Looking for a running app to use with my iPhone that's energy efficient (Read 96 times)

Today for the first time I used a running app on my iPhone called Run Keeper.  I was real happy with it.  But when I was finished after 2 hours today, I noticed it drained my iPhone's battery.  I should have known since I've used GPS apps for my motorcycle too that have drained the battery.  That's why I'm wondering what running app you use with your iPhone that isn't much of a pig?  I get the bad feeling though that all apps using GPS are pigs.

PS I did use the Run Forth app too but the GPS on it could not track me unlike the Run Keeper app.

npaden

You might check on some of the other apps that could be running in the background.

Also, are you running with the screen lit the entire time?  That does use battery but isn't required to track the run.

I just ran 2 1/2 hours today and my phone was still at 57% when I finished running Runkeeper and listening to an audiobook via bluetooth.

I finished my marathon with runkeeper running the entire time but I don't remember how much battery was left.

I would say you should be able to go 4 hours without recharging, probably closer to 5.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

From what i remember it was lit, I was listening to music too but I know from the past how music isn't much of a drain on the battery.  I'm going to try turning off the screen tomorrow when I use it and see what happens.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I've noticed that app is a hog too.  The best app I have used for battery usage with my iPhone is Zombies, Run!  But that app may not have the functionality you are looking for.

Leah, mother of dogs

Also, are you running with the screen lit the entire time?  That does use battery but isn't required to track the run.

This. Makes a big difference.

I used to use Runkeeper, and found it used nearly the entire battery life in a 20-miler (~3 hrs) before my first marathon. So I didn't even bother with it for the marathon. I did later find that Strava seems to use less, and also automatically shuts off the display - Runkeeper keeps it on unless you turn it off manually.

Since then I got a Garmin, so I don't have to worry about it.

Listening to music doesn't use much battery, as long as they are files on the device & not streaming.

You didn't say which phone you have or how old - I recently replaced my old 4s with a 6, and found a huge increase in battery life. Not sure if it is the phone itself, or just the old battery losing its life.

Dave

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have Garmin 310XT which will not upload to RA. Considering using the RunForth app on my next 50k. It will take 8+ hours. I have a recharger I am taking with me. The recharger worked on my 100 miler. I just could not see the time. Wore the 305 for 7 hours. The 310 recorded the 28 hours. The main thing I want  is to be able to upload to RA.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I also use RunKeeper and like npaden have completed a marathon with it running and didn't have an issue with the battery draining and I was out there for 4+ hours.

I have my iphone set to go into sleep mode after about 5 minutes or so which I'm sure helps preserve battery.

I have Garmin 310XT which will not upload to RA. Considering using the RunForth app on my next 50k. It will take 8+ hours. I have a recharger I am taking with me. The recharger worked on my 100 miler. I just could not see the time. Wore the 305 for 7 hours. The 310 recorded the 28 hours. The main thing I want  is to be able to upload to RA.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 and it did connect with Running Ahead but now it's quit connecting to this.  I do believe it's has to do with the contacts on the charger that I plug into the USB port.  Thus I ordered a new charger and hope I will be able to connect with Running Ahead again.

Thanks for the assistance here.  I did turn off the display on my smart phone and when I'm done running now after over 2 hours my smart phone usually has 85% to 90% of its battery strength left when I'm using run keeper to track my run.