Finished OHR, what next? (Read 726 times)

stoneyb

I've just completed the one hour runner programme and was wanting advise what to do next. I really enjoy just running slow and running for time rather than distance. Is there a follow on programme, like ohr was for c25k? I need a programme to follow to keep me motivated. Thanks
    alexthecat

The intermediate training schedule from The Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott might be one to consider. It is a 16-week plan that starts with three 30-minute runs and one 35-minute run per week and builds to five runs per week, including a 60-minute long run. I guess it depends on whether you want to run more days. I don't want to put the schedule here because there may be copyright issues. I found it online by googling "intermediate training schedule" (in quotes) and dagny (outside the quotes). That only returned one result, which I selected and then scrolled to page 59. Good luck, whatever you decide and congrats on coming so far with your running.
      va

stoneyb, Next step is to pick a race to compete in and find a training plan for that distance (e.g., Hal Higdon's 5k Novice Plan).
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

What comes next is gonna depend on your goals. Since you like to run at an easy pace, simply increasing your distance, that would be the natural thing to continue doing. Simply add a bit of distance here and there, keeping your increases under 10%. Add an extra day, a short run, and build on that. If, at some point, speed becomes important to you, it would be a good idea to build your running library. Pick up some books by the major coach/authors like Pfitzinger, Daniels, Galloway or Higdon. They all have much to offer; find out what what applies most directly to your running and take it from there. Schedules are very helpful; they're not the right answer for every situation.
            The intermediate training schedule from The Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott might be one to consider. It is a 16-week plan that starts with three 30-minute runs and one 35-minute run per week and builds to five runs per week, including a 60-minute long run. I guess it depends on whether you want to run more days. I don't want to put the schedule here because there may be copyright issues. I found it online by googling "intermediate training schedule" (in quotes) and dagny (outside the quotes). That only returned one result, which I selected and then scrolled to page 59. Good luck, whatever you decide and congrats on coming so far with your running.
            Thanks alexthecat! The wife and I are getting towards the end of OHR and had already been talking about what we were going to do for another training program. With your search tips I was able to locate the plan; it looks like a good fit for us since we have only been running since September 07 and are still building base miles. Thanks again....RCR and CH Big grin