CMM Race Report (Read 763 times)

Great improvement on time! Big grin Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing the full race report.

Michelle

JakeKnight

Thanks all! It was a big day - a sort of validation of the entire last year and a couple thousand miles. My eyes weren't exactly dry coming across the finish line. Thank God for sunglasses. Meeting and exceeding every goal was a rush beyond description. I also followed my own advice about crossing a finish line ... so the picture may be amusing. If they publish it. We'll see. I'll babble on in one of my usual epic-length tomes in a couple days. But nothing's going to top the nuns, anyway. Seriously. A gaggle of nuns. I kept waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop up and tell me I was being punked. In the meantime, for a real race report, go read Jeff's (even if he did get beat by a girl): http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/81b477acd46047d8b49ed6db479c2ea2

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

... Oh - and they had nuns. Lots of nuns. Jumping, cheering, high-fiving nuns, complete with the full habit. If there is something funnier, I haven't seen it yet in this lifetime. More on the nuns later.
        Oh, I forgot about them. Nuns on one side, cheerleaders on the other. What a scene!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG JK! That is an awesome amount of improvement! Big grin Big grin Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Well done, JK! That is an amazing drop in your PR, and reflects a lot of spot-on and consistent training. Just curious--much difference in your weight from the last CMM to this one? Again--congrats!
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              DEFINETLY BIG KUDO"S To your THRASHING you gave CMM!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

JakeKnight

Oh, I forgot about them. Nuns on one side, cheerleaders on the other. What a scene!
                Where's your report? How'd you do? That race had plenty of cheerleaders. And surprisingly - you can get too much cowbell. But more nuns would be good. Lots more nuns.

Imminent Catastrophe

Where's your report? How'd you do?
                  It's under Racing/CMM Update. It's pretty short because it wasn't particularly interesting. The short story is that I paced fellow Marathon Maniac Dr. Ashis Roy of New Delhi, India, who achieved his goal of running his 75th marathon before his 75th birthday. That is apparently a record for Indians, and Asians too. He had a lot of trouble with the course but still managed to finish third in his age group in 5:38. I finished a few seconds ahead of him and took pictures. Here is an article about him: http://news.monstersandcritics.com/india/news/article_1298044.php/74-year-old_Indian_completes_75_marathons For me it was an easy long run with people handing me water and a medal at the end. Hopefully I will run at least 90 minutes faster at the Flying Pig next Sunday.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up to see JakeKnight and PerfesserR posts back-to-back because when you just look at the avatars, it's like Perfesser is schooling JakeKnight. BTW, good to have you back JK. We missed your distictive brand of humor. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

90 minutes faster at the Flying Pig next Sunday.
                      Hey, I may be up for a 4ish hour jog at the Pig as well. You running with the pacer? Of course some of that depends on how much "recovery" I get this week and what the conditions do over the weekend. First glimse is not pretty...

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up to see JakeKnight and PerfesserR posts back-to-back because when you just look at the avatars, it's like Perfesser is schooling JakeKnight. Cheers, Jeff
                        I had changed my avatar at one point but Jake asked me to keep using this one. Trent-4 hours is my ballpark goal, subject to change. I hadn't thought about using the pacer, maybe I'll try that, at least part way and see how I feel. Miles 5-8 should be interesting.

JakeKnight

I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up to see JakeKnight and PerfesserR posts back-to-back because when you just look at the avatars, it's like Perfesser is schooling JakeKnight. BTW, good to have you back JK. We missed your distictive brand of humor. Cheers, Jeff
                          Thanks, Jeff. Good to be back. As I was just saying elsewhere, I didn't appreciate this place until I stayed away for awhile. I'm not a big fan of the rest of cyberspace. This place is the only exception to that rule that I've found. Good people. Yeah, the Perfesser's avatar cracks me up, too. I need all the learnin' I can get. And bananas.
                          Well done, JK! That is an amazing drop in your PR, and reflects a lot of spot-on and consistent training. Just curious--much difference in your weight from the last CMM to this one? Again--congrats!
                          Thanks, Don. I was about 7-10 pounds lighter this year, and the weight is differently distributed. Actually just took my measurements, and I lost some upper body muscle mass, probably gained some in my legs, and lost 10 pounds of fat or so. It made a difference. I'm aiming for some more intentional weight loss now (didn't want to try it while training), maybe drop another 10, and see what happens. I think the consistency and daily mileage was the most important thing though.
                          I had changed my avatar at one point but Jake asked me to keep using this one.
                          And I appreciate it. Not that you have to keep it. By the way, I think your CMM story is one of the best ones I've heard. How'd you get paired up with the Indian guy? Through the Maniacs? Hey, how do you (you too Trent) like the Maniacs? What's the minimum requirement - like 2 in 2 weeks or something? Sounds kind of interesting. Good luck to both of you at the Flying Pig. I really want to hear the details on that one. Kelly and I had our first real date in Cincinnati, and I'd love to get back there for a marathon, if that's a good one. Do they have live tracking of results? I want to be like Mikey and sit here next weekend with my feet up watching you fools hurt yourselves ...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, how do you (you too Trent) like the Maniacs? What's the minimum requirement - like 2 in 2 weeks or something? Sounds kind of interesting.
                            A loose affiliation of the insane. There is no secret handshake and every marathon is a convention Wink How to get in? First you must meet the criteria. There are many levels - click Me, I'm silver several times over. My next goal is iridium, or 2 in 2. We'll see. It is a fun badge of dishonor.

Imminent Catastrophe

By the way, I think your CMM story is one of the best ones I've heard. How'd you get paired up with the Indian guy? Through the Maniacs?
                              Yes, I saw that we had a member in India and I planned to run the Mumbai Marathon in January so I contacted him and he decided to run it too. Now THAT was an interesting race. I think I still have the RR somewhere, I could post it if anyone's interested.
                              Hey, how do you (you too Trent) like the Maniacs? What's the minimum requirement - like 2 in 2 weeks or something? Sounds kind of interesting.
                              The minimum quals are two marathons in three consecutive weekends or three in three months. Finishing time is not relevant. We have some racewalkers. It's a fun group, we have hardcore members like Sam Thompson (51 marathons in 50 states & DC in 50 days), a few running the Western States 100-miler, one running Badwater. Dick Beardsley is a member. OTOH, we also have marginally qualified slackers like me. Everyone is welcome! Mostly it's just a brief chat with another member when you see the Maniac singlet at a race, and occasional get-togethers like the one Trent arranged in Nashville and again this weekend at the Pig: http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/
                              Good luck to both of you at the Flying Pig. I really want to hear the details on that one. Kelly and I had our first real date in Cincinnati, and I'd love to get back there for a marathon, if that's a good one. Do they have live tracking of results? I want to be like Mikey and sit here next weekend with my feet up watching you fools hurt yourselves ...
                              Thanks. It's my first time for two in 8 days, I feel pretty good right now. There's nothing on the Pig web site about live tracking, although they do use ChampionChip. BTW Jake, have you seen this? http://www.gorillas.org/GreatGorillaRun/ I thought you would like that.

http://www.gorillas.org/GreatGorillaRun/ I thought you would like that.
                                That looks like a very fun run!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?