Is there any reason a female shouldn't wear men's running shoes? (Read 2023 times)

I ended up at the running store tonight looking for a new pair of shoes. I am a hard fit because my feet have been widening more and more with running. Two years ago I wore size 10 shoes, but now I am up to 11 wide. I still have very high arches and wear custom orthotics which puts my foot even higher up in the shoe so the top of my foot is snug in a lot of brands. I tried on at least a dozen women's shoes and while some felt close to a good fit, they all seemed to have minor issues (toe rubbing, heel slipping, etc). There were a couple of shoes that would have felt better if I went up a size or width, but the store didn't have them at the moment. I was going to settle for Asics GT 2130s with some minor heel slipping when the owner suggested trying a men's shoe. He pulled out the men's Adidas Supernova Sequence in 9.5 and they were perfect. Nice and roomy in the toe box, snug heal, good length. It was love. So my question is... is there any reason a women can't wear men's shoes? The owner of the running store didn't think so and since it's a very reputable place and I have loved the past 2 pairs of shoes they recommended, I trust his opinion but want to see if anyone else had thoughts about it. Are the biomechanics so different that women shouldn't wear men's shoes? The only information I can come across online is that mens's shoes are generally wider and made for heavier people (which isn't a bad thing since I have put on some weight recently putting me near the upper end of the recommended range for my height). Other than the fact that my dad runs in the same shoe and we will probably get them mixed up next time I go home to visit, is there a good reason to take these shoes back and keep searching?

A Saucy Wench

Its all about fit. If the men's shoes fit you better then wear them. Most women have more triangular feet than men do and the arch is in a slightly different place. But if the men's shoes fit you better then they are the right shoe for you. My guess is the "generalities" of how women's feet are shaped may break down at bigger sizes anyway. Write or draw a little something on the back of your shoe with sharpie when you go home to visit dad. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

obsessor

triangular? what the heck's that mean? I like women's XC shoes. Less support, and lighter. If you pass me during a race, feel free to chuckle.

A Saucy Wench

triangular? what the heck's that mean? I like women's XC shoes. Less support, and lighter. If you pass me during a race, feel free to chuckle.
          Women tend to have a narrower heel in relationship to the width of the ball of the foot. More like duck feet. Men's tend to be more rectangular. In general.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Women tend to have a narrower heel in relationship to the width of the ball of the foot. More like duck feet.
            Yes. Shaunna, one other thing to try might be something like the NB 768 in a wide (or maybe the 1223 or new 1224 that are their top-of-the-line stability model). I'm stuck with NB because of my own "duck feet" issues. I had a pair of the 768s, but they were too stiff for me. I had the same issue with the Asics GT2130. Overall the shoes are VERY similar, but the 768 had a better fit. They also have a very deep toe box (most NB shoes do) and fairly roomy midfoot, so they may accommodate orthotics better for you, too. Other than that, I'd say if the guys' shoe works better--go for it. Sometimes they get better color options, too. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks everyone. Obsessor, I don't think there is any risk of me passing you during a race, even in men's shoes Wink Kirsten, the NB 768's were my second favorite. They felt great in the toe box, but the store only had them in 10.5 wide and my big toe was rubbing against the end of the shoe a little. If they had carried them in 11 wide I think I would have ended up with those. I tried the new top of the line NB model and hated it- the sides of the shoe were really stiff. For such an expensive and hyped shoe I was not impressed. I think I will stay with these shoes. I have 30 days to try them out, and if they don't seem right I can go off in search of the right size of NB 768's. Thanks again!
              Scout7

You might grow testicles and become infatuated with your own chest. Other than that, perfectly safe.
                mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Many many years ago when I worked in the "shoe" dept. at a local sporting goods store we would get several women runners who came in for running shoes, that would end up buying the men's version of a shoe because it fit them better. This was back in the early 80's, before many companies were making various widths available. They must have been happy with them, because they kept coming back in every few months to get another pair. Granted, technology has improved since then, and more widths are available now, but I'm not aware of any physiological differences in foot structure between men and women that would preclude you doing this. If the shoes fit well, and are comfortable for you, give them a try. You'll know for sure after a few runs if they truly work for you (NB: make sure the store will take them back if they don't). nevermind, Cheddar, you've got the 30 day window all set.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I will stay with these shoes. I have 30 days to try them out, and if they don't seem right I can go off in search of the right size of NB 768's. Thanks again!
                    Good plan! And I think the 769s are to be released soon, so you could probably get a good deal on the 768s in another month, too! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

If the shoe fits... Oh, and I agree with Scout, though, if you start getting hair on that chest that your infatuated with, you may want to switch back to womens' shoes. Big grin On a separate note Shaunna, it's so awesome to see you on the boards and putting in some miles!

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

You might grow testicles and become infatuated with your own chest.
                        hah!
                          On a separate note Shaunna, it's so awesome to see you on the boards and putting in some miles!
                          I could say the same for you. Great to see you around here again Smile My knee still isn't right even after the surgery. My current shoes only have ~100 miles on them but seeing as how I was wearing a different pair of the same shoe when I first got injured I figured it is worth a shot to try changing shoes. Maybe going male is the trick Wink I am also using electrical stimulation a few times a day to deal with pain/swelling. I'm willing to try anything to get back to running. Three miles is better than nothing but I hate running only 1.5 away and having to turn around to come back so quickly. I want to be able to run long again!
                            Bump. I'm interested to see how the shoes are working for you. I can relate to some of your sizing issues. Did you keep them?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I have asked this question in reverse many times because I have the opposite problem in that I wear a mens size 5.5 to 6.5 (depending on the shoe) and can rarely if ever find them. So my question has constantly been can a man wear a woman's shoes and be OK....and the answer I have gotten over and over is that yes they are the same, but you must watch for, or be careful about the width (and make sure you have a proper width fit)..... I did come cross a person recently that used to be a running shoe designer for more then one of the major companies and he said that there is no difference between the shoes for men or women (but the color and marketing)...and for me to never hesitate to buy womens if they fit........ SO Im sure he would give the same advice to you.... Smile Big grin Wink You want to trade feet??? I have found some great fitting womens running shoes a few times that were pink or yellow......and as much as I will wear women's sizes, I still refuse to wear their colors...... Shocked Roll eyes Shocked You are fine with mens..........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes, I kept them and I really like them. The fit of the shoe is great. I ended up taking them with me when I was traveling for 5 weeks so I wore them for running as well as walking and day-to-day activities. They felt really good the entire time, but got beat up pretty quickly from all the use. So even though they only have 260 miles or so on them I, I have pretty much limited them to a mostly-walking shoe and am rotating some other kinds in (including the female version of the shoe, which is ok though it doesn't fit as well as the male version.) I think if you have similar sizing issues then it is definitely worth looking into a male version.