At what point do you up your pace? (Read 252 times)

Run easy on easy days, but run hard ( short of race effort) on hard days, the pace will be much slower than race pace because of cumulative fatigue, and non-race environment, but it should feel hard.  Also I try to finish off every run either with some strides or try and make the last mile the fastest I can run for that run (again short of race effort).

I know this is not a new concept, but is something I was not doing but need to do to get off the plateau I find myself in for about 3 years now, that and need to run a bit more than I have been the last 2 years.  This is definitely not for newer runners, but I think I no longer qualify as one, since my running log now has 5 digits.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Run easy on easy days, but run hard ( short of race effort) on hard days, the pace will be much slower than race pace because of cumulative fatigue, and non-race environment, but it should feel hard.  Also I try to finish off every run either with some strides or try and make the last mile the fastest I can run for that run (again short of race effort).

Including easy and recovery runs?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yes, easy days I plan to run a couple of strides.

Feeling the growl again

No reason not to do some strides most days.  I wish I followed my own advice on that one more frequently.

Fast finish runs (hard mile at the end) I'd be a bit more selective about.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yes, easy days I plan to run a couple of strides.

but strides aren't the same as running the last mile hard.  Do you mean something else?

Feeling the growl again

but strides aren't the same as running the last mile hard.  Do you mean something else?

" with some strides or try and make the last mile the fastest I can run for that run"

Two different things.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills