Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I ordered a pair of Sayonara's in my regular size, but they were way too long. Bummer.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I ordered a pair of Sayonara's in my regular size, but they were way too long. Bummer.

I also half-sized down.  What is your "regular" shoe?

---------

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I also half-sized down.  What is your "regular" shoe?

I wear a size 10 Brooks Launch. I consider it one of the better fitting shoes that I own, so I usually compare the fit of other shoes against the Launch. I have a pair of Wave Rider 14 and Ronin 3 in size 10 that fit well. I have a pair of Precision 13 that I had to go down to size 9.5 and I'm not real crazy about the way they fit. I was hoping the Sayonara wouldn't have the same problem.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

meaghansketch

I half-sized down also in the Sayonaras.  IMO the fit is great once you size down, but yeah, it's a little annoying when you can't try them on in person.

Docket_Rocket

I was true to size with the Sayonaras.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I have a pair of Precision 13 that I had to go down to size 9.5 and I'm not real crazy about the way they fit. I was hoping the Sayonara wouldn't have the same problem.

I totally understand how it can be frustrating not having consistent sizing across the board, for most of the day I work the floor in running shops to see whats happening... and I see it all the time, it's annoying.. agreed!

But, shoes are all made differently for different fits, feels, etc... Once I sized down in the Sayonara the fit was perfect.  Hope you agree!

Either way, how's training going?

---------

I half-sized down also in the Sayonaras.  IMO the fit is great once you size down, but yeah, it's a little annoying when you can't try them on in person.

exactly.

How is NYC training going?!?!?

---------

Hey Seth, I'm curious about something. So I just stocked up on 3 pairs of Wave Inspire 8's in a different color scheme than my old Inspire 8's, but I didn't think twice about the color because I figured it was just a cosmetic difference. However, as soon as I tried the new ones on I could tell they were different: much lighter, for one thing, and firmer, though that might just be because the cushioning in the old pair was totally shot. Anyway, since I'm geeky like that, I weighed both pairs on my kitchen scale and found that my new Inspire 8's are almost 20g per shoe lighter than the old ones (295g vs 312 per shoe in a women's size US10.)

I know it seems like a small difference, but I definitely feel it when I run, so I'm wondering what the difference is? And is it often the case that there are different subversions of the same shoe even when the number is the same? The old shoes weren't mud-caked, wet, or anything else that would add to the weight. Something about the construction is different. The new pair is blue, white and silver with a little neon orange accent in the heel area. The old pair is silver and black with a purple sole.

Cyberic

When I tried on a pair of Wave Riders 16, I fell in love with them. They became my favorite running shoes. I used to run in Asics Cumulus and a guy at the store made me try those on and I bought them immediatly. I later on bought some Sayonaras that I use for racing. Love them. But I still had a pair of Asics Cumulus 14s that were very good, so ever since I bought the Riders I'd alternate between the Riders and the Cumulus 14s. But yesterday I had to take the sad decision to retire my Riders because they no longer offer proper insole support in my right foot. What I find sad is that this happens after only 656 km (406 miles). My Asics Cumulus 13s lasted 853 km before I retired them, and I still use my Cumulus 14s after 914 km.

Since the Riders cost the exact same price as the Cumulus, I will now have the dilemma of buying either Riders that I prefer or Cumulus that last almost 50% longer.

I weigh 175-180 lbs, so I think that 406 miles is decent mileage for a running shoe, but is this common that Asics last longer than Mizunos?

Fruchtenstein

Hi, Cyberic99,

I can compare Asics 1170 and Mizuno Rider 15. I'd say yes, Asics' life was a bit longer. I have a wide foot and in both shoes the upper was torn near the little toe: after 400 km in Asics and after 600 km in Riders. But it was not a big problem and I kept running in them. Now, I have run 1200+ km in Asics. I'm about to throw them away, but the cushioning is still normal. But the Riders' soles felt as if made of wood after ~700 km and I don't use them for running anymore.

Hey!   Thanks for the note...

Stocked up on 8's you say....  Just curious why?  The 9 is a full ounce lighter, but the 10 comes out in about a month and I'm so excited for it!   There is differential in all shoes, across lines... so a 0.65 ounce difference in a brand new shoe (not broken down, nothing worn off, compressed, EVA still 100% full of air) will always weight more than an old broken down pair.

I don't want to say you can't feel it.... but I think you're noticing the feel of a fresh pair instead of roughly just a half ounce.

Hope training is going well!!

