First time below 10 min mile (Read 845 times)

run4fun8910

HI all, I am excited. For two reasons. 1st: Today was the first time that I have ran below a 10 min mile. I ran for 25 minutes. Went 2.51 miles. Turns out to be 9.58 min/mile. Big grin 2nd: the scale was nice to me today. 219.5 3rd: just finished my 7th week of running. Cool Some day I will be able to run with the rest of you guys. You maybe be 150 years old by then but some day. :-)
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

A Saucy Wench

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Nice milestone Shawn, well done. Keep at it and your goals will arrive sooner that you think.
        Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
          Congrats Shawn, Big grin I've been running for about 17 years, I know milestones are always important. If you keep at it you'll be improving for around 7 years. Remember baby steps in your advancements and make it a long term commitment. Concentrate on mileage and not on speed too much yet. You should be ready for a 5k this Spring. If you need any help with training ideas you've found the right place.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Rim Rock Dad

Way to go, Shawn! Before you know it, you'll be hitting that 9:00/mile barrier! Smile
            James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
            run4fun8910

I was very surprised to see the 9.58 min/m. I am not trying to go faster. I still even had more in me to day after my run. But I sure loved to see it. I am looking forward to the 19April my first 5k. I will post then how I did.
              Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Shawn ... Ive looked at your log and you are really working hard. You, like the rest of us here, are a runner ... brilliant effort and brilliant result. Just keep going and you will realise what you can achieve. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

run4fun8910

thanks for the applause everyone. Also thanks to everyone for making feel welcome. It can be hard coming to a new sport not knowing any of the lingo or how to behave. That leads me to what I need to learn about in addition to training. What to do on race day. Time to start using the search function. If anyone knows of a good thread let me know. Shawn

Big Chicken!

Great job Shawn! Consistent 10mm are my goal! Keep it up!
                    Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Another Passion

Way to go Shawn! Stick with it, everything will come down in time (weight/pace/times) except your mileage! Wink

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice consistent running (from your log)!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

great job on the weigh in and on breaking the 10 minute barrier!!
                          2009: BQ?
                            Nice job! I'm still looking forward to that one Smile
                            Heroes never die. They just reload.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shawn...wow, you did that while hauling nearly 220#s! Just imagine how much faster you will be with an even sleeker body and more experience! I guarantee you will get under 9 minutes/mile...and faster! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Shawn! I'm still shooting for the 10-minute pace myself, so it's nice to hear that you made it! After only 7 weeks of running, too!