2023 Running Game ***Registration is Closed. (Read 221 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's what I have done the past 2 years knowing I would have a big ramp up in the second half of the year for a December marathon. "Significantly increasing" is going to be very different for you than me. I increased total goal by 200-300 miles. Significantly for you could be 1200 miles!

Yep that makes sense. I think I increased mine maybe 100 miles this year, but I also had marathons in June and November so my mileage was spaced out. Next year it'll only be in December so much more heavily weighted to year end. I'll have to figure out what makes the most sense, but your 300 is still a lot!

The best part of this game is meeting other folks through the user groups or motivating yourself to run. Anyone sandbagging that badly in an online running game just to win has serious issues.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ccoakley

Is picking a goal that really will be a challenge frowned upon?  Not like impossible but challenging enough you don't know for sure you'll make it?

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is picking a goal that really will be a challenge frowned upon?  Not like impossible but challenging enough you don't know for sure you'll make it?

Not at all. And you always have the option to increase or lower your goal mid-year, if you're struggling or feeling stronger than initially anticipated. A lot can happen between declaring your goal for the game and 6 months later.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

Not really.  That said, if you are missing your goal more than hitting it on a weekly basis. Your captains may reach out to you to see if everything is OK and if the goal is appropriate.

ETA, communication goes a long way in the game.  If you know you aren;t going to hit your goal early on in the week for whatever reason, I've found people are usually fine with the heads up (at least on teams I've been on). It's more of an issue when someone goes weeks without hitting their goal and absolutely no communication. I get it, if life happens and running sucks, sometimes the last thing people want to do is converse with people still running.

All that said, you've been running for a while, so you probably have a pretty good idea of what you can do on a weekly basis. I usually start with that and back into a yearly goal. 2023 was a bit of a challenge because I am going to try a 2 week schedule.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sometimes picking a goal is really challenging for those who are coming off an injury, currently injured or who often do get injured. It makes them more hesitant in picking that number, especially when going into the team game where your teammates will be looking for them to hit green most of the time. Obviously up and down weeks happen and runners don't count when they are on IR, in those active weeks, it still needs to be an number you can run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Rubybaby43

enabler

Oh boy... I haven't been a part of these games since 2016.  But I sure could use some accountability, so I am back in!!  My mileage isn't quite what it was back then, but it's all good.  Running fewer miles than I used to is still running miles. 

KLO

KLO

more miles = more beer

All About that Pace 2024

Also, an excellent time to renew your donation to RunningAhead as you sign up for the Game.

As far as goals, I pretty much hit it on the head this year.  I have 12 miles left and now into the Finals.  I didn't get injured and hit 40 out of 41 weeks in Green before the playoffs.  Went with lower goal for the winter of about 30 miles per week as I live in ridiculous temperatures and altitude in Breckenridge CO and then moved the goal up to 40 mpw in June.  Some weeks were really tough like after a couple of races or when I ran in minus 14 degrees F.

Just some thoughts.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Oh boy... I haven't been a part of these games since 2016.  But I sure could use some accountability, so I am back in!!  My mileage isn't quite what it was back then, but it's all good.  Running fewer miles than I used to is still running miles. 

KLO

Welcome back! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Rubybaby43

enabler

KLO

more miles = more beer

Running Problem

Problem Child

Team game for you next year?

Hopefully.  If I do things correctly.

edit: Is there a difference between the goal for the game, and an annual goal set here? I think people might like to know the two are not the same (I.e annual goal 2,023 miles. Game goal 1,800) just because the game doesn’t seem to go all 365days.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hopefully.  If I do things correctly.

edit: Is there a difference between the goal for the game, and an annual goal set here? I think people might like to know the two are not the same (I.e annual goal 2,023 miles. Game goal 1,800) just because the game doesn’t seem to go all 365days.

Yes, the game doesn't align perfectly with the year because obviously not all weeks are Monday to Sunday. If you want to have a personal goal that is different from the game, have at 'er! But for the purposes of the game, we do call it an annual goal and that is what is used to determine your individual weekly goal. Make sure you read through all the rules and important threads at the top of the 2022 (or 2023 forum after teams are formed).

As per your example, if your annual goal is 2023 and you only set your goal at 1800 for the game, you may end up hitting your goal a lot earlier and that can hurt your team if you go deep into playoffs. That works out to 38.79 miles per week at 2023 miles or 34.52 miles per week at 1800. You can't know when you set your goal how your team will do and you could be in the game until Christmas.

Does that make sense?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

MarathoninginMT

Oh my!  So fun to see so many of the familiar names I used to see when I participated in this game.  I am on the fence about signing up this year b/c this game really brings out my competitive side (not always a great thing for an old runner) but I miss the camaraderie.  I like the data and the numbers but sometimes, especially during the recovery period after marathon training, I probably run instead of spinning, swimming, resting to hit that weekly mileage target to be in the green.  The game exacerbates my running OCD 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wondered where you had gone. We've definitely lost some runners from the game the last few years. You could go individual. That would put you in results, let you participate in all the threads in the game forum and, in the last few years, we often have an individuals "team" group where they can chat without the pressure of the team game. It just needs to be set up and the individual runners invited.

GAME UPDATE: Currently we have 60 people signed up for a team next year. We have 66 in 2022 so here's hoping we can break that number and get back to a better sized game. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

All About that Pace 2024

Join us in the game.

Oh my!  So fun to see so many of the familiar names I used to see when I participated in this game.  I am on the fence about signing up this year b/c this game really brings out my competitive side (not always a great thing for an old runner) but I miss the camaraderie.  I like the data and the numbers but sometimes, especially during the recovery period after marathon training, I probably run instead of spinning, swimming, resting to hit that weekly mileage target to be in the green.  The game exacerbates my running OCD