Hey Seth, I'm curious about something. So I just stocked up on 3 pairs of Wave Inspire 8's in a different color scheme than my old Inspire 8's, but I didn't think twice about the color because I figured it was just a cosmetic difference. However, as soon as I tried the new ones on I could tell they were different: much lighter, for one thing, and firmer, though that might just be because the cushioning in the old pair was totally shot. Anyway, since I'm geeky like that, I weighed both pairs on my kitchen scale and found that my new Inspire 8's are almost 20g per shoe lighter than the old ones (295g vs 312 per shoe in a women's size US10.)

I know it seems like a small difference, but I definitely feel it when I run, so I'm wondering what the difference is? And is it often the case that there are different subversions of the same shoe even when the number is the same? The old shoes weren't mud-caked, wet, or anything else that would add to the weight. Something about the construction is different. The new pair is blue, white and silver with a little neon orange accent in the heel area. The old pair is silver and black with a purple sole.

---------

Hey Cyberic...

I'm a little confused as to what "insole support" is.   What are you feel you are missing out on here?

Asics makes great shoes for sure, but this is the first time I have ever heard of the Cumulus lasting longer than a Mizuno shoe

When I tried on a pair of Wave Riders 16, I fell in love with them. They became my favorite running shoes. I used to run in Asics Cumulus and a guy at the store made me try those on and I bought them immediatly. I later on bought some Sayonaras that I use for racing. Love them. But I still had a pair of Asics Cumulus 14s that were very good, so ever since I bought the Riders I'd alternate between the Riders and the Cumulus 14s. But yesterday I had to take the sad decision to retire my Riders because they no longer offer proper insole support in my right foot. What I find sad is that this happens after only 656 km (406 miles). My Asics Cumulus 13s lasted 853 km before I retired them, and I still use my Cumulus 14s after 914 km.

Since the Riders cost the exact same price as the Cumulus, I will now have the dilemma of buying either Riders that I prefer or Cumulus that last almost 50% longer.

I weigh 175-180 lbs, so I think that 406 miles is decent mileage for a running shoe, but is this common that Asics last longer than Mizunos?

---------

Hello Seth! Thanks for your answer. In fact the situation was the reverse of what you describe: the old,broken-down pair was heavier. The new pair feels fantastic, almost like a true lightweight stability trainer (here I should probably state that my main comparison is the Nirvana, so pretty much anything will feel lightweight) The only thing I could come up with was that maybe the salt from dried-out sweat, plus the general dust and dirt that get ground into the fabric, make the old ones weigh more. Whatever, it really doesn't matter that much, I was just curious!

I stocked up on 8's because they were on sale and I don't have room in my budget to pay full-price (140 euros!!!) for shoes. Also, I read that the 9's are narrower in the forefoot, which is bad news for me because I have flat feet and bunions. Is that also true of the 10's? (Just in case I find 140 euros lying around in the street...Tongue)

Hey!   Thanks for the note...

Stocked up on 8's you say....  Just curious why?  The 9 is a full ounce lighter, but the 10 comes out in about a month and I'm so excited for it!   There is differential in all shoes, across lines... so a 0.65 ounce difference in a brand new shoe (not broken down, nothing worn off, compressed, EVA still 100% full of air) will always weight more than an old broken down pair.

I don't want to say you can't feel it.... but I think you're noticing the feel of a fresh pair instead of roughly just a half ounce.

Hope training is going well!!

I'd say across the board Asics is always going to feel MUCH softer than Mizuno shoes.

We make our shoes well cushioned, for sure.... but we believe in more of a firmer/responsive cushion, which we find gives the smoothest road feel.  But that is why there are so many different brands, for runners looking for each/every type of running experience!

Hi, Cyberic99,

I can compare Asics 1170 and Mizuno Rider 15. I'd say yes, Asics' life was a bit longer. I have a wide foot and in both shoes the upper was torn near the little toe: after 400 km in Asics and after 600 km in Riders. But it was not a big problem and I kept running in them. Now, I have run 1200+ km in Asics. I'm about to throw them away, but the cushioning is still normal. But the Riders' soles felt as if made of wood after ~700 km and I don't use them for running anymore.

---------

Docket_Rocket

Been meaning to post about this:

My first pair of Sayonaras was at 123 miles when the upper developed a little opening.  I am not sure why.  Maybe it got caught up in something or it developed itself.  Either way, I have had more than 20 pairs of Mizuno shoes in my lifetime with no issues.  Seth recommended I contact Mizuno directly after my LRS declined to take care of it.  Mizuno was awesome responding and now I own a new pair of Sayonaras.  My second pair is at 50 miles with no issues now.  Very happy with their customer service.

I went back and ran in the Elixirs 8 this week and after being married to the Elixirs and not sure about the Sayonaras, the Elixirs felt a bit heavier than I remembered.  Today I ran in the Sayonaras and got the aha feeling I was missing.  Although I didn't love them at first sight, they have become my LR and marathon shoe.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page