Are Spartathon and Ultrarunning the same thing? (Read 442 times)

jingchunyu

Are Spartathon and Ultrarunning the same thing? Strange enough I heard this term Spartathon only recently
      Spartathlon is one of thousands of ultra races in the world today. Ultras are any races over the marathon distance, but usually start at 50k and range up to multi-day stage races as well as a 3100-mile race. Spartathlon commemorates the original route run by Phedipedes (sp?) to get help. Unfortunately, they only run it one direction each year, rather than the out/back that Ph. did originally followed by a marathon. There's apparently a fair amount of evidence that the original run to Sparta did occur, but the stuff that I've read suggests that the marathon is the run where evidence is lacking that it did occur. The great Yiannos Kouros holds the fastest times in Spartathlon, but American Scott Jurek (7-time winner of WS100) just 3-peated on it and has the fastest times after Kouros.
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      jingchunyu

Why didn't he ride a horse to Sparta?

Hawt and sexy

Dude, you took jing seriously? The horses were busy making baby horses for the effort. And you should be happy jing. Winter is coming so you can run on some nice salty interstates. Don't forget your gels...

I'm touching your pants.