graphing long vs easy (Read 1058 times)

At what point do I change categorizing and changing my easy runs to long...I started out with 3 mile easy runs and they have become so easy that now I am running 6ish miles that seem "easy" and I am running them more frequently...when I am logging should I start calling these 6 milers easy? I know in the end it doesnt really matter, but I was just curious. You can check out my log to see what I am talking about...thanks in advance!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I always plan to do one run each week that is longer than my usual ones, so that is my "long" run on my graph. So now I'm doing 5- and 6-mile runs mostly, but I'm bumping up one run each week to get to half marathon length before long (since I have one coming up in three weeks!).
      MikeB-BoR

I do the same thing as Teresa. I have one day a week that I run longer then all the others. That is my "long" run. It's neat to watch your "long" runs move into the easy area.

Goals :
        •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

Mishka-old log

It's up to you. I don't have a set distance. It changes depending on where I'm at in my training. For example, anything under 10, I consider to be "easy," or at least not a long run. When I'm running ~40 mpw, 10-12 is a long run. When I'm running ~60 mpw, I don't really consider runs to be "long runs" until they're in the >12 range.

Right on Hereford...

Here is the formula for deciding whether a run is long or not. 1. Look at your log for the past month and add up the total miles run (TMR). 2. Add up the total number of runs (TNOR). 3. Divide TMR by TNOR. This is your average miles per run quotient (AMPRQ). 4. Multiply AMPRQ by pi and divide by 2. This is your long run equivalency constant (LREC). 5. Compare a given run r to LREC. Any r >= LREC is a long run.
            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

For me it's pace and distance. My easy runs are easy, but my pace for my long run is even slower than that, and it's the longest run of my week. I will (hopefully in the near future), get to the point where my easy runs are longer than my previous long runs. Just mileage building now, so I don't do many other workouts.
                Here is the formula for deciding whether a run is long or not. 1. Look at your log for the past month and add up the total miles run (TMR). 2. Add up the total number of runs (TNOR). 3. Divide TMR by TNOR. This is your average miles per run quotient (AMPRQ). 4. Multiply AMPRQ by pi and divide by 2. This is your long run equivalency constant (LREC). 5. Compare a given run r to LREC. Any r >= LREC is a long run.
                Wait-is this going to be on the test? Shocked

...---...

For me it's pace and distance.
                  Same here.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

TJoseph

Perfect!
                    mikeymike

I stopped labeling runs as "long" because I figured it's not that hard to look at a week in the calendar or graph and figure out which ones were the long runs.

Runners run

I agree that I find no use in labeling runs "long" if they are just run at an easy pace - they can just be called easy and you can see from the graph which ones are longer or shorter. If you are doing "special" long runs, i.e. McMillan type 1 and type 2 long runs and they are different enough from your normal easy runs with respect to fueling, shoes, surface, clothing, pace(s) etc, then it might make sense to have different categories and label them as such.
                          "Long" runs are long relative to rest of your current week or specific goals. When starting, 3 miles may be long. When training for an ultra, 3 hours may be intermediate.
                          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Right on Hereford...

"Long" runs are long relative to rest of your current week or specific goals. When starting, 3 miles may be long. When training for an ultra, 3 hours may be intermediate.
                            Exactly! But I thought I already made that crystal clear in my easy 5-step formula... Big grin
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Exactly! But I thought I already made that crystal clear in my easy 5-step formula... Big grin
                              When I read your easy 5-step formula, my first thought was "Engineer!" and I was right. DH and I are both engineers, so I understand your compulsion to quantify and "simplify" everything.
                                When I read your easy 5-step formula, my first thought was "Engineer!" and I was right. DH and I are both engineers, so I understand your compulsion to quantify and "simplify" everything.
                                When I read the quote I thought "Must be an engineer". I understand the "quantify" statement but am still confused at the "simplify" (great post though) I started out logging 6 miles as a long run several years ago and now log anything 10 or more. I try and use my weekly long run during the off season as the basis for what I call a long run while training for a marathon.