Shorts vs tights (Read 1047 times)

I was wondering what everyone's break even temp is on shorts vs tights (or pants). I found mine to be right around the freezing mark. I was 33 degrees today at 11am, so shorts it is.
    TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

For me it's 40. I like being warm. However when racing, I'll go down to 25 for a 5k, maybe 30 for a long race. I am signed up for the Derry, NH, Boston Prep, on Jan27. One year it was zero or 10. I had tights under running pants. Crai g

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

spacityrunner

I'm a wimp...anything below 50 is break out the tights weather. I have several styles...that go with the temps..lightweight for 40-50, medium weight for 30-40, and heavy for below 30...... Any reason to buy more running stuff I say.... Big grin

Trails Rock!

pfriese

40 degrees for tights. and 50 degrees for gloves and long sleeve tech shirt (my hands get cold easily and I feel stupid wearing gloves with a short sleeve shirt). Paul
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's about 35 or 40 for me, depending on the breeze/wind. I think it depends on where you live and what you're used to. I'm sure folks from Canada will wear tights starting at cooler temps than say folks from Arizona.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

35 degrees equals shorts for me. Below 35 and it's pants.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

I'll be running in tights all winter. I have thicker or thinner tights depending on weather.
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                  ~20-25 degrees.
                  I'm with you Trent. But I lived in Nashville for a few years and NEVER had to bust out the pants. Loved getting lost in Percy Warner Park by the way, my favorite spot I've ever run.

Dog-Love

Loose tights under 30 degrees. Polypro plus loose tights under 18 degrees. Over 30 and not windy I'm fine with shorts or capris
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      tucson boy asks: what are tights? Wink nah. i have some. it was 29f this morning, and with a breeze it was a close call; still ran in shorts. if it had been raining it would have been tights. in good weather maybe below 25f is too cold for shorts.

#artbydmcbride

I knew it got cold in Arizona!! I am a wimp, under 38F and windy and I am in tights or at least capris.

Runners run

Member Since 2008

Shorts 40 degrees or higher Light tights 10 degrees to 40 degrees Winter tights 10 degrees or below.
                            it was 29f this morning, and with a breeze it was a close call; still ran in shorts.
                            ok, the other part of the equation is how fast are you. i think the faster the runner, the more internal heat is generated, and the lower the short/tight threshold is. clearly mc is much faster than i am. or i'm a weenie. you decide.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

0 to -3C, so far... Wink