Shin Splint Compression Sleeve (Read 901 times)

My son is a 17 y.o. cross country runner who, in his senior year of high school, is struggling with bad shin splints. I've had him ice. He's also taking ibuprofen to decrease the swelling. Someone recommended this compression sleeve. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Cho-Pat-Shin-Splint-Sleeve-10098.aspx I guess it can't hurt but am not sure if it will do any good. Any advice from my wise RA friends? Ken
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ken, in my experience what has led to the worst shin splints for me is the wrong shoes--generally shoes with too much or too little stability. I will still get them from time-to-time, but in HS I was plagued by them. Too many miles, too fast will also give me problems or not enough rest. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks Kirsten, he's been running in ASICS 2100 - replaced them with same model last month. He says he may want to go back to Nike which he ran with no problems in the past. It's kinda strange. He averaged 35-50 miles/week all summer with no problems. Then, doing 400 m repeats on the track during practice 3 weeks ago, he started feeling the pain. Been hurting ever since. He has a small bump on the side of the left shin. I've been encouraging rest, but, he's kind of a stubborn runner (is there any other kind?).
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd wonder if the recent speedwork is the issue, then. I've had a little bump on my left shin for many months, now. I think I had read that it's like a little hernia on the shin. I deal with what I am certain is chronic compartment syndrome from time to time and I have a feeling it's related to that, in my case. I'd have him see a doctor if he continues to have problems, though. Shin splints are agonizing. No one should have to run in agony. k

~ Sarah Kay

Took him to the Sports Medicine doc who diagnosed him with lateral (anterior) shin splints. TX - rest (he's upset he is missing an invitational on Saturday), ice, ibuprofen, compression, elevation. The team has a certified massage therapist that the coach wants him to see. will therapeutic massage be helpful to shin splints?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I've never had massage for shin splints, but I can't see that it would hurt. If it's free, then he gets free massage--lucky guy! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

My wife has used these are they are great. You might want to make sure your son has the correct shoes. I think a lot of stores will push stability shoes for everyone when they are the worst thing for you if you don't need them.
                  i wore those in college... everyone would make fun at me.. call me the bionic man.... wasn't the greatest thing in the world when you would line up to run the 110 hurdles and you have people asking if your legs are real... the speed work is more than likely the culprit... sprinting is a different strike pattern.. it puts you more on your toes which in turns works out the calves.. his shin muscles are probably a little overwhelmed with dealing with the mileage and now the speed work... get him to spend more time stretching his calves and shins and he should start to notice a difference. if his coach has angle boxes have him get some time on those.. angle boxes are normally used for strengthening your ankles, but are also good for the shins because of the different muscles they work to control the jump... he should also talk to his coach/trainer about other shin strengthening exercises.. they wont fix it over night, but in long run, they will pay off.. you could also try shoe inserts.. but i would limit the number of things you try as one could offset another and leave the end result as the same... I would not recommend the compression sleeves for a long term fix... from my experiences, they really do not do a lot... in my case, when i would pole vault, i couldn't walk after i jumped because my shins would hurt to bad.. with the compression sleeves, i could walk, a little but i would still have to ice them before my next attempt; but they could be enough to allow your son to compete in the meet....

Burninated Peasant

For some reason I saw this thread title and thought it was "Shin Splint Congressman Steve".