A little something about "elites" (Read 976 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Speedy Dickheads
    Thank you -- now I have a name for the racing team I'm planning on forming. I've got the 2nd part down, now I just need to work on the first part! Clowning around This is a very interesting question. In my mind during my runs the last few days I've been formulating all sorts of responses and personal anecdotes. But I'll just shut up and (try to) be brief: 1. During a run, anyone can be unresponsive. I've run an out-and-back in my hometown and after I passed the turn, I probably knew and waved to half of the people in the race. And a lot of them didn't even look like they were on the same planet. No problem. Everyone at every levels have differing awareness while racing. 2. After the run: no excuse for those jerkwads to not say something when you went out of your way to talk to them. I know that if I were in their shoes and single, if a couple of ladies took a few breaths out of their race to say something in my direction, I probably would have turned around, sidled on up and been like *Joey Tribbiani imitation* "Hey -- how you doin'?" The key thing is not to change your good behavior based on the bad behavior of others. If it's in your nature to make a joke (and it sure seems to be), then continue to be yourself and be sure not to let their arrogance change that. Most arrogance is actually derived from a need to compensate for a self-esteem shortcoming; their lack of self-esteem and resulting arrogance is purely about them and not about you. Jeff: the thing I've done when jogging a course back is to offer encouragement and also let people know how far they have to go. That way, you're not only encouraging them but also informing. It's good to hear "Nice job! Only half a mile to go!" (Though this probably isn't so good the farther you go on you cool-down. "Only 4 miles to go!" might not be encouraging. Wink ) Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I've been contemplating this one for a while, so bear with me.... I agree with most that during the run, it can be difficult to get acknowledgment from other runners. That part, I wouldn't worry too much about (and it seems you're not, so there ya go). As for the afterwards....I dunno if it's a cliquish thing or they're just jerks, or it's perhaps they are in their own little worlds at that point. Honestly, I can't say. I think their mistake was going back onto the course while the race is still going on. If they're not in the mood to cheer others, don't be on the course. For all we know, they could've had a bad race and were not in a cheering mood. Perhaps they are just a-holes. Perhaps they've heard the jokes a million times already, and were sick of responding. I don't know. I'm not condoning or defending their actions, merely trying to see their side.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know that if I were in their shoes and single, if a couple of ladies took a few breaths out of their race to say something in my direction, I probably would have turned around, sidled on up and been like *Joey Tribbiani imitation* "Hey -- how you doin'?"
        That's hot! /paris hilton Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry to hear you had to deal with a let down from fellow runners. I hate that. This Sunday my 12 y/o ran his first ever 5k and afterwards the guy who won first place came over and congratulated my son on his winning first in his age group and finishing his first 5k on a course this varied(The course was partly in a quarry (over medium sized gravel), and then through woods, then some pavement, three small hills, one killer hill, and the finish was 1/4 steep down hill on a street.) . The winner's time was 16:14. I thought it was very cool of him to go out of his way to say something to my son. Before the race (it was a small race) they had asked all people who were running a 5k for the first time to raise their hand, that is how he knew it was his first race.

Michelle

You'll ruin your knees!

Jeff, I have YET to hear a cheer sent my direction that I did not appreciate! While I don't do a lot of road races, I will put a plug for trail runs here...the longer the run, the more true this is...the only difference between the elites and the back of the packers is their speed. Just this past Saturday, I met the front runners on an out and back and sent my hearty encouragement to which EVERY ONE of the top 5 or so acknowledged with something like "thanks, you're looking good (liars, every one)" and a big smile... This was repeated over and over as I met each of the runners ahead and behind me on the rest of the out and back... This past Feb, the first place male (Anton Kuprika sp?) and female (Jenn Shelton) in a 100 mile race stayed at the finish line for at least 4-5 HOURS after their finish to cheer/welcome other finishers...I know they were still at the finish line after midnight!!! Someone asked why they didn't go to their hotel and go to bed and one of them said..."I just want to see everyone finish"...true champions! They didn't make it through the night, but were back the next morning greeting almost every one of the finishers in the final hours before the race cut-off. Trail running is the best! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Burninated Peasant

I'm not elite by any means, but I'm often one of those people who doesn't acknowledge greetings. For me, I usually can't understand what people are saying, due to a combination of their shortness of breath, my poor hearing, and my tendency to kind of zone out while running (in a good way, I'm enjoying the experience, not escaping it). Anyway, they may not all be dickheads - some of them may just be surprised enough by the fact that you have the energy to speak to them at this point in the race that they can't figure out how to respond before you pass each other.

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, I have YET to hear a cheer sent my direction that I did not appreciate!
                Yeah, I guess I was just overthinking things. It's an occupational hazard.
                  Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second. 1. Lead runners probably aren't going to acknowledge any cheers if they are giving 100% effort to the race. For a few reasons: you zone out and don't hear it and could break your concentration on the race. Also it would be wasted energy you could put into the race. 2. After they had finished and you saw them jogging on the course you started joking with them. This is a signal that if you can take the time to joke around during the race it seems you are not taking the race very seriously. Also after the race they were probably really tired and didn't feel like cheering people on. The extra jogging was just a warm down to help recover faster. They're not there for the social aspcet, they are there to run fast. These guys are trying to excel at running, putting in up to 140 miles a week and for those without sponsorship doing so while working a 40 hour a week job. When you have taken running as seriously as they have then you can comment on whether or not they are assholes. You don't understand what it is like to be them since you have never experienced it. You say they made you embarrassed to be a runner, well you jogging 30 miles a week and talking and joking during your races makes them feel embarrassed for the sport.

You'll ruin your knees!

Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second. 1. Lead runners probably aren't going to acknowledge any cheers if they are giving 100% effort to the race. For a few reasons: you zone out and don't hear it and could break your concentration on the race. Also it would be wasted energy you could put into the race. 2. After they had finished and you saw them jogging on the course you started joking with them. This is a signal that if you can take the time to joke around during the race it seems you are not taking the race very seriously. Also after the race they were probably really tired and didn't feel like cheering people on. The extra jogging was just a warm down to help recover faster. They're not there for the social aspcet, they are there to run fast. These guys are trying to excel at running, putting in up to 140 miles a week and for those without sponsorship doing so while working a 40 hour a week job. When you have taken running as seriously as they have then you can comment on whether or not they are assholes. You don't understand what it is like to be them since you have never experienced it. You say they made you embarrassed to be a runner, well you jogging 30 miles a week and talking and joking during your races makes them feel embarrassed for the sport.
                    Dan, I must say, you have chosen poorly for whom to advocate...IMHO If I follow your line of thinking, then I would understand if ALL elites acted this way. But, if a top runner acknowledges one of us who may be considered an embarrassment to the sport of running, that would (according to you) eliminate him/her from the elite gene pool. Granted, we cannot put ourselves into the skin of the elites and may not be fair in our judgement...but if the running shoe fits... Just sayin' (to quote a RA elitist) Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you have taken running as seriously as they have then you can comment on whether or not they are assholes. You don't understand what it is like to be them since you have never experienced it. You say they made you embarrassed to be a runner, well you jogging 30 miles a week and talking and joking during your races makes them feel embarrassed for the sport.
                      I guess you missed the part where I cut a full 10 minutes off of my previous 10 mile PR and on a much more challenging course while dealing with pretty godawful asthma issues in the last mile--and placing 8th out of 15 in my AG.... But I'm just a casual jogger. Nevermind the fact that a year ago I couldn't even run a mile non-stop. No hard work here...none. Only elites work hard. I probably could have shaved even more time off of my race if I hadn't been so verbally supportive of all of the hundreds of other runners who showed-up for the race, as well as saying thank you to anyone who let me know that I was doing well. Maybe next time I will blatantly ignore ever other runner who cheers me on, regardless of the fact that I have no illusions that I will ever be an "elite." Elites aren't built like me. I think my bones, alone, weigh more than some elite runners do.... k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

my nickel and dime...i think there are just different people both in elites and non-elites... some elites maybe more outgoing and have no problems yelling out encouragements, some are just maybe more reserved and really have a harder time engaging other people. Same with us mid to back of the packers...some of us like to get encouragements some of us take it as an insult...me depending on the day, sometimes it drives me batty when people say you're almost there when i know i'm not or when i'm looking good when i know i'm not...some days i feel like i actually need not encouragement, but more like insults just to get me going Smile. I guess either way it'll motivate me either by pissing me off or making me feel good...what was i saying ? i have no idea...really..i need to go running..

madness baby

Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second. These guys are trying to excel at running, putting in up to 140 miles a week and for those without sponsorship doing so while working a 40 hour a week job. When you have taken running as seriously as they have then you can comment on whether or not they are assholes. You don't understand what it is like to be them since you have never experienced it. You say they made you embarrassed to be a runner, well you jogging 30 miles a week and talking and joking during your races makes them feel embarrassed for the sport.
                          Dude, I think this is a little much, devils advocate or not. That's insulting to a great deal of people on this board. I don't know any runner who would not want another person to take part in their sport. I'm hurtin just to run 20 miles per week and am pretty damn proud to be out there that much, enjoying races and having a good old time, too.
                          deb
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope the more gifted runners also don't forget that were it not for the majority of "slower" folks on the course there would be no races for them to excell at. The top 10% of the field is not enough to fund a race. No races means no opportunities to show their talents...no smaller races full of mediocre runners means no qualifier events like Boston, no Olympic marathon, etc. Rather than look at the average runners as beneath them, those with the physical gifts that allow them to run fast for great distances should thank us for spending cash to enter events that we know we have no chance of winning. They may be there to win, but most of us are there to test our own abilities and progress. I race only my PRs and maybe a few other people on the course ahead of me (like the gal in the pink shorts who was ahead of me until the last half mile on Sat.--my goal was to have her looking at my back for at least a few feet Wink).

~ Sarah Kay

muse_runner

keep running.

At my last 10k an elite guy that I have never ever seen in my life before came up to me and said "hey you did great" it really took me for a loop because... well compared to him I did poopy. So I shook my head and said, "aww thanks but not really." I didn't know what to say to be honest. Then I jogged the 5k with friends after the 10k. He was on the course too, jogging, and was pushing his baby stroller (but the opposite way, is this is a trend? why not bandit run it like me?) he waved and smiled at me. my friends with me were like "WOOOOAAAH how do you know him?" I just smiled. haha sounds like high school right?
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                              mikeymike

I hope the more gifted runners also don't forget that were it not for the majority of "slower" folks on the course there would be no races for them to excell at. The top 10% of the field is not enough to fund a race. No races means no opportunities to show their talents...no smaller races full of mediocre runners means no qualifier events like Boston, no Olympic marathon, etc....
                                This is crap. Running as a sport existed and thrived for a long time before road races became a trendy mass fitness activity. Races only cost as much as they do now because they have become so big and logistically complicated. Lets not turn this into a pissing match between the fast and the slow. The fact is some small group of runners--who were probably not elite runners at all but just belonged to the same running club--acted rudely. You made a generalization about "elites" that many have chimed in to say does not hold for most fast runners. The end.

Runners run