SPAM (Read 887 times)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how to stop what is becoming an uncontrollable amount of spam in my Outlook Express email? There was a msg on the radio the other day from some state politician about prescription drugs. Of course, I went to it and now all I'm getting is a gazillion emails about Candian drugs!! Every time I get one, I create a message rule from it and tell Outlook Express for any message, for ex, with the word ______ in it, delete it from the server. I also block the sender but that doesn't do anything because they constantly use different email addresses. They keep changing the content of the messages too, but what puzzles me is that I'm still getting some that I've set qualifiers for already. I did discover that when I highlight and paste particular words, when they're pasted they aren't the same as what you're actually seeing...so maybe that's one reason they're still getting through. But when I cut and paste words that don't change that are from the same message, it still doesn't block them. Hope that made sense. Any ideas anyone?
    PWL

Has been

I use gmail, google's e-mail client. I used to use Yahoo but I had the same problem you were having. Google's spam filter seems to catch pretty much everything, I think maybe 5 spam messages have slipped past in the two years I've used it. Once you get on "the list" (i.e. spammers list) you will never get your e-mail address off. I tend to change my e-mail address every couple of years to help prevent that. Good Luck!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

mikeymike

Yeah, change your email. If you sign up for stuff or buy stuff online, always use a disposable email address. I use Gmail also and I'm very happy with it. I have one Gmail address I use for registering for and buying stuff (the disposable one) and one I give out to friends and family and use on resumes, etc. I have the registering one forwarded to the other one so that if I start to get a lot of spam the registering address I can just kill that one, but so far Gmail has been really good at blocking it and I haven't had a problem with spam.

Runners run

I use gmail, google's e-mail client. I used to use Yahoo but I had the same problem you were having. Google's spam filter seems to catch pretty much everything, I think maybe 5 spam messages have slipped past in the two years I've used it. Once you get on "the list" (i.e. spammers list) you will never get your e-mail address off. I tend to change my e-mail address every couple of years to help prevent that. Good Luck!
          Yeah...I was over here thinking the same thing- change the email. I have a lot of things linked to this particular email so it'd be sort of a pain to change everything, but I might have to do it. This is crazy! Thanks PWL!
          Scout7

Yeah, change your email. If you sign up for stuff or buy stuff online, always use a disposable email address.
            x2 on the disposable email account. Since they're free, it works well.
              Yeah, change your email. If you sign up for stuff or buy stuff online, always use a disposable email address.
              Great idea. Thanks. I've used this particular email for quite a long time, even ordering things...but I must have stumbled on the wrong site(s) recently. They've found me!! Tongue
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

What is this spam that everyone talks about? I get a lot of emails a day, many from people that I don't know, which I attributed to my reputation for being an honest, down to earth, and wealthy guy. Frankly, they make me feel special. People from as far away as Russia, China, and even Nigeria have contacted me. They entrusted me with the task of helping them fix abandoned bank accounts of dead oil tycoons and corrupt governments. That makes me feel like a modern day Robin Hood. Even companies have reached out to me, inviting me to be their proxy and collect money for them. They know that I am trust worthy enough to only keep 15% of the revenue and not a penny more. Some of them even give me free medical insurance! I also get emails from hot young ladies wanting to be my friends. I'm not going to lie to you. I look like a troll but they see beyond that. They see my big (healthy runner) heart; my trusting nature; and having a big wallet probably helps too but you know what, you get what you pay for. They just want to exchange emails and perhaps pictures with me, what harm can that do? Companies have contacted me with products that will make me look and feel better for these hot young ladies. They know that I will need the extra stamina. Who said that companies only care about the bottom line? Some people even gave me secret stock tips voluntarily, explaining why a certain stock will double or triple in value in a month. They could have kept these block buster stocks to themselves but they shared, with me! I don't know why I am so popular or loved, but I know that the Internet has reached the main stream when my banks continue to tighten their security and were kind enough to send me emails reminding me to update my information before my accounts are locked out. I can't imagine what life was like before the interweb. Thanks Al Gore!
                  What is this spam that everyone talks about? I get a lot of emails a day, many from people that I don't know, which I attributed to my reputation for being an honest, down to earth, and wealthy guy. Frankly, they make me feel special.
                  LMBO! Awww...Eric, you *know* you're special!! I just didn't realize that those spammers were so caring! They're just concerned about my health apparently as they think I need A LOT of drugs!! Big grin
                    Classic, Eric. Still laughing.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My recommendation is to get 2 gmail accounts. 1. Personal Account 2. Other for junk... message boards, whatever I agree that www.gmail.com cuts down on spam. One cool benefit of using GMAIL gMail also lets you create simple aliases. For example, your email is BLAHBLAHHEAD@gmail.com. You could sign up for amazon.com as BLAHBLAHHEAD+amazon@gmail.com which will route emails to your BLAHBLAHHEAD@gmail.com. If you get spam to the +amazon address you can probably safely assume amazon gave out your email address some how. Some websites do not allow you to use the '+' sign. Thankfully, the developer of runningahead.com allows them. Taking it a step further Setup your own hosting plan... have specific email address for specific groups... amazon@sockoni.com... public@sockoni.com... specialfriend@sockoni.com... I use both Yahoo and Gmail. Both have their own benefits. I tend to use yahoo more for personal stuff and gmail for websites and organizations I am involved with. Compared to GMAIL, my yahoo account still gets loaded with spam on occasion. (Maybe I ticked somebody off... hmmm... I tend to get the keep it rigid when it's frigid spam.) *********************** HiJacking Any of you found an invitation service you like over evite? I have thought of creating a simple one, just cause evite is clunky, slow and awkward. -email guests -have an rsvp list -send out reminders to rsvp'ed folks

Vim

Eric - you are special Big grin Joni - lucky for me my internet provider offers a filtering service for my email - costs me $1/month and worth every penny! I also have Gmail - filters work great - hadn't thought of setting up a 2nd account for private stuff - but since I still can't open my .pst files I saved before I did my reformat Angry, I'm seriously thinking of not even using Outlook anymore.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Thanks Modal! (Love the lemons btw!) Big grin Cheryl, I'd pay the dollar too! Big grin Who is SME? First thing I thought was Mr. Smee from Captain Hook. Short an "E", and I'm doubting you want to be like him...although he is kinda cute.
                            Thanks Modal! (Love the lemons btw!) Big grin Cheryl, I'd pay the dollar too! Big grin Who is SME? First thing I thought was Mr. Smee from Captain Hook. Short an "E", and I'm doubting you want to be like him...although he is kinda cute.
                            Modal - I love the lemons too! no, Joni - no that s.m.e. Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

no, Joni - no that s.m.e. Wink
                              Confused Society of Manufacturing Engineer? You want to be like a Small and Medium Enterprise? Possibly a Subject Matter Expert?
                                Confused Society of Manufacturing Engineer? You want to be like a Small and Medium Enterprise? Possibly a Subject Matter Expert?
                                Yup Big grin

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group