More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

Got in a wimpy 3 miles at 1 degree this morning.  Even my snot was frozen!!!

joescott

11 mi. @ 2 deg.  Hoping to check out of the club for a few days now, if we're lucky around here!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

15 degrees warmer here this morning, a torrid 8F.  I'm out of the club today.

joescott

Wow, we were colder than you were this morning!  It's already warming up here quite fast, but it was only 2F here at 5 AM, 5F by 7AM.

p.s., Looking forward to teens, as weird as that sounds!

- Joe

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Starting temp -11.8 degrees F.

Ending temp -4.0 degrees F.

10 mile run.

One eye frozen shut, but came home with all fingers and toes.  Actually wasn't all that bad, considering.  Gorgeous sunrise.

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

Starting temp -11.8 degrees F.

Ending temp -4.0 degrees F.

10 mile run.

One eye frozen shut, but came home with all fingers and toes.  Actually wasn't all that bad, considering.  Gorgeous sunrise.

Daily winner!  I think we will even give you credit for -12, but appreciate your honesty.

(Never had an eye frozen shut before.  I think it might have freaked me out had it been me.  OTOH, I guess if one was still open you'd be good to go!)

- Joe

Yesterday's run was 6.2 miles.  -10F at the start, -9F at the finish.

Today was about 5 miles.  -8F at the start, -6F at the finish.

I have to say, I'm completely shocked that it's possible to be comfortable in this weather.  The wind was pretty gusty (~15mph, gusts up to 30+).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Daily winner!  I think we will even give you credit for -12, but appreciate your honesty.

(Never had an eye frozen shut before.  I think it might have freaked me out had it been me.  OTOH, I guess if one was still open you'd be good to go!)

I was almost home by the time that happened, so I wasn't worried.  My other eye was totally fine, must have been the way my neck gaiter was funneling my breathe upwards.  Maybe I had it on crooked.

My iPhone turned itself off though.  I had taken a couple sunrise photos, and then texted my husband at the halfway point to let him know I was on my way home and it turned itself off after that.  I had to stick it in my mitten for a mile or so before it warmed up enough to turn back on.  That made me nervous, not being sure if I could get my phone to turn back on.  I run trail and there was no one around if I got into trouble.  But I made it home just fine.

Leah, mother of dogs

Got in 8 miles at 3 degrees.  Seemed balmy compared to yesterday's 0 degrees... strange because 3 degrees shouldn't make that big a difference. Maybe it was the sunshine and less windy.  Like everyone else, hope to be done with this club tomorrow!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Start temp -2.0 degrees F

End temp 6.0 degrees F

10 mile run.  Still had "eyecycles" but I could also feel the difference in temp.  Less wind too.

Leah, mother of dogs

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm in the club.. 6 miles at -3 degrees.  Actually felt pretty good!

ultramarathon/triathlete

So who's "winning" so far?   Who has the most miles with lowest temp (I'd assume it would be something in the negatives).

Some cooooold temps and some hard folks out there, nice work everyone!  I'm happy it's back in the 40s where I am.  I did my cold run and I'm fine keeping everything else above freezing lol.

Keep it up!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

bhearn

So who's "winning" so far?   Who has the most miles with lowest temp (I'd assume it would be something in the negatives).

Depends on how you score, I'd think. Those of us with 100s under our belt have a big advantage if it's miles - degrees.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Good point.

I think there should be two scoring options (not that we need a winner, but whatever).

Overall calculation (degrees and miles) where 10 miles at 9 degrees = 1 point

Overall badassery.  Not sure how that's calculated but maybe a weight is assigned to temps below freezing so the colder you get the more that degree change is worth.  So, -1 degree would give you more points than 10 degrees, then the above calculation could be made.

I mean, it's really more about the intense cold than the long miles in this thread.  The people talking about frozen eyes are killing it in my opinion.  That's hard core running and dedication!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

Intentionally Blank

Last week when it was stupid cold outside, my spouse asked me, "Are you going to join that more miles than sense club?"  Uh, no.