Full Physical - What Questions To Ask (Read 883 times)

Hey gang, my Father just had surgery for prostate cancer a few months back and because of that (also because it's long overdue) I'm scheduling a complete physical for myself in the next month...I'm turning 31 on the 26th of this month so I'm starting to get where I should probably have a full physical every couple/few years... Any ideas of what things I should mention to the doctor? I mean, obviously I'll tell him/her that I run but is there anything else I should put on the table? Or for that matter, what should I ask him to check on me?
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Blood pressure check Fasting lipid Panel Head to toe exam Discuss activities, substance use, job/life stress Everything else is voodoo.
        May want to make sure all your shots are up to date. I went to the doctor last year after a long respite to find that I needed a tetanus booster. We also discussed vaccination for Hepatitis A & B (Twinrix) as my wife and I like to travel to Mexico and the Caribbean once a year, budget permiting.

Another Passion

Do they have a patch for a doughnut addiction? Big grin

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

"You're going to stick that where exactly?"

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Do they have a patch for a doughnut addiction? Big grin
              Big grin Nice...how did I know that would come up?
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Another Passion

Big grin Nice...how did I know that would come up?
                Sorry, I couldn't resist Dave. Roll eyes

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

DipMom

They should have you fill out a ton of paperwork that covers family history (talk to your parents beforehand), and any symptoms, problems, etc. I do recommend that you get a full body skin check. If you have spent any amount of time in the sun this is crucial. I actually recommend a dermatologist for this. I have had family doctors misdiagnose skin problems that are routine for a dermatologist.
                  HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I got my doc when I was ~33 to order a stress echo so that I could be cleared to run. The benefit of doing the stress echo is that they will do an ultrasound of your heart after you peak out on the treadmill (not just hooked up to an ECG machine) and look for changes indicative/predictive of problems. Set my mind at ease (coupled with a lipid profile).

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

stress echo
                      Unless you have a strong family history of heart disease at a young age or a personal history of chest pains / passing out with exercise, this is absolutely NOT indicated. Skin check. Yep. I forgot that, very important, good catch Smile
                      mikeymike

"You're going to stick that where exactly?"
                        Better yet, "Ever serve time, Doc?"

Runners run

My doctor, who does work for one of the local pro teams, told me I should get a physical every 3 years in my 20's. My last physical was about 2 years ago and it seemed pretty much like one I got in my jr. high/ high school days. ...no blood test, urinalysis, stool analysis, ECG, stress test.... What should one expect for a physical at various ages?

Vim

I work in a lab and I ALWAYS see people with no prior health problems that come in and wind up having bad cholesterol and other labs. So even though you are young and you obviously run, I would at the very least ask the doc for a script for Cholesterol panel. Many times, people are amazed that their cholesterol would be considered high at such a young age. Plus, if you did have a problem, now would be the time to start correcting it before the real problems start to take effect. Also, since you have a history of prostate problems in your family, it is definitely NOT too early to get a prostate screening test done. Dont worry - theres no "digital" aspect to it (unless the doc wants to), but its a simple blood test that cant be done at the same time as any other blood work. GOOD LUCK!!
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cholesterol panel
                              Agreed, and this was in my post as well (called a lipid panel)
                              Cholesterol panel prostate screening test
                              Disagree, unless you have a VERY strong family history or other strong risk factors. The scientific evidence behind population-based PSA testing to screen for prostate cancer is very very weak, and may lead to false positives (much like the stress echo above). False positives cost money and may lead to additional more invasive, more expensive and downright dangerous testing that would have otherwise been unnecessary.
                                Thanks for all the input folks...Glad I started up the thread, I'll have to make up a "grocery list" of things to ask when I get the physical... Thanks again! Reason #4531 that I love RunningAhead (This Thread) Cool