Lena Loop 5K (Read 402 times)

Dog-Love

I'm writing this race report because I knew there would be a time when my daughter would no longer need me to walk with her, to show her how to stretch out a stitch, or to encourage her to run those last 200 meters. On the way to the 5K I told her this may be the run that she breaks away and never looks back. I was right! This 5K is part of a family race that includes a 1K run for kids. My daughter opted for the 5K because she likes to run longer than a mile. Its a scenic loop through a forested area, around a peninsula, and back to the Cove. It was 46 degrees and overcast and a little cold to be hanging around watching the 1K race but we all cheered those little tykes on. We started the 5K a bit fast (8 minute miles) and after a half mile I told my daughter that I needed to slow a bit to finish the deed. She said OK and took off. I thought to myself...WOW look at that 11 year old go. I kept her barely in sight waiting for her to walk and that never happened so I focused on passing two gals and keeping them behind me for the duration. At the finish line my daughter was there to cheer me on. My goal was 28:00 and with that fast start and the desire to keep my daughter in view I made it in 26:49. She crossed in 25:12. I will have to do some serious interval work to run with her in the future.
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      wow! good for both of you! Big grin I long for the day one of my boys will run with me!
      Jennifer mm#1231

Princess Cancer Pants

Wow...she's really fast and will only get faster! I hope she's as proud of herself as you are of her! Smile k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

psycrunner

Sherry-- Congratulations to both you and your daughter! What a great family running tradition you've started!
          Carol
            Awesome! Your daughter is a speed demon already!!
            Jeffrey

Congrats on both your races. That must have been so great to see your daughter GO! Smile

Go Pre!

A hearty congrats....I love the fact my kids race with us. It is such a joy to see them do well. It's a joy just to see them compete. Our favorite saying in our house is..."We're all winners just for showing up at the start line!" cheers

Dog-Love

My daughter always says that!! Can't even come in last if you don't show up! Or something like that. I am hugely proud of her and I told her my best Mother's Day gift was running a race with her. Thanks all of you for ebing so supportive PS My daughter likes to see Zoom Zoom's avatar and always asks me what I think it means.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)