Instant oatmeal (Read 1018 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I am a self professed Instant Oatmeal junkie. There isn't a flavor I don't like. However in the quest to eat healthier, I wanted to get away from those ubiquitous packets. Because it was in the house, I've been trying receipes using rolled oats, rather than steel cut, but I figure the results will be mostly the same. In trying different things, I've reallized that I like the way that the instant stuff tastes and so I've been trying (with very little success) to re-create some of the easy ones, like maple & brown sugar. Adding maple syrup, brown sugar, and salt to a basic oatmeal recipe is flat and boring. I had similar results with raisin spice (what spice do they use, anyway?!?). Anyone have any suggestions?

http://xkcd.com/621/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is a recipe swap group with loads of foodie types here - http://runningahead.com/groups/AtoZRecipes/Forum Please join in and ask there as well. The spice used is likely a cinnamon mix. I usually just add loads of fruit and raisins. Oh, and IMO, rolled oats and steel cut oats are two totally different foods. As different as casein and whey Wink

The Greatest of All Time

Oh, and IMO, rolled oats and steel cut oats are two totally different foods. As different as casein and whey Wink
        Trent the Great pimp of Steel Cut Oats.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Trent the Great pimp of Steel Cut Oats.
          He has shares in the company..... Smile
            Ive been trying the steel cut oats thing and i just plain dont like it, but I suck it up and try to choke it down anyway.... The things that have gotten me through it are: bananas with chopped walnuts and a drizzle (a big drizzle) of honey, AND cinnamon with chopped up apples inthere. That usually does the trick
              Kashi Honey and Cinnamon, but you have to add a little more honey and cinnamon. After the additions it's good.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

cewickbe, what don't you like? Then again, if you don't like em, don't eat them (or make pancakes with em).
                jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I mix my steel cut oats with the frozen mixed berries from Costco (blueberries, marionberries, and raspberries) and a little flaxseed meal. I also cook a week's worth so I just have to reheat in the microwave in the morning.

running yogi

I love steel cut oats. I soak it overnight to make it cook faster. My 21 month old, who is a very pick eater, will eat cooked steel cut oats. I add little honey or molasses and raisins. In a hurry I will do rolled oats, but I have tried the instant variety it tastes like saw dust mixed with tons of sugar and artificial flavorings. Also I believe the instant one is not as nutritious as either the rolled or steel cut.

dork.major dork.

I love those mixed berries from CostCo. They are my dessert as well, a little maple syrup and walnuts or chocolate chips (without the syrup)... wonderful. MTA: Trent: Can you cook steel cut oats in the microwave? Are they nutritionally better than rolled? (I know rolled is better than quick)

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

running yogi

I love those mixed berries from CostCo. They are my dessert as well, a little maple syrup and walnuts or chocolate chips (without the syrup)... wonderful. MTA: Trent: Can you cook steel cut oats in the microwave? Are they nutritionally better than rolled? (I know rolled is better than quick)
                        I think the steel cut cooks better on slow heat. I have never tried microwave, but once in a while I will cook it overnight in a slow cooker and it's yummy. I always cook oats only in water and salt and if required add milk later when fully cooked. It cooks faster that way.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with RZR. The nutrition is the same in rolled and steel cut I believe.

running yogi

Ive been trying the steel cut oats thing and i just plain dont like it, but I suck it up and try to choke it down anyway.... The things that have gotten me through it are: bananas with chopped walnuts and a drizzle (a big drizzle) of honey, AND cinnamon with chopped up apples inthere. That usually does the trick
                            I think oats kind of grow on you. 10 years ago when I came to this country, I had never seen oats. I started eating it a few years ago, just because it was good for me and I really did not like them. Today I need my oats and coffee first thing in the morning. When you cook oats add a little salt. I don't like my oats without salt. It kind of pulls all the flavors together.

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks all! I'll give these suggestions a try and let you know how it goes!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Non ducor, duco.

I love steel cut oats. I soak it overnight to make it cook faster. My 21 month old, who is a very pick eater, will eat cooked steel cut oats. I add little honey or molasses and raisins. In a hurry I will do rolled oats, but I have tried the instant variety it tastes like saw dust mixed with tons of sugar and artificial flavorings. Also I believe the instant one is not as nutritious as either the rolled or steel cut.
                                Oh, I LOVE them too. I had them this am for the first time with dried apricots. Honestly, i bought them because Trent was so adamant (im such a follower) and the can was really cool-looking. I was wondering if the overnight thing worked. Thanks all for this info!