Have you used Cho-Pat or CrosStrap achilles wraps? (Read 43 times)

I recently discovered this type of system for achilles support.

Of course I don't trust the online reviews, because they could be posted by the mfgs.

The concept for both is plausible, but I'd like to get feedback from real people. Both claim to relieve achilles strain by redirecting some of the force around the achilles instead of through it.

Cho-Pat® Achilles Tendon Strap™

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Huh!

I have a knee strap that fits where one of these is shown, at or above the achilles connection to the Gastroc. I tried it today and there was less discomfort in my achilles while running. Maybe this DOES actually work!

This was just one 5M run, at my regular M58 paces between 8:00-9:00, so not a good indicator of whether this "works" or not. I'll report back after a few more runs.

kcam

I dealt with a, I believe, fairly mild Achilles strain earlier this year.  I used a strap exactly like that one on the right in your picture along with ice bucket soak of my entire calf and foot and ice massaging the spot.

My pain was about the size of a quarter toward the lower end of that Achilles band (tendon?) that goes from lower calf to heel.  But not close to the heel.  Maybe at or just slightly below where the guy is tying his strap in that picture.  I'd tie that strap like he's doing in the pic as tight as I could get it and as low as I could get it.  It most definitely helped me recover and felt very good when I'd run.  But I would ice bucket and ice massage after every run at least 3 or 4 times.   Happy to report that it is absolutely 100% recovered now, but  I'm not certain of what 'fixed' it.  My guess is that most of the 'good stuff' happened with the icing but for sure that strap helped me to actually be able to continue easy running as the Achilles got closer to being healed.

What I had though is probably not what most people have when they talk about Achilles injury as it was a very localized spot on that tendon.

My condition is chronic, so ice doesn't do anything but numb the pain, if there is any while not moving. And probably is counter-productive for getting healthy tissue again.

That's good to hear that the strap DID something for you, thanks for that! A lot of these products are just snake oil.

SMART Approach

My condition is chronic, so ice doesn't do anything but numb the pain, if there is any while not moving. And probably is counter-productive for getting healthy tissue again.

Yeah, ice and RICE has no business being on tendons or any soft tissue IMHO if recovery and optomal healing is the goal. You want more circulation and lymphatic activation and congestion release .....cold does the opposite. Penetrating heat will enhance circulation and help with didcomfort. Addressing cause is also key for Achilles issues and other issues. Sometimes we can work through these issues by doing the right things building tissue resiliency and mobility from foot up to hip and perhaps offloading area more and these braces can be of assistance but should not be relied on.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

yep.

rehab tools, not permanent crutches.

At my disposal are a handheld ultrasonic device and an infrared sauna. I am sceptical about the abilities of either to reach more than a few mm into the tissue. I might go back to using heat, old fashioned husk bags or electric pads, to increase circulation for a while each day. It can't hurt.

My achilles gets angry with faster paced stuff but is fine with higher mileage. 5k under 7:00 pace or more than 4x 200m at :35 or faster and I know I'm going to be limping the next day, but 2-3 days later can go do long runs with no real issue. My Right one has finally healed up to where it doesn't flare up and swell up with fast stuff like it did for almost the last 8 years, but now my LEFT one is the bad one. Heck, my right one no longer has a lump or much thickening. Or maybe it does, and I'm just using the Left one as the comparison!