The physics of chocolate (Read 1132 times)

A Saucy Wench

Christmas chocolates have no calories.  Eat them all before Xmas. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

what the hell is wrong with you?

+1

xor

5 cals per gram is carbohydrate.

Fat is 9 cals per gram.

The reason to know the % fat is to be able to figure out how many calories the chocolate contains.  Once you know that, you still have to make assumptions about how much eaten is absorbed and about how much absorbed is stored.

Yeah, you eat that five pounds at once, and you won't actually get all that caloric goodness.  You will likely "drop your fatty in the potty".  A few times.

Don't ask me how I know this.

dennrunner

nce you know that, you still have to make assumptions about how much eaten is absorbed and about how much absorbed is stored.

Are there any typical assumptions that can be made regarding absorption and storage?  What factors influence absorption and storage? Genetics?  Physical activity?  Other foods present during digestion?  Blood sugar? Insulin?  Time of day?  Just curious.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are there any typical assumptions that can be made regarding absorption and storage?  What factors influence absorption and storage? Genetics?  Physical activity?  Other foods present during digestion?  Blood sugar? Insulin?  Time of day?  Just curious.

Yep.  All that.  And what srl said (i.e., if you eat all 5 pounds at once, you are likely to pass most of it through into the sewage system).

my sister decorated 24 full sized gingerbread cookies and left them on the kitchen counter.  the dog ate every last one and threw up for 3 days afterwards.

dennrunner

Yep.  All that.  And what srl said (i.e., if you eat all 5 pounds at once, you are likely to pass most of it through into the sewage system).

Ah, so you're saying that jEfFgObLuE actually demonstrated the proper method of eating a box of donuts.  And I thought it was stupid.  Silly me.

How about black chocolate? It is good?

Imminent Catastrophe

Health food.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

gregw

Fat is 9 cals per gram.

The reason to know the % fat is to be able to figure out how many calories the chocolate contains.  Once you know that, you still have to make assumptions about how much eaten is absorbed and about how much absorbed is stored.

I'm a theorist by training but an empiricist at heart.

http://www.positivehealthsteps.com/calories/chocolate-kilojoules-fat.shtml

Dark Chocolate, 1 square, 5 grams, 25 calories.

KymNettles

Incidentally pure dark chocolate has very few calories, but very nutritious. They even give the soldiers as a ration.

It`s my best project anti virus mac.

Incidentally pure dark chocolate has very few calories, but very nutritious. They even give the soldiers as a ration.

The calories bit of this is wrong.

Pure chocolate is so bitter as to be inedible. A good quality dark chocolate bar typically has about 70% cocoa solids and some sugar (as well as other things), and that's about as high as you can go and have something that still tastes OK to eat on its own. This will typically have 500-600 calories per 100g, which is highly calorific (more calories per gram than pure sugar, less than pure fat).

heather85

Aren't carbohydrates 4 Calories per gram?

Imminent Catastrophe

The calories bit of this is wrong.

Pure chocolate is so bitter as to be inedible. A good quality dark chocolate bar typically has about 70% cocoa solids and some sugar (as well as other things), and that's about as high as you can go and have something that still tastes OK to eat on its own.

Apparently you haven't tried the 80% cacao Chocolate above or the 88% bar that I just finished. Mmmmmmm.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Apparently you haven't tried the 80% cacao Chocolate above or the 88% bar that I just finished. Mmmmmmm.

I know some people eat it like that, but mostly people find it too bitter - but either way, the calories thing is much the same.