Rising costs of our prescriptions (Read 958 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh. My albuterol inhalers used to cost $5. Now they are $20. I knew some of our prescription drug costs would be going up, but this is ridiculous. Between that and my Singulair I think my asthma will be costing us about $40/month. If I didn't run I could probably avoid these for the most part (since my asthma isn't too bad until I start to exercise or if my allergies are really bad, like right now). Just when I think I can start cutting corners on my running expenses something like this rears its head--arghhhh.... Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go to WalMart. Cheap prescriptions. Albuterol ALWAYS cost about $30. It is your portion of it that has risen, not the drug cost itself.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go to WalMart. Cheap prescriptions. Albuterol ALWAYS cost about $30. It is your portion of it that has risen, not the drug cost itself.
        Yeah, I think the cost that it says on the bag is ~$35, so we're still getting a "deal." But to go from $5 to $20 is a bit hard to swallow. WM...no way. I'd rather pay more. Plus our nearest WM is further away, so it may not cost much in the end. I should see what it would be at Walgreens, which is closer. Probably not less than what we pay at Meijer, though. Trent, know of any asthma meds that are likely to be cheaper? I'd be willing to try something else if it worked as well (or better) and cost us less. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Buy it via mail-order. There are loads of ways to get your Rx three months at a time (doc has to write a 90-day prescription). For asthma, it is a primary med (like singulair) and a rescue med (albuterol). Gotta have and buy both. Why did your insurance stop paying for albuterol? That seems odd; albuterol should always always have the lowest tier copay.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why did your insurance stop paying for albuterol? That seems odd; albuterol should always always have the lowest tier copay.
            They're still paying for it, just not nearly as much. I don't know...I really should call and ask. That surprised me, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

zoom-zoom, that is wierd that your albuterol is costing that much, esp if you're on a generic. I'm on a name brand because so far, I wind up coughing up all the generic albuterols out there. I have no idea why - it's the same stuff, but it triggers a cough reaction within seconds of a puff. Haven't been able to figure that one out Sad and am paying more as a result. *sigh* gotta love insurance and the medical industry.
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry