10 days of running pictures no explanation on Faceplace (Read 131 times)

xhristopher

Perhaps you've seen it. 10 days of pics and people tagging. Really? 

Discuss.

I can’t do the poll because there’s no option for “I don’t get it”. I’d maybe understand the point if you were supposed to explain why the photo is important. Then again, things having a point is definitely not the point of Facebook 🤔 

At least it’s not political memes or photos of kids’ sports?

Then again, things having a point is definitely not the point of Facebook 🤔

That's correct. The point of Facebook is for Facebook to collect as much personal information about you as possible and monetize it through targeted advertising.

Runners run

paul2432

I voted for cringe.  I haven’t seen this pop up in my FB circle but expect it will soon.  I have several FB friends that go for that type of thing.

As an aside, I never quite understood why people don’t like targeted ads. I’d rather see ads for things potentially useful to me then stuff completely irrelevant.

As an aside, I never quite understood why people don’t like targeted ads. I’d rather see ads for things potentially useful to me then stuff completely irrelevant.

Do you understand why people might be uncomfortable with how much and what types of data Facebook collects about people, who they share it with, what else they us it for?

Runners run

Remember the time they gave companies access to users’ private messages? That was...something...

Do you understand why people might be uncomfortable with how much and what types of data Facebook collects about people, who they share it with, what else they us it for?

paul2432

If someone wants to use the fact that I'm a runner for nefarious purposes I'm not scared.

But yes, I do understand why people might be uncomfortable.

But no issues with giving your data to Strava?

https://www.wired.com/story/strava-privacy-settings-how-to/

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm sure it's not unlike the 10 year photo challenge. Ten running photos are likely to be over a spread of time, not 10 photos from the same year. These are all ways to collect batches of photos to test facial recognition technology and see how it works at targetting people as they change .

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

What kind of person takes a camera and other associated gear with them running?! And then takes time to "set up" shots? I don't want to see pics of these literal poseurs! That's even less interesting than pics of plates of food people are about to consume.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

But no issues with giving your data to Strava?

https://www.wired.com/story/strava-privacy-settings-how-to/

Not sure I understand the question. I think people should think critically about what kinds of data they share with any any online service, how their data is used etc., and weigh that (among other things) against the value they get from the service.

Runners run

It's just a statement that Strava sells its data the same as Facebook.

Not sure I understand the question. I think people should think critically about what kinds of data they share with any any online service, how their data is used etc., and weigh that (among other things) against the value they get from the service.

xhristopher

I'm sure it's not unlike the 10 year photo challenge. Ten running photos are likely to be over a spread of time, not 10 photos from the same year. These are all ways to collect batches of photos to test facial recognition technology and see how it works at targetting people as they change .

The running photo thing going around doesn't exactly say they need to be photos of there person posting do they?

One could just post 10 of their favorite running photos. For example, something like Meb or Des winning Boston. Those made pretty good photos.

Some good ones on the finish face thread too. The Classic:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Remember the time they gave companies access to users’ private messages? That was...something...

Remember when gmail was introduced and people were scandalized by the thought of Google reading all their email?

And, let's start putting cameras and microphones in our homes.

John Wood

Ok, I think I see a new challenge here. 10 years of running photos while balancing plates  of food. Any takers?