Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

Pedro P Sousa

If I can jump into the Cumulus vs Wave Rider debate. I own both (Cumulus 13 and Wave Rider 16) and love them both, I just use them for different purposes. The Asics definitely feel softer, more pillow-like with extraordinary cushioning, and they are now at 1600 km and counting - and yes they are still going strong, just the odd sign of tear at the toe are but they still feel exactly right. The Wave Riders are now at 400 km and virtually no sign of wear on them, the cushioning is fairly good too but as others have said a different, faster-feeling type of shoe with a harder feel on the heel are.

One thing I don't often see mentioned is that I think shoes have a sweet spot in terms of the speed at which they're supposed to be worn, I feel that at 5 min/km or slower (ie 8 minute mile pace or slower) the Asics are absolutely terrific. Once you go under this pace, and particularly at close to 4min30 / km (~7:15 mile) or faster, the Mizunos have a more natural bouncy feel enabling you to have a quicker touch on the ground compared to the Asics. In my case easy workouts suit the Asics well, faster workouts suit the Wave Riders better, so I interchange both and am more than happy with each.

meaghansketch

exactly.

How is NYC training going?!?!?

Didn't see this until just now--

Thanks Seth!  Training is going great, tapering now and finally decided on the Sayonaras as my marathon shoe!  I was unsure since I hadn't done any long runs in them, but after an HM wearing them (with some extra miles as warmup and cooldown) I think they will do perfectly.  Just enough stability and cushioning for me, but surprisingly lightweight.  I will report back after the race!

Cyberic

Hey Cyberic...

I'm a little confused as to what "insole support" is.   What are you feel you are missing out on here?

Asics makes great shoes for sure, but this is the first time I have ever heard of the Cumulus lasting longer than a Mizuno shoe

Hi, sorry about not being clear, my english is somewhat shaky at times. Plus, I'm no expert, I'm just a regular guy running.

What I'm trying to say is that my feet aren't flat when I run. The shoes make me run flat by offering some kind of support or cushioning. But when the cushioning loses its ability to come back to its original form and has an "imprint" of the imperfect shape of my foot, then the shoe is not compensating anymore. So I don't run "flat" or compensated anymore. The support is not there where it is needed anymore. When that happens I retire the shoes to avoid injuries.

Cyberic

If I can jump into the Cumulus vs Wave Rider debate. I own both (Cumulus 13 and Wave Rider 16) and love them both, I just use them for different purposes. The Asics definitely feel softer, more pillow-like with extraordinary cushioning, and they are now at 1600 km and counting - and yes they are still going strong, just the odd sign of tear at the toe are but they still feel exactly right. The Wave Riders are now at 400 km and virtually no sign of wear on them, the cushioning is fairly good too but as others have said a different, faster-feeling type of shoe with a harder feel on the heel are.

One thing I don't often see mentioned is that I think shoes have a sweet spot in terms of the speed at which they're supposed to be worn, I feel that at 5 min/km or slower (ie 8 minute mile pace or slower) the Asics are absolutely terrific. Once you go under this pace, and particularly at close to 4min30 / km (~7:15 mile) or faster, the Mizunos have a more natural bouncy feel enabling you to have a quicker touch on the ground compared to the Asics. In my case easy workouts suit the Asics well, faster workouts suit the Wave Riders better, so I interchange both and am more than happy with each.

The Cumulus 13' were much more cushiony than the 14s. And it's the firmer 14s that are now 920km and counting. I tried on the 15s and they went back to cushiony. Didn't buy them.

I know what you mean about the feel of running in the Riders compared to the Asics. That's why I'll probably buy another pair of Riders and hope that they last longer. In fact I *think* the problem I have is that I'm a forefoot striker and the Riders have all their cushioning at the heel area. So my style of running may be hard on the forefoot cushioning of the Riders.

Cyberic

Hi, Cyberic99,

I can compare Asics 1170 and Mizuno Rider 15. I'd say yes, Asics' life was a bit longer. I have a wide foot and in both shoes the upper was torn near the little toe: after 400 km in Asics and after 600 km in Riders. But it was not a big problem and I kept running in them. Now, I have run 1200+ km in Asics. I'm about to throw them away, but the cushioning is still normal. But the Riders' soles felt as if made of wood after ~700 km and I don't use them for running anymore.

Hmmm, so that's two of us with a similar experience. To me that's a real bummer because I was letting my Asics wear out and was going to go Mizuno all the way. But the Mizunos wore out before the Asics. In fact they're still very good for walking, except they're yellow.

Awesome!  Swing by the booth and say hello!!

