A question for the girls (Read 967 times)

zzz

I was wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this... My past two runs this have just been crap pretty much.... My legs feel dead, can't get a flow going, I am pissy as hell etc etc... I am pretty new to running so I don't know what is normal and what isn't.... I had a hysterectomy last year in April, I still have my ovaries so I still have PMS symptoms but obviously have no concrete evidence that this is PMS or just I suck this week at running. Does this sound normal? I've only been at this consistently for 9 weeks so I should probably track my mood in my log and see if I can find a link?? Any advice.... does this sound like PMS crap to any of you or just an off week?

running yogi

When I feel like this and I do once in a while, I take a break. I don't know what it is but I just listen to my body, and if it doesn't want to run, then I don't make it run. I try to find myself something else to do, like swimming or biking/spinning. Yoga helps me tremendously to get over this. (I never pass up a chance to sell yoga to anyone who will buy it)
      pitrunner

Is it kind of an overall general 'ick'? Or is it just related to your running? I've gotten to the point where it's an effort to even pick up my arm...and of course when I feel like that I definitely don't want to run, and then if I do it's terrible. I always attribute it to being run down or getting ready to be sick with a cold/flu etc. I actually sorta have the ick this week. I figured it was because I got really sick this past weekend, but it is pms time too....so who knows??!
          Sometimes when I feel like that, it is because my body is fighting something off. If I come down with something, I'll look back and recognize the dead-feeling days as the precursor to getting sick. Other times it's because I'm dehydrated--particularly this time of year. I'm always amazed at what a difference it makes if I drink more water before a run (I mean, a reasonable amount). And other times, mainly when my mileage is increasing a lot for a marathon, I need more protein. And then there are the days that I just suck at running. It feels like a hideous chore or like walking through concrete with waders on.

ScheriN

I agree with all of the above! I wish I could give you some great advice, but instead I'll give you the same old response from everyone else - listen to your body and if you aren't enjoying your run, cut it short. I took a week break this last week and it made a world of difference to me. My first run back was extremely enjoyable! It reminded me of why I run, so I've decided it is ok to take a week off here or there. I also know I'll have runs where I suck, but that is acceptable too... it gives me drive for my next one. Hope you feel better soon!
            zzz

hey y'all thanks for the words of advice and encouragement... RunZ I think I will try out the yoga... one of my gf at church is a yoga instructor... I've heard it can be really beneficial for runners.... core work and elongating muscles etc. It will probably help me get rid of some mental hangups.... pit...it's an overall feeling of ick... and as I am typing this I can feel some lower ab cramping so I'm guessing it is PMS.... which actually makes me happy... funny how you still get phantom cramps after a year and then some has gone by. ScherIn....great advice Smile we actually did cut the run short by a mile because we just couldn't get into a groove... we're taking the next two days off... no xt no anything and see how it goes saturday... i'll let y'all know and again thanks for the advice.... nice to know i'm not the only one with sucky days.... and a wise friend of mine told me today... there is no such thing as a bad run... just better ones... Tongue
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

My runs had been feeling icky lately, and my achilles tendon started acting up again, so I was getting discouraged. I almost bagged my run last night, but decided to go for it. I ended up running 8.2 miles, the longest I've gone since May, and it felt wonderful! It was like running on air. So I don't know what the deal is! I guess our bodies are more complicated than we realize sometimes. I hope you start feeling better!
                zzz

me too and good on you for pushing through!! that's awesome!!!

Double IPA Please!

I can tell you for a fact that my running sucks the week before my period is due. Period, end of story (pun intended)..I tracked it for about 4 months and it always works out the same. My running just sucks, my easy runs seem too give me hell and forget my Speed Workouts..I forge through, I slow down a tad more and keep telling myself this will pass, and it does. About a few days from my period my pace picks up and I feel awesome- I run my best when it actually comes- especially the day of and then I get progressively better until that week before again- wash, rinse, repeat. I have heard this from several other women as well.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I'm in the camp with the pre-period crappy runs. This month is was like a death march. I did it, but that was it. No happy stuff. I started my period with cramps, but went out for the run anyhow (banking on some endorphin boost) and it was all good after that. If I have a feeling of general fatigue before, during and after a slow, easy run, then I'll suspect that I may be fighting off a bug and give myself an extra day off. I've only been running for a year and a half, but more times than not, I'll have the "fighting off a bug" feel rather than coming down sick with the rest of the crowd. I attribute it to running. That being said, I think we need to listen to our bodies if it's saying "rest". One more thought - it's okay to run/walk if you're having a bad day and want to still try to get some miles in. :-) Pam
                        I was wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this... My past two runs this have just been crap pretty much.... My legs feel dead, can't get a flow going, I am pissy as hell etc etc... I am pretty new to running so I don't know what is normal and what isn't.... I had a hysterectomy last year in April, I still have my ovaries so I still have PMS symptoms but obviously have no concrete evidence that this is PMS or just I suck this week at running. Does this sound normal? I've only been at this consistently for 9 weeks so I should probably track my mood in my log and see if I can find a link?? Any advice.... does this sound like PMS crap to any of you or just an off week?
                        Im not one of the girls, but when I feel this same way, its normally because I ran too many days in a row, too hard or too long and all I need is a break. If I take a day off, and/or cut my running back a little, it all recovers. most recently, I ran 7 days in a row and that was too much for me,. So after I took off Tuesday, I had a great running day on Wed......Try a day or two off.........will work likely wonders.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm with what everyone else already said (except the boys). I recently stopped taking the Pill and noticed that my symptoms are way worse than they used to be. My runs the week before are always consistenly so bad that I usually dont get upset. and its a big lightbulb in my head now so I know to expect the "fun" to officially start the following week. Ive also starting taking notice to the fact that my body craves carbs and salt way more during that week. and if dont let my self eat it, everything else that isnt nailed down is in my mouth so i just suck it up and go with it. my lower back gets very tight so i try to up the amount of yoga i do during that week as well. that really helps just to get blood flowing and give you some kind of energy and mood relaxer as well. and as always, try not think about how many more years and years of this crap you have to put up with!!