need guidance for HM pace (Read 469 times)

I need help in reevaluating pace for my upcoming HM on March 2nd. I ran a marathon in November in 3:44 and one in January in 3:32. My HM PR was set in December, 1:36:57. I am 49. This is a hilly course and I recently started doing a 10 mile run on Wednesdays on a very hilly course. I have been doing two hard workouts a week, the LR and the Wednesday run. All other runs recently have been easy. The reason for my post is based on my run yesterday. I felt like it was a breakthru run. I did it at a 7:20 pace and did not feel drained afterwards. Soreness has been minimal. I had planned on shooting for a 7:15 pace but think this may be too conservative. I am doing 14 miles on same training course this Saturday then another 10 next week hard before slacking off some. Would appreciate any advice about pace for the HM.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

I would be a bit cautious about changing my plans on the basis of a single run, no matter how good or bad. It's great you had such a good run, but I would want to see if i could reach that level consistently before changing race strategy, especially on a hilly course. From the pace you are running and your training log it seems you are a more experienced (and much faster) runner than I am, so perhaps you can judge this better for yourself.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

How about 7:15 for the first 10-15K, and then re-evaluate? Negative splits aren't a bad thing, especially if you're in PR range with the 7:15.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you input your recent 10-miler into the McMillan Calculator, you get 7:26 pace for a half (1:37:23). Given that your 10-miler wasn't an all-out race, I agree that you should be close to our faster than your PR. Go out at about 7:15~7:20 pace (but no faster), then try to go slightly negative over the second half of the course. Your training looks pretty good. I would suggest trying a few shorter "classic" 20 minutes tempo runs. You HM PR predicts a pace of 7:12 (via Daniels' VDOT method), but a more accurate pace of 7:03 comes from your recent 5k race (20:40). Always good to get some faster than race pace work in. I have a few other suggested workouts you may want to try, though you are getting close to race day, so use your judgment. I got them from a book of workouts for specific distances. These are from the half-marathon chapter. •10 minute intervals at 10k pace (6:53 based on your 5k time) with 5 minute recoveries. Start with two 10 minute intervals, add a third 5 minute interval when you're ready for it. •3x(800-1600) with 5 minute recoveries. Run the first 800 at 10k pace, then without stopping, run the last 1600 at your planned half marathon pace (7:15). •2This one looks like a mutha: 2x(400-1200-3200) with 5min recovery. First 400m at close to all out, then without stopping, the next 1200 at 10k speed, and the last 3200 at HM race pace (7:15) Even though the HM is run at slower than lactate threshold pace (tempo pace), raising your lactate threshold speed also raises your speed at lower distances. Also, the fast-paced running in the above workouts will make your HM pace feel easier to you. Good Luck.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SimonR, I agree about one run. But I have been seeing a progression in my training the past few months that I haven't seen before. I set my half PR in December and my 5k PR the week before my Marathon PR in January. I did post about the previous day's run but it is a culmination of continuing improvements in racing and training. jeffgoblue, What book are the workouts from? I like the first two but probably won't try them until after the race. My run on Wednesday at 7:21 may have been misleading. My splits were 8:45, 8:00, 7:01, 7:07, 6:52, 6:54, 7:40, 7:01, 7:11, 6:53. Kind of like a warmup with a 4 mile tempo, a one mile breather and a 3 mile tempo. I actually throw some of those faster miles into every LR and Wednesday, just more of it this week. I think I will go out at 7:20 for the first 4 miles then reevaluate. There is supposed to be a bad hill at 3.5 miles. Viich, I agree about negative splits. I did that for my half PR. It felt great passing all those people. Thanks for the advice.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon