Lena Loop 5K (Read 402 times)

Dog-Love

I'm writing this race report because I knew there would be a time when my daughter would no longer need me to walk with her, to show her how to stretch out a stitch, or to encourage her to run those last 200 meters. On the way to the 5K I told her this may be the run that she breaks away and never looks back. I was right! This 5K is part of a family race that includes a 1K run for kids. My daughter opted for the 5K because she likes to run longer than a mile. Its a scenic loop through a forested area, around a peninsula, and back to the Cove. It was 46 degrees and overcast and a little cold to be hanging around watching the 1K race but we all cheered those little tykes on. We started the 5K a bit fast (8 minute miles) and after a half mile I told my daughter that I needed to slow a bit to finish the deed. She said OK and took off. I thought to myself...WOW look at that 11 year old go. I kept her barely in sight waiting for her to walk and that never happened so I focused on passing two gals and keeping them behind me for the duration. At the finish line my daughter was there to cheer me on. My goal was 28:00 and with that fast start and the desire to keep my daughter in view I made it in 26:49. She crossed in 25:12. I will have to do some serious interval work to run with her in the future.
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      wow! good for both of you! Big grin I long for the day one of my boys will run with me!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...she's really fast and will only get faster! I hope she's as proud of herself as you are of her! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

psycrunner

Sherry-- Congratulations to both you and your daughter! What a great family running tradition you've started!
          Carol
            Awesome! Your daughter is a speed demon already!!
            Jeffrey

Congrats on both your races. That must have been so great to see your daughter GO! Smile

Go Pre!

A hearty congrats....I love the fact my kids race with us. It is such a joy to see them do well. It's a joy just to see them compete. Our favorite saying in our house is..."We're all winners just for showing up at the start line!" cheers

Dog-Love

My daughter always says that!! Can't even come in last if you don't show up! Or something like that. I am hugely proud of her and I told her my best Mother's Day gift was running a race with her. Thanks all of you for ebing so supportive PS My daughter likes to see Zoom Zoom's avatar and always asks me what I think it means.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)