Seeking a Little Advic (Read 783 times)

Heavensbornangel

I'm not what i would consider a "new runner" i'm just not the BEST runner. lately i've been averaging 17-18 minutes for a 1.5 mile run. i was just looking for some pointers i guess on how to best improve my run. i do circuit training and spin classes during the week, so it's not like i just do nothing. i'm only really running twice a week though. anyway, pointers and guidance would be appreciated. thank you.
    xor

Run more. Don't run the same distance every day. Some days longer, some days shorter. Don't try to go all-out on every run. Some days faster, some days slower. And eat pie. Pie makes everything better (but eat a sensible amount of pie. A whole pie will likely slow you down)

And eat pie. Pie makes everything better (but eat a sensible amount of pie. A whole pie will likely slow you down)
        Was going to say M&M's (my all time favorite). I suspect you need to follow srlopez advice. It doesnt sound like you're running nearly enough to even ask this question. Normally you start thinking about time after you get your miles up a little more. I'm guessing you should slowly/sensible get your miles up to around 15 to 20 per week for a few months. If you are still having this problem, ask the question again -- we will have totally different answers for you then.. Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

obsessor

you need an "e".
            run more is the answer indeed. if you do though... a lot of beginners (I'll raise my hand here for lessons learned last year) expect too much and actually run harder than they need to. My easier runs are only about 1 minute per mile faster than they were last year. But they are sooo much easier now. Last year I was huffin' and puffin'. The normal answer is slow down and run more. The more part is relative. You can add 2 miles a week or so as you build up. You can do it if you try. But the truth is you should slowly build up to 15 miles a week like they say and then you'll have a new set of questions... shoes and what-not.

Run More. And log it in here and make the log public so we can see how many miles you run. I would start running 3-4 times a week (ideally 4)...anywhere from 2 - 4 miles. If you can't run that far...run what you can/walk what you can't. Don't kill yourself or worry yourself about pace...just miles and time on your feet. 4 miles seemed like an eternity for me just back in April...and had to walk at least half of a 4 mile session...It gets easier with time. Week 1 Day 1 - 2 miles Day 2 - Rest/Crosstrain Day 3 - 3 miles Day 4 - Rest/Crosstrain Day 5 - 2 miles Day 6 - Rest Day 7 - 4 miles That will put you at 11 miles for the first week. A good place to work up to the 15-20 suggested.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

#artbydmcbride

Even pizza counts towards eating pie too!

Runners run

A whole pie will likely slow you down
                  I am the living, breathing, pie-eating proof that this isn't true. As long as you listen to your body, you can safely eat as much pie as you wish. As long as your breathing isn't labored, and you are still able to have a conversation, keep eating. Simply stated, eat by feel. However, you must run a 100 miles per week while doing this or you will get fat.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Bugs

And eat pie.
                    Excellent choice! Had an ice bath after hard 20 mile run a few weeks ago, but needed to eat after run too, ate (only half) a strawberry pie while I froze my tush off. Best recovery I've ever had. Smile

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Already been said, but it's spot on and worth repeating. Run more but not too hard.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Already been said, but it's spot on and worth repeating. Run more but not too hard.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Already been said, but it's spot on and worth repeating.
                          I guess so... Wink Run more often, don't run so fast that you feel like you're always running a race, and vary your routes to keep things interesting. Oh, and have fun. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mitch & Pete's Mom

And eat pie. Pie makes everything better (but eat a sensible amount of pie. A whole pie will likely slow you down)
                            If you run with friends, bring extra forks for the pie. Yes, the whole pie will slow you down, take turns holding the pie with your running buddies. Seriously, find some running buddies, pie is optional. It will give you some motivation and keep you on track as you move up the milage. Next up, plain or chocolate milk in the hydration belt?
                            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                              Next up, plain or chocolate milk in the hydration belt?
                              Definately strawberry milk, whole milk too, none of this 1% stuff.
                              nothing is scarier than rabid squirrels with light sabers...except clowns, clowns are definitely scarier

Hawt and sexy

I vote for the pie and feeling Greta.

I'm touching your pants.