). But I'm at a point where more structure and more kinds of certain stresses help.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          JakeKnight

Mandatory opening line: you're a dumbass. Legally required disclaimer of late: that was a joke. Obligatory tone setter: Tongue Okay, you've heard from the real runners, now the average schmoes perspective, based on what works for me:
            I know race preparation plans are very popular, but what exactly do they offer someone who's already got a solid base?
            If you're asking about generic plans from some book or website, my answer is: not much. If you mean a plan tailored to you, your goals, your abilities, and your life: maybe a whole lot. The problem is that people rely way too heavily on the former and then wonder why one size doesn't fit all. The easy answer: plans allow you to peak for races, to plan specifically for a specific length, and maximize your performance on time for that race. And the pre-prepared plans have the benefit of using the science without requiring you to actually take the time to understand it. So if you don't care to learn the details, but just follow a plan ... you'll move towards your goals. It'd be better to understand it, learn through years (decades) of experience how it all applies to you, then create your own plans for yourself. With the help of a coach working directly with you. But since that's not feasible for most of us, we fall back to a handful of plans. (shrug). (shrug)(foul: excessive shrugging). I just run. As frequently as I can. Mostly really easy. Sometimes really hard. Racing as much as possible. Works fine so far.
            Would a plan for a very experienced runner just push up the mileage beyond what is reasonable to maintain consistently for the purpose of a goal race and also throw in race specific speedwork in order to assist in peaking for the race?
            Sounds about right. Not sure if its necessary to push miles beyond "reasonable," except maybe most people don't really want to run 70+ mpw year round, but they'll do it as part of a marathon training cycle.
            I guess more specifically though, is there anything magic about having a plan?
            Nope. Truth is most folks improve dramatically doing nothing but running lots of slow, easy miles, consistently, and staying uninjured. Somebody should post a link to that Scandinavian guy who did exactly that for years and years. No plan at all, just running miles and miles in the hills. Then started breaking world records. For mere mortals, though ... at some point, when its time to narrow your focus, you'll probably want a plan. When you get close to some goal - a BQ? - you'll want to sharpen your training to shave off seconds or minutes. Maybe then its plan time. Or maybe not. Maybe just run more. Experiment and see what works.
            Is there a downside to just slowly building your miles, maybe even holding them steady for a while, but still running the occasional race?
            Nope. I don't see one. Except that you won't be "peaking" for specific races. If that doesn't matter to you, then definitely nope. Where you're at now its all cake time anyway. Frosting comes later.
            What would a race plan offer to someone who has the base that most beginner plans work up toward, but doesn't yet need the razor honing that a really good runner gets from an advanced level plan?
            I don't know. Structure? Some people like or need that. Motivation? Again, some people are motivated by following a road map. The spice of variety? The good thing about a plan is there'll be a little variety in there. Of course, you can do that without a plan, can't you?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

I think the right kind of plan can be tremendously useful for a runner who understand the complex elements of training (LT runs, intervals, recovery, periodization, etc.) but who doesn't yet have the years of experience to piece together their own regimen. A smart runner knows that LT runs are beneficial, but might not know how often to run them, how far to run them in the context of their current weekly mileage, how to space them with other hard workouts, or how to safely build their intensity over the course of a build-up for a goal race. A plan can answer all these questions. A smart runner knows that intervals are beneficial, but might not know how often to run them, how to use different length intervals in the context of different length goals races, or when to include them in the sequence of training for a goal race. A plan can answer all these questions. A smart runner knows that recovery is beneficial, but might not know when to use active recovery versus rest days, how much active recovery is appropriate in the context of their current weekly mileage, or how to space recovery days to optimally alongside hard workouts. A plan can answer all these questions. These are just a few specific examples. Think of all the questions that smart runners ask about long runs, striders, two-a-days, tune up races, etc. etc. etc. A plan can answer all these questions. Ideally we'd all have decades of experience, have access to coaches, and train alongside and learn from other national class athletes. For these people, plans out of books don't make a lot of sense. But for the average smart runner wanting to improve their knowledge and their running at the same time, the plans can be an invaluable resource. Two post-scripts: First, you don't need a plan to learn all of the things described above. There are lots of ways for a smart runner to become a smarter runner than don't involve following a plan. But, the plans do eliminate some of the guesswork albeit at the expense of being one-size-fit-all. Second, sadly, the plans aren't magic. Wink You still have to put in the training. But when its time to step up your training, to put it simply, you have three choices: train more, train smarter, or train more and smarter. Plans are a tool that can help you safely and effectively do the later.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I have bought a few of the books out there and they all lay out their tables and the workouts and then at the end of the books, most have some sort of generic plan which includes a long run, and some rest days and then some intervals and then a taper. Its not that simple and its just a generic framework of what may be a starting point, and a direction. You have to learn on your own what works for you, for example, I slow down and run really easy at lower HR's than the plans recommend for about an hour a day for a month, and I feel better, but nowhere will it tell me to slow down, maybe I am just giving my body a good active break. There is a bunch of information out there and you have to sort it all out, sometimes you get lucky and other times you have to figure it out. But there is so much more than the running aspect like diet, stretching techniques, running shoe choices, cross training, running indoors versus outdoors, so its a complex formula that has a bunch of variables besides a 20 week plan of long runs on the weekends.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Caveat, I'm not an experienced runner but I've been thinking about running a lot and here's my perspective and it follows what JakeKnight says. I've been running consistently for about a 10 months now with no plan. About 99% of them just slow miles. I started out at a ~12 min easy run pace, then every 3-4 weeks, it would get easier and I would go a little faster and so on. Now, I'm running my easy runs at around 10 min pace. Yeah, it's still slow compared to a lot of people but it's a pace I can run everyday. I can feel myself getting faster slowly and surely and this is just from running consistently. It's definitely a slow process though. Sometimes I get frustrated and think, why aren't I running 8 min miles by now! then I snap to reality and slap myself and say think of the long road. I don't see myself getting close to a level where I need speedwork until at least a year from now, probably more. I think they said your running improves for 5-7 years after you start, don't remember where I read that. I think patience is key in running, it's definitely something I've learned from it. Okay, I'm rambling now but my having longer term goals helps me be patient. My long term goal is to BQ before I'm 35. That gives me about 3+ years to do it. I figure at the rate I'm going, I'll have a shot at in in maybe 2 years?
                  Chris UK

I don't see myself getting close to a level where I need speedwork until at least a year from now, probably more. I think they said your running improves for 5-7 years after you start, don't remember where I read that. I think patience is key in running, it's definitely something I've learned from it.
                    Amen to this. Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

Some people are planners and some not. Some people need to plan things out specifically, others prefer a rough outline and filling in the details as they go. But I think for a lot of new runners, following a plan is as much about making running a habit without thinking too much as it is about planning. Following a plan written by an "expert" and dutifully checking off the workouts and weeks is a way to disassociate from the simple act of going out every day and slowly removing rubber from the bottoms of their trainers. Whatever gets you out the door, I guess.

Runners run

Wow. The responses were even better than I'd hoped. I've learned a lot folks. Thanks. I guess I was really targeting the cookie-cutter plans, and not thinking about how a more customized plan is beneficial. That said, I have my own sort of home-made plan, but it's not much more than trying to shift around my "harder" workouts (I don't run any actually hard workouts yet, but some are a little more demanding) and giving myself plenty of recovery runs while slowly increasing my mileage.
                          Brandon
                            Some people are planners and some not. Some people need to plan things out specifically, others prefer a rough outline and filling in the details as they go. But I think for a lot of new runners, following a plan is as much about making running a habit without thinking too much as it is about planning. Following a plan written by an "expert" and dutifully checking off the workouts and weeks is a way to disassociate from the simple act of going out every day and slowly removing rubber from the bottoms of their trainers. Whatever gets you out the door, I guess.
                            Speaking for myself as a newer runner ( a year almost into this ) I could not agree more with you. Plans are the motivator that keep you from giving up. Very well put. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I can't speak from a wealth of experience, but that has never stopped me before! I did find that the first plan I followed for a half-marathon was helpful in introducing me to tempo runs. Running tempo workouts gave me confidence that I could sustain a faster pace over a longer time, and helped me plan regarding my race pace. I likely achieved a faster time than if I had just run without a plan, because I wouldn't have felt confident in pushing the pace. I would imagine, as Blaine demonstrated in his post, you can have a plan without having a "capital P, notorized by professional running guru, printed off the internet or cribbed from Runners World" plan. MTA: A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.

A Saucy Wench

I guess more specifically though, is there anything magic about having a plan? Is there a downside to just slowly building your miles, maybe even holding them steady for a while, but still running the occasional race? What would a race plan offer to someone who has the base that most beginner plans work up toward, but doesn't yet need the razor honing that a really good runner gets from an advanced level plan?
                                Is this not a plan? Seriously, for a good part of my year my plan was "ramp to generally 40 mpw and hold it around there with long runs between 12 and 16 and race about once a month" Then when I got to specific times I got more specific. Are you asking specifically of a canned plan or just a plan in general. So here is my plan: About a month before a training cycle starts I write out my plan. This is pretty specific. Counts down the weeks to the big race or whatever. Mileage and if I choose speedwork. I personally dont put pace in mine. I start with my basic structure and then put in my long runs, ramp my midweek runs as appropriate, decide what days I want to do speedwork and put in a rough structure of that. Then I put in all the little races I plan to do along the way and how that adjusts the plan. Then I put in all of dh's conflicts that will screw with my plan and adjust the plan Then I put in all of my TP's conflicts and see if I can adjust to accomodate. Then I mostly go run what seems appropriate on the given day/week/humidity whatever. But having the plan reminds me of where I am going. I would NOT have dragged my butt out of bed yesterday without a plan. It helps me to see where I need to be so I know WHY I am running X this week and not next week. I probably would have run too much today without a plan and that would have made me unhappy this weekend. And then life happens and I adjust. 2 weeks ago I was sick and missed a big run, so I adjusted the plan.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7