My Hip Pain, sounds like bursitis except.... (Read 1142 times)

I have no pain climbing stairs. In fact, it kind of feels good to climb stairs. The pain presents on going down stairs. It also presents when I lay on my side. I can pinpoint the area of soreness which is on the lateral hip area (and it really is more sore than painful) and if I push in on that area and hold it, the pain lessens tremendously and almost disappears while going down stairs. This soreness has been around off and on for a year or more and hasn't really gotten so that it interferes with my running, although I am sure it is aggravated by speedwork. I don't even feel it while running, it is only afterwards and lasts for a few days. When I do IT band stretches I can feel a "pull" in my hip in the area of the soreness. I rarely take Advil but the other day just decided to try one dose. The pain all but disappeared and really didn't come back for a few days until after my speedwork this morning. Every other symptom sounds like trochanteric bursitis. I am just hoping I can stretch more and ice more and avoid a dr. visit since it is not that bad yet. I am currently midway training for another half marathon in November. My mileage increases have been very conservative but I have done quite a bit of speedwork and tempo runs compared with my previous half marathon training. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    BostonRnr

Fishbowl, I feel your pain...literally. I've had very minor hip pain (just twinges) on and off for a month or so. But, this week it's gotten pretty severe on one side. I had to cut back a run last night. I am training for my first marathon at the end of October. I am trying to balance my desire to HTFU vs. rest/ice/medicate for a few days. I was hoping to do a 17-mile run on Sunday. Would love to hear any thoughts.

#artbydmcbride

Inflamed IT band.

Runners run

Is there a major difference between bursitis and an inflammed IT band? From what I can gather on the web, they are either the same or very closely related. My husband has suffered from ITBS but with knee pain previously and was diagnosed by an ortho. He did PT and found a great deal of improvement using a foam roller. Any thoughts on whether the hip would respond to the foam roller like his knee did? I would hate to do something to aggravate it. Thanks!!!

Was it all a dream?

Yes, use the foam roller. The root cause is the same regardless of how the pain is manifest. Also, it might be time for a new pair of shoes. The turns of the track can also aggrivate the IT band, so you may want to do your intervals on the treadmill next week. Good luck.
              Yes, use the foam roller. The root cause is the same regardless of how the pain is manifest. Also, it might be time for a new pair of shoes. The turns of the track can also aggrivate the IT band, so you may want to do your intervals on the treadmill next week. Good luck.
              Thanks for the reply. I am going to begin using the foam roller. Man, that thing hurts at first !!! I do have a good pair of shoes with only 70 miles on them (same make and model as I've worn for 2 years) so I don't think that is it in this case. I also think that you are right about the track. Although I've had this nagging pain for a long time now, it has certainly gotten worse lately and I am sure the track isn't helping.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

I had some very similar hip pain for about 3 months. It wasn't getting better, wasn't getting worse, just kinda there. Including it hurting when I lay on it. I went to an ortho doc, who diagnosed it as trochanteric bursitis (secondary to tightness and irritation of my IT band) and gave me the option of either 1) a shot of steroids into the bursa to relieve the inflammation or 2) hooking me up with a runner-friendly PT. I chose the PT and have been working with them for a few weeks now. The pain's improved but isn't gone yet. However, the PT did something for me that the ortho doc never did - she gave me a very thorough going-over to understand what was causing my chronic IT, knee, and now hip problems. The alignment of the heads of my femurs, the way one foot is a bit warped (like my humor, lol!), and some pretty significant muscle weaknesses all combine to cause the problems. We can't change the leg bones, lol, but we're doing cusotm orthotics to fix the twisty foot and lots and lots of exercises to fix the muscle weaknesses. In my case, the muscle weaknesses caused me to allow my unsupported hip to drop down with each step, putting pull/strain on the outside of my supporting leg. The goal is to retrain those muscles to work properly so I quit stressing the outside of my legs. One of her co-workers has also suggested to me that I switch to run/walking to give my weaker muscles a break during my running so that they'll properly support me for a larger percentage of the run. Sounds like a fine idea to me - anything that allows me to run more with less pain is a fine idea, lol - and I made that switch two days ago. We'll see how it goes!

Roads were made for journeys...

I had some very similar hip pain for about 3 months. It wasn't getting better, wasn't getting worse, just kinda there. Including it hurting when I lay on it. I went to an ortho doc, who diagnosed it as trochanteric bursitis (secondary to tightness and irritation of my IT band) and gave me the option of either 1) a shot of steroids into the bursa to relieve the inflammation or 2) hooking me up with a runner-friendly PT. I chose the PT and have been working with them for a few weeks now. The pain's improved but isn't gone yet. However, the PT did something for me that the ortho doc never did - she gave me a very thorough going-over to understand what was causing my chronic IT, knee, and now hip problems. The alignment of the heads of my femurs, the way one foot is a bit warped (like my humor, lol!), and some pretty significant muscle weaknesses all combine to cause the problems. We can't change the leg bones, lol, but we're doing cusotm orthotics to fix the twisty foot and lots and lots of exercises to fix the muscle weaknesses. In my case, the muscle weaknesses caused me to allow my unsupported hip to drop down with each step, putting pull/strain on the outside of my supporting leg. The goal is to retrain those muscles to work properly so I quit stressing the outside of my legs. One of her co-workers has also suggested to me that I switch to run/walking to give my weaker muscles a break during my running so that they'll properly support me for a larger percentage of the run. Sounds like a fine idea to me - anything that allows me to run more with less pain is a fine idea, lol - and I made that switch two days ago. We'll see how it goes!
                  Wingz, Thanks so much for the info. I am sure mine is a very similar problem. I also have very painful trigger points in my lower back. Luckily, my husband is pretty good at getting these massaged out. I am pretty sure that the trigger points and the hip pain are not only related but probably caused by some underlying structural problem. I have very low arches, overpronate quite a bit and I think one leg is slightly longer than the other. I am calling my husband's sport med this week. His usual procedure is a thorough exam, diagnosis and referral to his PT (who is excellent and goes through the entire testing to uncover any problems that would contribute to the problem). My husband had pretty bad ITBS that affected his knee. He has made a full recovery but it was a long process (6 months). I am hoping I have caught mine early enough to shorten that recovery time! BTW, Wingz, you are close by to me. I live in Wilmington, about 2 hours down the road from you. Fishbowl