Realistic pace adjustment for heat (Read 998 times)

I'm starting to think that heat is wreaking havoc on my workouts. According to Daniels, I should slow down 30 seconds for every 5 degrees above 60. That may be true for someone running faster than I am but dropping 3 mins per mile on a hot day puts me at a brisk walk. I can't accurately use my HRM because I'm so busy sweating that my heart rate is all over the place. My perceived level of effort isn't accurate because I feel miserable from the heat/humidity/poor air quality and my body just wants to quit. I know the simple answer is to work around the heat but sometimes that's not possible. How can I quantify an effective HR or pace? How do others adjust their workouts?
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Feeling the growl again

When it's 85-90+ degrees and humid on top, sometimes no matter how slow you go it is going to feel horrible. All you can do is whatever pace gets you there with minimal pain. It is impossible to give you a decent guideline, people are very different. When I was in my early 20s, it did not slow me down much at all. Now, it does!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Double IPA Please!

When it is over 85 and sometimes lower depending on humidity levels, my goal then becomes to just cover the distance for that day.. and my pace goes out the window. YMMV. I think this is a personal preference/listening to your body question vs. what the books say.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

C-R

I use a HRM for my runs and Low Heart Rate training (maintain or stay below a target hear rate; mine is 138) and I've found that when the heat/humidity gets over 85/45 I tend to slow about a minute per mile. It will effect different people in different ways but this is what happens to me. I just accept the fact I need to slow down to steer clear of possible overuse injuries or running too hard too often. Gives me a chance to work on form.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

Interesting question. Here's my question: as your fitness overall improves, does heat have less of a negative impact? I've been wondering lately. We've had a hot humid summer, conditions that even 18 months ago would have crippled me. But I'm actually running pretty well, at least at 5k and shorter distances. In fact, I'm barely seeing an impact at all. Galloway and a few others cite that same 30 seconds per 5 degrees over 60, by the way. But like *all* of that information, its never going to be applicable to everybody. Your mileage may and almost certainly will vary. Eskimos probably slow more; Kenyans, not so much. Just a hunch. As for the HRM, I'd suggest tossing it in the closet (or garbage can). At least until winter. As for adjusting your pace ... I'd just go by feel. Running faster than you should because some plan tells you to might get you hurt if its not considering the heat; on the other hand, if your HR is up but you feel fine, maybe its time to quit paying so much attention to the HRM. My 2 cents. YMMV, and some of the above is heresy. But I'm running in 95+ heat and 95+% humidity now and feeling fine, so it works for me. I doubt it would if I was worried about my HR or what a book told me. If you're just plain feeling crappy, maybe you're just not ready for heat yet. Find a treadmill and some air conditioning.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Would I be better to maintain a slower pace altogether or try to run my normal pace mixed in with episodes of walking or much slower running? I did a 3/1 run/walk combo yesterday, which was more walking than I needed but I like the idea of keeping some of it at pace.
              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Dave

As for adjusting your pace ... I'd just go by feel. Running faster than you should because some plan tells you to might get you hurt if its not considering the heat; on the other hand, if your HR is up but you feel fine, maybe its time to quit paying so much attention to the HRM.
                Jay, I'm going to side with JK on this one. I tried the low HR stuff in the heat and found that I had to slow down to the point where I didn't really enjoy it. And I'm not convinced that I don't get just as good a training benefit from letting my HR rise and running by feel for those miles (although you'll find a whole community of low heart rate runners that will probably disagree). If you look through my log, you'll see quite a few humid miserable runs lately. Running earlier to avoid the heat has been helping on longer efforts. When I can't get out early, I just try and hydrate and push through, albiet at a slower pace and feeling pretty awful much of the way. The miles you log in the heat now will pay dividends when the weather turns in the fall.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Prince of Fatness

Would I be better to maintain a slower pace altogether or try to run my normal pace mixed in with episodes of walking or much slower running? I did a 3/1 run/walk combo yesterday, which was more walking than I needed but I like the idea of keeping some of it at pace.
                  My preference is to not take walk breaks, although some would argue that I slow down enough that I am really just walking fast. But this year I've been able to go out for an hour plus in upper 90 heat and not had to take walk breaks. My pace ended up being 90+ seconds slower than my normal easy pace. Because of the summer heat I try to schedule goal races late enough in the fall so that the heat doesn't have an impact on my key workouts. If I get a nice day in the summer I'll pick up the pace a little just to mix things up, but I generally just focus on getting the miles in. It still amazes me how much faster I run once we get into fall and the weather cools off.

Not at it at all. 

TRIing to beat the heat!

Because of the summer heat I try to schedule goal races late enough in the fall so that the heat doesn't have an impact on my key workouts. It still amazes me how much faster I run once we get into fall and the weather cools off.
                    Living in South FL, this is what I tend to do as well. Key races are scheduled between late October and early April. Anything that I do between those months, is pretty much just for the fun of competing. I found that once the heat & humidity really kicks in down here (around late May), it takes me about 3 weeks to begin to have some degree of physiological adaptation. The good thing about FL (or bad), is that the heat/humidity is steady so once you adapt, you don't necessarily have to readapt (as long as you continue to train outdoors). I used to live in NJ and although the summers can be hot, the heat 'waves' come and go so depending on where you live, you may go through this adaptation period a few times over the course of the summer. Right now, it's SO hot that I'm doing most of my training indoors... which stinks, but I tend to stay more positive when I'm more comfortable. At this point, I'm staying inside until the end of September and then I get to go back out and 'readpat' for my fall races.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I'm glad everyone else has this problem too. This past weekend I had a 20 miler scheduled and ended up doing 22. I could feel the pain from too little training and the already 78 degree temps at 6:00 AM. The temp started out in the high 70's and was in the high 80's with high humidity by the last 6-8 miles. I normally try to run at about an 8:45 mile but suffer from late run slowness. This time my goal was to start out at MP of 9:00 and try to hold it and maybe even pick it up the last 6-8 miles to break the rut of latter mile slowing. All that shattered at about 12 miles when I turned around. There was very little wind and the sun was beating down with 80+ degree temps. I felt tht I was running a near 8:00 pace down an incline but was actually at a 9:30 or so. I decided to forget about pace and just keep my HR below 150. That worked until mile 16 or so when i had to slow to a 9:45 pace to keep the HR down. It was a bit hilly so I figured the hills were spiking my HR. By mile 18 I knew I was in trouble as I slogged along at a 10:00 pace. At mile 20 I had to walk about 3/4 of a mile just to keep my HR below 160. by this point I was feeling as though the heat was becoming dangerous. I ran/walked through mile 21 and ran the last mile slowly. Overall the 22 miles was at a pace of 10:05 and the course was hilly. Keep up the pace and stay focused. Good luck
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

HRM's are useless in heat, as your heartrate goes way up. It's your body's effort to move more blood to the surface to bleed off heat from your core. (But that means less blood and less O2 for your muscles). 80%HR on a hot day will occur at a much slower pace than 80% on a cool, cloudy day, for example. I just try to tolerate it, and I avoid doing any quality work (tempos/intervals, etc.) in really hot conditions. If your schedule calls for quality work, do it before the sun comes up or after it goes down. As for pace, on easy/recovery days, just do what you can tolerate to get your run done. This calculator allows you to compare efforts based on temperature. But , as JK said, everyone responds a little differently.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Heat sucks. I never plan to run X amount of seconds slower per X amount of degrees above temp X, but I do find that I'm 30 seconds to a minute slower per mile on hot/humid days recently. I just try to push myself extra hard, in hopes that all the suffering now will really translate into some significant gains come fall marathon time when the temp should be down to the low 60s again.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

I can very definitely say that I do not do well in heat. I grew up in the mountains and even though I've lived in and around DC for the past 15 years it's still something I've never fully acclimated to. Last summer I got pretty good at pounding out 3 to 4 miles in the heat of the day but at those distances HR and cooling aren't significant factors for the bigger part of the run. I know you can't race with them but has anyone ever considered a cooling vest? They used to just be used for people suffering from MS and/or construction workers/fire fighters but I think they have ones targeted at athletes. If it weren't already August I would seriously consider getting one. It could be worse, my wife, who is from a Caribbean island oddly enough, doesn't sweat enough to cool herself properly and can't run long distances at all in hot weather. She has to dump water on her forearms to simulate sweating.

The young Mama Bear!

I just run. Not particularly fast or far, but I don't really go slower on purpose. Just today, I actually ran faster than I usually do...and it was not pleasant outside. It's all a matter of how you're feeling. Some days, you'll bust through it. Some days, it'll bust through you.
                              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                                I don't like heart rate monitors, MP3 players or anything else that isn't related to running......my recommendation is to just run at a pace that feels comfy for you and forget the technology (I am a computer guy so Im technically oreinted) but I personally think all that stuff gets in the way....... Focus on running and staying cool enough to finish.. NOW - you can go for your run and focus and concentrate on how you feel.......kind of like a Jetti Knight using the force.......Go by how you feel (use the force Luke Skywalker)....and you will be OK... least that is my 2 cents..... Roll eyes

Champions are made when no one is watching