Adding hill repeats (Read 916 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Sorry in advance for the length of this post... Background: I've been running for two years now, but consistently only since last fall. I've been at 30 - 40 mpw for the last 4 or 5 months. I'm feeling very comfortable with my mileage - no aches/pains, no ibu needed, (tasty beer is my painkiller of choice), finding it very enjoyable blah blah blah. My usual route includes a few rolling hills, nothing major, the largest is an 800 yard-long section that climbs maybe 300 - 400ft, if one believes websites such as mapmyrun or google maps. Typical long run in the 10 - 12mi range, I usually get in a midweek semi-long run around 7 - 8. Almost all of these runs have been done at an easy pace, because I've already done the run-every-run-too-fast, get-injured plan, followed by the jump-right-into-weekly-interval-sessions, get injured plan. These plans taught me that teen XC runners really do get older Big grin Now, however, I think I'm ready to try adding some hill repeats (I like hills - call me a masochist), probably every other week. I've read a lot of different ideas about how long, how many, how to go about it in general - and I wouldn't mind some additional input on that, but the part that really stumps me is, how the heck do I measure the grade?? Do I trust mapmyrun? My Garmin? My memories from high school XC? Does it really matter? Should I STFU and just run? Maybe I've answered my own question... Arla

Ex runner

Lazy idiot

nothing major, the largest is an 800 yard-long section that climbs maybe 300 - 400ft
      This does not sound insignificant, to me. By my calcs (not sure if they're right), that's around a 13% grade. MTA: this helps me: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/ea498a257d23446d93fb41c5d8619fb6#focus

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grade is calculated as a simple % rise over run. Grade is measured in feet of rise divided by feet of run. A course that raises 500 feet in one mile has a grade of (500/5280) = 0.094 = 9.4% Pikes Peak marathon rises 7500 feet net in 13.1 miles. Its average grade is (7500/(13.1*5280)) = = 10.8%
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the largest is an 800 yard-long section that climbs maybe 300 - 400ft
          400/(800 x 3) = 0.167 = 16.7% grade.
            Just run some hill repeats at 400 meter - 200 meter length. Grade is not so important, but I would not want to be climbing a wall! Warm-up a couple miles, do 2 miles worth of climbs ( fast but not ALL-Out) and cool-down a few miles. Done.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Grade is just rise / run, converted to %. So your hill may be about 12 % (300/2400ft) if estimates are accurate. If you're using an online source, like mapmyrun or whatever, a lot depending on accuracy and scale of the underlying elevation model. Where I am in Alaska, it's really bad = useless for rolling hills. I was looking at someone else's elevation profile (mapmyrun, maybe, but don't remember) the other day, and it had a really boxy look to it (artifacts of the model), but her hills were smaller than yours. (Most hills that I worry about these days, I can get a first cut from a topo map, then refine the data with a gps with barometric altimeter after I run it.) But for hill workouts, what you probably want to worry about is how it feels. Assuming you're doing the hill workouts for speed, as opposed to matching some race topography or mostly leg strength, I'd find something that I can run up where I can focus on some forward motion rather than upward. For me, it tends to be near 5-8% give or take a bit. When I get much above 10% (like in the 20-30% range like my rolling hills and some of the mtn trails), then form is sufficiently altered and it's too much resistance for me for that type workout. The steeper hills emphasize strength, and the more gradual ones emphasize speed. For length of hill for what I normally do, I usually like something in the 2-10 min range. Higher intensity stuff I'd probably do on a 30-45 sec hill (I'm at gasping stage at 45 sec on a long staircase, no matter how slow I run.) Longer stuff can be over 1 hr, but that's not the type workout you're looking for. Or you can use something like Lydiard hill drills. Oh, and definitely do not trust Forerunners (at least the 305) for hill data. They are notoriously bad. It's amusing to see it generate a hill in the middle of a flat trail. Handheld garmins with barometric altimeters give better results.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                400/(800 x 3) = 0.167 = 16.7% grade.
                That's probably more than you want in a hill repeat session, but it will toughen you up though! You most likely will never encounter such a grade in a race, so best to train for what you will!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

That's probably more than you want in a hill repeat session, but it will toughen you up though! You most likely will never encounter such a grade in a race, so best to train for what you will!
                  Perhaps in road races, but not too unusual in trail races, esp. mtn races.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Queen of 3rd Place

It's not the calculation that's a problem, it's the field measurement that has me scratchin' my head. I can't exactly float in the air and drop a plumb line down to the bottom. I rechecked mapmyrun.com and it is clearly inaccurate (it shows the river bottom here to be at the same elevation as the blufftop). I'll have to look around for a quality topo, or find a pal with some surveying equipment Wink MTA - yeah, I noticed the garmin 305 wasn't cutting it... Arla

Ex runner

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most mapping tools measure the ground surface at 1/10 mile increments, so you don't have the resolution to determine this. Garmin and Motionbased does a better job in that it has a higher resolution. But you need to make sure that for this type of measurement you have the MB Gravity Service turned off. The Gravity Service tries to correct the elevation based on USGS reference data. This is useful for most runs, but not for this. RA will ultimately have higher resolution.
                        Perhaps in road races, but not too unusual in trail races, esp. mtn races.
                        But what I've learned from experienced trail racers, these would definitely be the ones you'd walk, not run.

Ricky

But what I've learned from experienced trail racers, these would definitely be the ones you'd walk, not run.
                          Depends on length of race, size of hill, and experience of the runner. Yes, in ultras, most people would be hiking them. The experienced mtn runners will run up 15+% extended hills in shorter races. But our local ones have 30% mtns to train on. Notice I said "experienced". Some of the shorter races will have rollers or even 700 ft hills that are 15+%. Rollers can be 30% or so. But even the experienced ones hike the 50% slopes in a "5k" (3000 ft of up in 1 mi). I had an early start on one of our races, and the lead runners were reaching the top (3000ft in 4 mi, steeper at the top end) about the same time I was - and they were running - maybe not fast, but they were running. Those guys are awesome.
                            It's not the calculation that's a problem, it's the field measurement that has me scratchin' my head.
                            See if you can borrow a clinometer or abney level. OR you can rig a poor man's clinometer with a carpenter's rectangle and calibrate it with a plumb bob and line it up along slope. (I've got a picture, but can't figure out how to post it.) Or this could be done with large protractor since it's already marked in degrees. Then you'd need to convert to %, if desired.

Queen of 3rd Place

AKTrail - that's not a bad idea, I think I've got a large protractor somewhere. At least I'd get an idea of what a particular grade looks like by eye, that's more than adequate for my purposes. Trent - thanks for pointing out the RA elevation feature. Naturally, it's not working this morning Tongue At any rate, there aren't too many hills around here, so I have to take what I can get. Note the elevation profile of our local marathon, which, incidentally, is the first annual this year! Anyone looking for a fast course? http://www.trailof2cities.com/2008course.html Arla

Ex runner

Arla - If they changed the elevation axis from 300 to 500 ft, that would look very different to you.Wink I was running around a soccer field comlex last night and happened to be using my FR 305. You should see the elevation profile.Wink While I did run up a slight uphill (5 vertical ft, maybe) to avoid a ball game, that actually shows as the low spot on the profile. It's interesting how it manages to generate hills where there aren't any. When using a protractor, just keep in mind that most are probably in degrees. Most hill descriptions in running discussions are in %. (100% = 45 deg) Like I said, I just go by feel on the hills as to whether it's too steep or not - or adjust what I want to do to the hill at hand.