More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

Cyberic

Joined the club a few times in december, but yesterday it was -35F with the wind (-18F on the thermometer) and ran a slow 5 miles with four layers on.

On new year's day it was 1F (-15F with the wind) and ran 5 slow miles too.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've had my sights on this club since I started the Holiday Streak. Something weird is happening to me and feeling a little "twisted". When planning my run, I now think if, I go a little earlier, or wait until tonight when it's colder, maybe I can joing the More Miles than Temp club. I can't wait to see what my kids think when I tell them I ran 2.11 miles in 2* F.

I'm experiencing this too.  "They" promised 3F this morning, but it was a balmy 8.  Disappointed, didn't make the club.

Technically, if it was -6 this morning and I ran 0 miles, I still ran more miles than degrees.  No?

It was -9F this morning, but I couldn't work up the guts for my 12 miler in that.  It's warmed up to a toasty 8F above now, which should still get me a membership...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Started out at zero degrees and ended at a temp of 5 degrees.  10 mile run on snowshoes.  Took me 3 hours lol.  Now I must eat all the things.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Technically, if it was -6 this morning and I ran 0 miles, I still ran more miles than degrees.  No?

I think somewhere in this thread it says you have to run at least one mile.  Sorry.

SubDood

I resigned my membership from this club last year, but I got sucked back in by a New Year's Day "Polar Dash" in Minneapolis. 14 mile race with temperature at -8 deg F at the start (warming up to a balmy -7 deg F by the time I finished).

This is me after finishing (my face froze into that smile -- I was not at all happy):

frosty mug

Some other guy who only ran the 10K (quite fast, I might add):

ouch

obiebyke

Hey, SubDood! I ran the 10K that day. Yup, it was a little chilly. I'm impressed that you did the whole 14. You were FAST, too! Congratulations.

I've stopped reporting to the thread because I swear I rejoin the club every time I run. Right SubDood? Stupid Minnesota...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Doug-

Joining the club with 7.47 @ 7 degrees. In Yak-trax.  Not as impressive as most here!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Just bought a pair of YakTrax at lunch today.  My marathon tomorrow should get me in the club.  0 degrees predicted at the start.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

JimR

Since it was 0F outside, it was a simple matter of getting out the door.  It was colder earlier in the day, but it was plenty sunny out and no wind when I headed out and pretty cozy.  I actually felt wimpy by waiting until it warmed up to 0 before I went out.

High of -4 Monday, low of -14. If I could somehow get 1 mile in...

Ran 12 miles today.  8F at the start, 10F at the finish.  Actually was too warm for most of it.

Next week, the low on Monday is -20F and the high is -5F, so I should easily rejoin.  Twice.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

-8 this morning.  I ran 3 miles.

Jackie

jjbucker

ran 10 miles in 7 degrees temps this morning in Columbia, MD.