More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

Next time it gets to -18C, which is 0.4 fahrenheit, I'll be sure to get in a half mile run Clowning around and I'm in

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Oregon girl looks on enviously. Sad (I did this only once...18 degrees at the start of a marathon and 29 or so at the finish...that was probably my only chance in the PNW)

A Saucy Wench

So what does one do in an area that's famous for triple-digit temps? And the usual low here in winter is right around freezing? I need to get into ultrarunning! Big grin Arla
        I think in the summer we could have a "110 club" ...if your miles plus degrees F is > 110. Doesn't help us Oregon Gals much but once last summer it was 103 for my scheduled run.....I wimped though. I hadnt had any runs above 70 yet that year. hmmmm I think my coldest run so far this year was 27 degrees.....no marathon length training runs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

still alive

Hmm, Sunday I did 11 miles at -23 °F. I guess I have another 12 to go before I run more miles than the temp? Wink

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Hmm, Sunday I did 11 miles at -23 °F. I guess I have another 12 to go before I run more miles than the temp? Wink
            No, you're in. In fact, you get to be president! Tom

Running on Empty?

Sunday I ran 12 miles in 11 degree weather....brrrrrr Now the temps have warmed back up to a balmy 23 degree's and it's snowing! Gotta love it! Roll eyes
              crazy J 2007 totals: Running 1,327.70mi Walking 270.00mi Hiking 64.00mi Biking 122.00mi

...---...

Are we allowed to figure in wind chill?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Len

Damn Yankee

You are definitely hardcore!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

A Saucy Wench

I bow down and worship. I muttered many obscenities this morning running at a measly 21 degrees. "Hi, my name is Ennay, I live in Oregon and I am a weather WIMP"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

But negative temp would mean that you would miles taken away Confused. I think that if we do this that we need to have a temp scale that is standard, because if we use the Celsius scale Greg (who some might call crazy or hardcore) would need to run 19 more miles, or if we use the Kelvin scale 231 more miles. This is just a suggestion, also what do we do about wind chill. I usually run the planed run if air temp is more than -10F or -23C or 250K.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Lane

In order to clear up the negative number debate, I suggest the Kelvin scale; 0 is placed at absolute 0, the lowest possible temperature (theoretically, there would be no molecular movement). Coversion is easy too! To convert from celsius to Kelvin, you just need to subtract 273 degrees. To convert from Farenheit, just convert to celsius first. -40 Farenheit/Celsius ----> 233 K 32 F/0 C ----> 273 K 212 F/100 C -----> 373 K Good luck getting into the club though! Edit: I should have read the post above more thoroughly...
                          I ran to the car to start it and scrape the ice from the windows. It was -9 F. I'm in but feel like a cheat.
                          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm a wimp. I took a vacation to Southern Utah over Christmas and I went out for a run in Bryce Canyon and it was frickin 8 deg F! I went about 1 mile and said 'Scruthat' and turned around for some real clothing and hiking!
                            That's actually harder than doing it every day. You really do adapt to the cold. At this point in the winter, 8 degrees is pretty tolerable, and 20 just feels normal. 40 feels like a heat wave. Smile
                            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            runninginmemphis

Ran my first 25k trail race this past weekend...12 degrees at the start and the race measured 16.2 miles. Finished with icicles in my hair! The odd thing is that I'm in Memphis and this was without a doubt the coldest day we've had around here!
                              Laura
                              evtish

Didn't do it today....but I did run outside in only shorts and a sleeveless summer dri-fit shirt for about 2.5 miles and it was around 30-35F. I was going to run on the TM in the gym but convinced myself I need more road time and would HTFU. I heated up for 10 min on the TM, then went into the frozen tundra. Didn't time myself, but I felt like I was running much faster and lighter than normal, and I built up a good sweat. Just read Programmed to Run last night and wanted to practice the breathing techniques - they seem to work pretty good - a noticeable difference. Tom