Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

Smashy!!!

Can you say what the stack heights will be on the upcoming Sayonara?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

OK, Mizuno question:

Interested in the Rider 16, Elixir 7 or 8, and Precision 13/Sayonara, and Creation 14.  How do the uppers compare in the forefoot v. the Rider 15?  Any of them broader across the front edge (like, e.g., the Brooks PureCadence)?

Have you looked at the Evo Cursoris? I tried them out this past Saturday. The Cursoris has a very wide toe box (actually too wide for me).

The plus was that it was the most comfortable running shoe I've ever put on. I'm talking slippers comfortable here, not just comfortable for a running shoe.

The minus was that being that comfortable made the shoe feel heavier than it actually is. I forefoot strike and the shoe looks like it is made for a mid-forefoot strike but felt kind of squishy on landing.

I only did 5 miles on the test run so maybe the cushioning will break in to be a bit less squishy over time.

As to your question; the Rider 16 fit my feet fairly well (I have somewhat narrow feet) so I'd say the toe box is neither particularly wide (like the Cursoris) or abnormally narrow. I only tested the 15s and 16s for 5 miles each, but the 16s are (in my opinion) drastically improved over the 15s.

Token Fat Guy

how about these Europe colors?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mizuno-wave-precision-13-shoes-1/

Kinda like the first Gen Enigmas.  My wife (born & raised in Denver) would love to see me in those. Big grin

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

Some info posted today, interviewing Doug... the head of Footwear at Mizuno Running....

http://citysportsblog.com/city-sports/introducing-the-wave-evo-series-interview-with-mizuno-usas-doug-smiley/

---------

Have you looked at the Evo Cursoris? I tried them out this past Saturday. The Cursoris has a very wide toe box (actually too wide for me).

As to your question; the Rider 16 fit my feet fairly well (I have somewhat narrow feet) so I'd say the toe box is neither particularly wide (like the Cursoris) or abnormally narrow. I only tested the 15s and 16s for 5 miles each, but the 16s are (in my opinion) drastically improved over the 15s.

delucj, thanks for the info.  To your first point, I'm scared of going to such low-drop shoes.  I have an Achilles/calf history, so it's been a very slow process of weaving the PureCadence into the rotation and building the distance I run in them.

My issue with Mizunos' fit isn't the width at the ball of the foot, it's out at the toes.  When I flatten my foot to the ground (i.e., toe to ground while heel still there) , both the Rider 15 and the Inspire 6 get a couple creases running longitudinally (starting from the front tip of the shoe and heading toward the bottom of the lace horseshoe).  The lateral crease presses down on my toenails and has actually blackened a couple.  I don't see this phenomenon with the PureCadence, NB890 (v1), or my Adidas Rocket flats.  Not sure if it's due to the upper material, the curve at the end of the shoe, the degree of court-jester toe turn-up, or what.  But it's a PITA, because I otherwise really like the Rider 15 and would love to give the Precision a try.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Given your concerns with a zero drop shoe, and issues with calf..... I'd agree the Precison or Elixir would be best choices!

---------

Hey, sethh, thanks for the link about the EVO series! The Levitas looks intriguing and might fix the wide toe box and "too comfortable" problems that I had with the Cursoris (I felt like I was sinking into the shoe with every step).

Have you personally run in the Levitas before? Does it feel stiffer in the forefoot than the Cursoris?

Hey, sethh, thanks for the link about the EVO series! The Levitas looks intriguing and might fix the wide toe box and "too comfortable" problems that I had with the Cursoris (I felt like I was sinking into the shoe with every step).

Have you personally run in the Levitas before? Does it feel stiffer in the forefoot than the Cursoris?

Actually I have only run in the Cursoris, but played with the Levitas a bit... it's actually a touch more flexible.

---------

Can you say what the stack heights will be on the upcoming Sayonara?

Hey Cbus,

Hope all is well, havent touched base in a bit!

The Sayanora will pretty very low to the ground, coming in at 19-9 stack heights! (10mm ramp)

So compared to Elixir (27/15) and Musha (22/13) it's going to provide an awesome performance running experience... will be the first mizuno shoe utilizing the new midsole compound u4Ic  which is 30% lighter than our current AP+ midsole, yet just as resilient.

Going to have a fast feel being that low slung.   (For comparison the Kinvara is 23/19 and the Pure Connect is 18/13.)

I'm so stoked for this shoe (obviously)

---------

flarunner

I was interested what your view would be, so I'm glad you chimed in Thunder.  Like I said in my above post, I'm not awfully surprised if there is data to support this but I certainly don't dig them personally (as some others here have also voiced) and since the lightweight trainers I wear tend not to be "core models" it looks like I cannot count on having the option of non-neon colors.

I'm glad you guys haven't totally written off the faster crowd.  I tell you it is disappointing to walk into a shoe store owned by Bob Kennedy and not be able to find shoes.  Sad  I understand the reasons behind this but it is still annoying.  There are no local options here with the kind of selection it sounds like you carry, and we didn't have it in Michigan where there was a higher number of fast runners, either.  Heck, around here I can't even count on them having a pair of men's running shorts that aren't soccer shorts.

That store at 86th and Ditch has the Precisions 13s that look like these for $110.00

EricR

Hey Cbus,

Hope all is well, havent touched base in a bit!

The Sayanora will pretty very low to the ground, coming in at 19-9 stack heights! (10mm ramp)

So compared to Elixir (27/15) and Musha (22/13) it's going to provide an awesome performance running experience... will be the first mizuno shoe utilizing the new midsole compound u4Ic  which is 30% lighter than our current AP+ midsole, yet just as resilient.

Going to have a fast feel being that low slung.   (For comparison the Kinvara is 23/19 and the Pure Connect is 18/13.)

I'm so stoked for this shoe (obviously)

Whoa, I'd heard from a reliable source that  while the Sayonara was 19-9, that compared to Elixir at 21-9.  So, only a slightly lower offset.

JnGville

If 9mm were the stack height at the forefoot of the Sayonara, it would be five mm lower than a Universe, or two mm lower than a Merrell trail or road glove... Is it possible that stat is the midsole only, not the overall stack height, which includes the outsole rubber and insole?

Feeling the growl again

I have never paid that much for a pair of shoes. Smile  It is in line with online prices for the current model though.

Nice to hear they actually stock them now.  I checked all around several years ago and nobody did so I gave up and started ordering last year's model online for $70.

That store at 86th and Ditch has the Precisions 13s that look like these for $110.00

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If 9mm were the stack height at the forefoot of the Sayonara, it would be five mm lower than a Universe, or two mm lower than a Merrell trail or road glove... Is it possible that stat is the midsole only, not the overall stack height, which includes the outsole rubber and insole?

You are correct sir.

The 19/9 quote I was given is direct from the head of footwear at Mizuno, and the numbers I posted from other shoes were just examples from RunningWarehouse....

---------

Whoa, I'd heard from a reliable source that  while the Sayonara was 19-9, that compared to Elixir at 21-9.  So, only a slightly lower offset.

Yea exactly ... 10 vs. 12...

Mizuno isn't really concerned about millimeters... just honestly trying to make the best feeling shoe, it would have been very easy to just shave a few millimeters off a heel (or add some to the forefoot), but it doesn't make the shoe any better...

---------