How to start slow. Real slow... (Read 383 times)

SevenDeadlyShins

THUGLIFE

Hello everyone, despite what I am currently deploying myself into. I am in need of some help. Is there anyone that could tell me how to start off slow in a race. Even a distance of 5k or even a mile I am always accustomed to run. As of right now I am in need of needing to work a way of starting off slow. For some advice I have heard you start slow and run slower. I try to do this but I always end up running way harder than i am ready. Doing you think it is possible to do a brisk walk or speed walk without even jogging. I always go into this jogging form. How can I start slow. Real slow.

Bests...

1 mile: 5:44

2 mile: 12:48 

5k: 20:05

10k: 57:55 

I heard you're a player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach. 

Start all the way at the back. Look for some walkers that might be chatting and blocking the way. Stay behind them.

Not sure if that's what you want, but it's one way.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      dsroyster

The best way I can think of is to do MAF. Buy a heart rate monitor (or a watch with that func), then run under your max aerobic heart rate (180 - your age). You will find that as long as you run a little faster, your heart rate will boost. I think this will slow you down if you stick to the best heart rate.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Find someone to pace you, then just lock-in behind.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

slugbug

I found a fun program on Pinterest.  You start out slow.  Every minute you speed up a bit.  When you have to slow back down, you go to about the speed you started.  Then recover for a minute at that pace, then start speeding  back up every minute.  Try not to walk because when you keep jogging, you force your lungs to get stronger instead of letting them recover each time.  I started doing this and  now I am running 10 miles.  I started that 2 years ago.  I never thought I would love running but now i do

Cyberic

I personally don't think starting slow is the answer. What you're looking for is not starting too fast, no?

Buy a GPS watch. For a given race, try having a finish time objective. Try running intervals at that pace in your training, so your body knows how it feels to run at that pace.

When race starts, go out at a little lesser effort than what you think is the correct effort and you should pretty much be on target pace. Use your watch to adjust the running pace to target pace if you're off.

I'm far from an expert at racing, but that is the way I do it.

Megan29

only purpose was link to external site..
                JanaLamb

For new runners, it's always better to start off slow. This is to give your body a warm up and prevent future injuries.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Joann Y

Hey, spamalamba ding dong, your spammer jammer blog is not even hooked up.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey, spamalamba ding dong, your spammer jammer blog is not even hooked up.

LMAO! (insert ROFL smiley here) 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Megan29

link spam