Getting back into running- advice (Read 54 times)

cstone

3 or 4 years ago I was a pretty decent recreational runner. I ran 3-4 times a week, usually one long run 5-7 miles and 2 shorter 3.2 miles sub-10 minute miles (9:45ish). Since then life happened and I had a baby, became way more sedentary and gained about 30 lbs. I'm working on loosing the weight and obviously that's slowing me down. I really would like to get more seriously back into running, I loved how it made me feel and I felt accomplished doing it.

I've started running more regularly over the past two months and now I can run 2 11-minute miles pretty comfortably. I'm not as concerned about the time, but I would like more distance.

Any advice/encouragement/words of wisdom?

Seattle prattle

NOt much advice, but i totally agree with you - running makes a big difference in one's quality of life. Good luck with it and glad you could find your way back.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Run consistently - try for at least 3 runs of at least 20 minutes each week, but the more miles the better and allow at least one rest day. Keep a journal, online or written, keep track of distances and times. RunningAhead has a good online one or you could just write in a notebook. This will help you focus on what you are doing and encourage you as you see improvements. If you can find a running friend or group. Eat healthy foods, not junk. As your training progresses you may want to sign up for a 5k race, it does not matter if you are slow, I am sure there will be ones slower in the race. The idea is that you will then have a goal to train for and be more motivated in your training (Gosh, my 5k is just 3 weeks away, better do the run today!) It also motivates to read about running either online, in  books or magazines. I really enjoyed the books "Born To Run" and "Once A Runner". There are also many books on training available, all with different plans and philosophies. A good basic one is "Runners World Complete Guide To Running" of which there are several different versions and you can buy one of those online.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

roman_the_runner

Run, boy, run

So what's your question? Run more if you want to Smile

If you want more miles, work on the mileage. I guess you are focus on speed too much. Anyway, keep it going and remember — consistency is the key.