LInk to First Unread Post in a thread (Read 689 times)

gusgordon

Hi Eric,

Another RWOL refugee here.  I appreciate the work you've put into RunningAHEAD, and your responsiveness to user suggestions & requests.  So far I'm loving the site. 

Is there any way to implement the option to link to the first unread post in a particular thread?  I know I can always jump to the last post and work backward from there, but being able to jump right to the first unread post would be handy.

Many thanks!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, each person's browser does that.  It even works between my work and home computers with Firefox Sync.

gusgordon

Well, each person's browser does that.  It even works between my work and home computers with Firefox Sync.

LL, thanks, but...how?  I've tried FF, Chrome, and Safari, and I can either go to the very first post in a thread (by clicking the thread title) or to the last post made in a thread (by clicking the hyperlink in the "Last Post" column), but not to the first post that I have not read in a thread.  

eric :)

gusgordon,

I'm currently discussing the enhancements to the forums with another fellow programmer.  I can't make any promises on when it'll be available because I'm making a push to wrap up the first installment of log changes by end of the year.

eric Smile

Samurai in Training

I think you are already doing this.  If I click on a "Recent Topic" that I have already visited, I think it is taking me to where I left off.  That is from the primary forums page.

Docket_Rocket

I think you are already doing this.  If I click on a "Recent Topic" that I have already visited, I think it is taking me to where I left off.  That is from the primary forums page.

It takes you to the last post on the thread.  I'd never opened this thread and it took me straight to your post.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Samurai in Training

It takes you to the last post on the thread.  I'd never opened this thread and it took me straight to your post.

Bummer, it must just bring us to the last post.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Agreed.

I have no idea what LedLincoln is talking about. I can go to the beginning of the thread or the last post (depending on which link I use); but I've yet to find anything that takes me to the first post since my last visit.

Liz

pace sera, sera

eric :)

Hi folks,

I just added this feature.  When you are in a forum, you can click on the topic's subject to go to the first post since you last read it.  Originally, I was going to put this functionality in the icon to the left of the topic subject, but then I thought how often do you really want to go to the first post of the thread?  If I'm wrong about this, I can change it.

I haven't figured out how best to apply it to the recent topics list.  I guess it could be an icon.  If you have suggestions, please let me know.

As you browse through the forums, you'll notice the topic's icon will reflect whether you have read the entire thread.  This update should help the folks reading very active threads.  Enjoy!

eric Smile

Hi folks,

I just added this feature.  When you are in a forum, you can click on the topic's subject to go to the first post since you last read it.  Originally, I was going to put this functionality in the icon to the left of the topic subject, but then I thought how often do you really want to go to the first post of the thread?  If I'm wrong about this, I can change it.

I haven't figured out how best to apply it to the recent topics list.  I guess it could be an icon.  If you have suggestions, please let me know.

As you browse through the forums, you'll notice the topic's icon will reflect whether you have read the entire thread.  This update should help the folks reading very active threads.  Enjoy!

eric Smile

How's that for customer service.  Thanks it works great. 

You can call me Anna

gusgordon

Thanks, Eric!!!!!!!

CrisRuns

wow, thanks!

jfa

You're the best Eric. Thanks

Docket_Rocket

Hi folks,

eric Smile

I noticed it tonight.  I was like whoa, did eric work on this already?  Thanks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awesome addition, thanks, Eric (and gusgordon for suggesting it).  

In terms of what to do with the Recent Topics list, I'd suggest the same thing... I think it makes more sense to have the first unread post as default than the most recent post, does it not? 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac