Posterior tibialis tendonitis - i think (Read 56 times)

Snunicycler

I have a podiatrist I appointment coming up in 5 days but I'd like to try to get back into running this weekend if possible. Here's that happened

I'm training for the okc memorial marathon, 4/26. 2 weeks ago my long run was 14 miles (furthest I've ever run in my life!), it went ok but I felt what I thought was a small rock or a burr or something in my shoe, but I never found anything so I just kept going and it went away

Two days later I had a shorter 5 miles but I only made it half a mile before I felt legit pain. I retied my shoes a few times thinking it was too tight but it didn't help so I limped home. When I got my shoe off, I had significant swelling above the Arch and I'm wondering if it's posterior tibialis tendonitis.

I have new shoes, Mizuno wave runners 23 waveknit, that I had run about 30 miles in total before this run, the longest was 7 miles but I figured they were broken in enough to use them.

I've read that I might need more arch support but walking around in bare feet or flip flops is more comfortable than any shoes I own so I'm not so sure. I ordered superfeet blue anyway so we'll see when they get here tomorrow.

So... Anyway, what do I do? If I stay off of it, will I have time to get back to my previous level and then get prepared for the marathon?

SMART Approach

Address cause. Have you been strength training? Likely cause is definitely overuse or more stress than body is ready for. What is your previous running history before marathon training?

Let's view it as an injury since you had fairly sudden onset and swelling. Does it hurt to walk? I would take a week off from running and cross train and definitely walk if no pain. Movement is important for ckrculation and lymphatic drainage and to help relieve swelling/congestion and healing. Address this now. Try to avoid NSAIDS and ice for optimum healing response. Podiatrist will likely tell you something else.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Snunicycler

No strength training, just running. St the moment I'm going resistance babe therapy from instructions I found online since I can't get to the Dr until Wednesday.

Last year I was reasoning for a marathon. I injured myself (twice) a few monthsf the race and was down for several weeks, with only a few weeks left to prepare i ended up run/walking the half marathon instead. That was peroneal tendonitis both times. The first Dr told me to wait a week, ice it, then run again.

This year I built about 3 extra months into my training schedule, but illness, holidays, ice storms, and honestly a bit of laziness,took  up all but 4 of those extra weeks. Now I've used 2 of those up.

Hurts to walk in some of my everyday shoes, my running shoes too. But barefoot is pain free (I mean, I'm not running barefoot, walking). I'm sore after the resistance exercises though I guess. I've been reading it for almost 2 weeks, I ran a mile to see how it felt and couldn't really tell if I was feeling pressure, or pain, but it scared me so I stopped hahaha

Thanks

Snunicycler

I should probably also mention that at this point in my training I was running between 20 and 25 miles per week

SMART Approach

You really need to have a focus on injury prevention. This includes strength work from hips on down and also be more gradual with your training and ramp up. The body simply will break down if you don't allow full recovery between training efforts. Evaluaye your whole plan or this will become a regular cycle.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Snunicycler

Thanks, I'm fairly new to any kind of endurance running-before last year i had only really run a few 5Ks and a tough mudder or two. I gave myself several extra weeks thinking that would help me slow down the training program to help me avoid injury but the strength training is something i have certainly neglected. I think my main issue is that i don't have much equipment, and i don't have a gym membership or anything so it's easy to just use the cross training days for yoga & extra rest days (and most often i chose the latter).

Anyway, Dr appt was yesterday and he confirmed post tib tendonitis. X-rays show a mild flat foot, but he watched me walk and i did overpronate but not a whole lot. I think it's a combination of not enough support in my shoes, too many miles too fast, no strength training, etc. Dr. said i could get back into running when i feel able to, with some insoles and tape or something so i'll give it a shot.

So now i guess i need to try and figure out where i should start in my training schedule. do i just jump back in where i left off or back up a few weeks? The race is in 7 weeks (4/62) and my foot is still a little sore every now and then but i have superfeet insoles and they felt ok just walking around (pressure on the left foot from some inflammation still though). I figure i'll do a couple of easy runs to finish out this week to test it out. Then next week is a big question, the week after i kind of need to get back to the original schedule in order to be ready by race day.

is this even doable? or should i cut my losses and switch to the half marathon instead?

Not sure how to post pictures but i'll give google drive remaining schedulea shot

Snunicycler

Thanks, I'm fairly new to any kind of endurance running-before last year i had only really run a few 5Ks and a tough mudder or two. I gave myself several extra weeks thinking that would help me slow down the training program to help me avoid injury but the strength training is something i have certainly neglected. I think my main issue is that i don't have much equipment, and i don't have a gym membership or anything so it's easy to just use the cross training days for yoga & extra rest days (and most often i chose the latter).

Anyway, Dr appt was yesterday and he confirmed post tib tendonitis. X-rays show a mild flat foot, but he watched me walk and i did overpronate but not a whole lot. I think it's a combination of not enough support in my shoes, too many miles too fast, no strength training, etc. Dr. said i could get back into running when i feel able to, with some insoles and tape or something so i'll give it a shot.

So now i guess i need to try and figure out where i should start in my training schedule. do i just jump back in where i left off or back up a few weeks? The race is in 7 weeks (4/62) and my foot is still a little sore every now and then but i have superfeet insoles and they felt ok just walking around (pressure on the left foot from some inflammation still though). I figure i'll do a couple of easy runs to finish out this week to test it out. Then next week is a big question, the week after i kind of need to get back to the original schedule in order to be ready by race day.

is this even doable? or should i cut my losses and switch to the half marathon instead?

Not sure how to post picture of my schedule but my long runs are as follows. I am scheduled to run a combined 15-20 miles each week (3-5 as at a time) as well

3/22 - 16miles

3/29 - 10miles

4/5 - 17miles

4/12 - 20miles

4/19 - 10miles

4/26 - marathon

SMART Approach

No. You can't stop running for weeks in middle of a marathon program and think you can do a marathon in 7 weeks when you still have soreness. I would question doing the half. It would be different if you were a 60 mile per week runner with extreme base. Your focus should be on getting healthy. Your runs the next few weeks should be very easy even with some walk breaks. Warm up thouroughly with hot water soak and walking and just go out for 15 min first day with a few walk breaks to give you some confidence you are ready. Build SLOWLY from there with every other day running. My concern is you did not do much in way of strength or flexibility work when off. You don't need to go to gym for this.

Snunicycler

Ok thanks. Not what i wanted to hear but i'm sure you're right. 
                    I did an easy 1.5 yesterday with superfeet insoles and i think they helped but I'll continue to take it easy and see how it goes. I do think i'm going to try to build back to the half though. This race, the OKC Memorial Marathon, is a race that is pretty important to me and to the community so i want to run it.

What do you recommend for strength training at home? I have been doing some resistance bands work on my ankles, yoga, and a few squats & lunges here and there... but i had assumed that strength training meant leg presses and stuff in the gym. I watched a few videos on YouTube about running strength training and they always have equipment that i don't have.

Equipment I DO have that i could use:

Bowflex SelectTech (adjustable) dumbells,

Resistance bands, a blue Theraband and a medium loop/strap thing my wife bought

A pull up bar for my doorway.

I really appreciate the tips!