Didn't see this until just now--

Thanks Seth!  Training is going great, tapering now and finally decided on the Sayonaras as my marathon shoe!  I was unsure since I hadn't done any long runs in them, but after an HM wearing them (with some extra miles as warmup and cooldown) I think they will do perfectly.  Just enough stability and cushioning for me, but surprisingly lightweight.  I will report back after the race!

---------

Docket_Rocket

Awesome!  Swing by the booth and say hello!!

Seth, will you be there at the expo?  I'm going to be there too!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YESSSSSSS!!!!  Stoked to meet you!

Seth, will you be there at the expo?  I'm going to be there too!

---------

Docket_Rocket

YESSSSSSS!!!!  Stoked to meet you!

Woohoo!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I am about to order my pair of Sayonaras, and I have a question about perhaps the most significant aspect of any running shoe: the colorways.

First off, are there any new colors coming, like, within the next week or two?  It'd be about my luck to go ahead and buy, then shortly thereafter some new, snazzy-looking colorway comes out that I want, want, want.

Second, of the two that are out currently, I like the "white/anth/lime" version; however, past experience with my nice white/orange Flows has been that, despite my best efforts, at some point I'll step in a soggy patch of grass or splash through a puddle, getting them dirty, and then I have dingy-looking shoes.  Is there anything about the material in the uppers that would lend itself to particularly easy cleaning, should this travesty occur?

I can't believe Mizuno isn't producing informative YouTube videos addressing these all-important questions about their products.  Thanks for being here to take up the slack!  Wink

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Cyberic

Just ordered another pair of Wave Riders 16 after all. I'll see if this pair lasts me longer, and if they don't, at least I'll have fun running in them.

ohhayitskk

I went back a few pages and didn't see this specific question asked, so hopefully I'm not repeating something that's already been said but...

I currently have a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3s as my only running shoes. I really like them, but I'm looking for a shoe with slightly more cushion (not too much) for longer runs. Up until recently, I did have a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 15s. I liked them a lot, but towards the end of our time together, they started to give me top of foot pain. That being said, I'm not opposed to trying the 16s.

My question now is whether or not I should try the Wave Rider 16s or the Sayonara. I've been eyeing both and I'm not sure which direction I should go. I have a coupon for running shoes that expires in a week or so, so I want to get on it now, but I do have to order online, so I'm also looking for sizing guidance. I wear a 7.5 in regular shoes, usually go up to an 8 in running shoes. I have a wide foot and when I was wearing 7.5s, I kept losing toenails. That being said, it seems the Sayonaras are a bit big? Not sure about the WR 16s.

Help! Thanks!

Cyberic

I went back a few pages and didn't see this specific question asked, so hopefully I'm not repeating something that's already been said but...

I currently have a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3s as my only running shoes. I really like them, but I'm looking for a shoe with slightly more cushion (not too much) for longer runs. Up until recently, I did have a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 15s. I liked them a lot, but towards the end of our time together, they started to give me top of foot pain. That being said, I'm not opposed to trying the 16s.

My question now is whether or not I should try the Wave Rider 16s or the Sayonara. I've been eyeing both and I'm not sure which direction I should go. I have a coupon for running shoes that expires in a week or so, so I want to get on it now, but I do have to order online, so I'm also looking for sizing guidance. I wear a 7.5 in regular shoes, usually go up to an 8 in running shoes. I have a wide foot and when I was wearing 7.5s, I kept losing toenails. That being said, it seems the Sayonaras are a bit big? Not sure about the WR 16s.

Help! Thanks!

I'm no expert but I own a pair of each of the shoes you are talking about: WR 16 and Sayonara. In my case, I wear size 13 for the WR 16s and size 12 for the Sayonaras. I too have wide feet. In Asics shoes I either buy 2E or 4E width.

If you're looking for a shoe for longer runs, I would go with the Wave Riders. The Sayonaras are lighter, but have less cushioning. I use the Sayonaras for shorter, more intense runs, like intervals, and use the Wave Riders for longer runs. I also wore the Sayonaras for a Half-Marathon I ran in September as they are lighter so I figured they may help me shave a little time off my race result. My legs hurt afterwards, but since I raced (ran faster than usual)  the HM, maybe my legs would have hurt if I used another shoe.

Fruchtenstein

I currently have a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3s as my only running shoes. I really like them, but I'm looking for a shoe with slightly more cushion (not too much) for longer runs.

I thought so, too. But then I ran a marathon in Kinvaras and now I think they are good enough for all kinds of my runs. But before that I thought that Saucony Cortana may be a good option. They cost a bit too much, but otherwise that's what they appear to be—Kinvaras with more cushioning.

Sorry all.. I was away the past week working the NYC expo.  I'll answer these questions in the morning!

best

Seth

---------