More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Joined the club today -- 11 miles in 9 degrees (3 at the start with wind chills of -13 to -3) on snow-covered roads.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

7 > 4.

Coyote hunter out on a 5 deg. morning is a hardcore dude!  I'd much rather be *moving*, i.e., running, if I'm outside on a 5 degree morning than sitting still with a rifle freezing my arse off!

These guys hunt from their trucks mostly.  They use dogs to flush the coyotes out, then use radio collars to track the dogs.  The guy I saw was walking with a dog back to his truck.  I didn't even see a gun on him.

No one out there in the woods but me today, 10 miles, starting temp -0.6, ending temp 5.7 degrees.

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

Ahh.. I see.  In my one experience with coyote hunting it involved setting up an electronic call and getting hid and sitting in the cold.  Hunting from the truck would seem much more comfortable.... although illegal here.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thirty degrees colder this morning than yesterday.  6.5 miles at -4F.

joescott

7 miles @ 2 deg.  Not quite a brutal as Lincoln, but close!

- Joe

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Start temp was 1.6 degrees, ending temp 7.0, and I did 10 miles.  I saw my first sun dog, which was pretty neat.

Leah, mother of dogs

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

From a Competitor.com article on running in the cold:

Castellani says a base layer of silk or synthetics should be covered by an insulating layer of fleece, synthetics or wool, and then topped with an outer wind-breaking layer if necessary. Mittens are typically better than gloves and it’s important to keep your feet dry as well. Many runners also use facemasks, hats or baklavas in the extreme cold.

So, that's what I've been missing to keep warm:

anyone else using Baklavas to keep warm?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

From a Competitor.com article on running in the cold:

Castellani says a base layer of silk or synthetics should be covered by an insulating layer of fleece, synthetics or wool, and then topped with an outer wind-breaking layer if necessary. Mittens are typically better than gloves and it’s important to keep your feet dry as well. Many runners also use facemasks, hats or baklavas in the extreme cold.

So, that's what I've been missing to keep warm:

That sure looks tastier than Gu!  Glad the article didn't say to cover one's head with it!

Jeff F

Free Beer

It was -3 this morning and I ran 0 miles so I guess I am in the club...

Running Chick

northeast cold snap that seems to be lasting way longer than normal.  at least that's how it feels.  ran 12 miles today, it was 10 degrees this morning with a 'feels like -11'............  tears turned to ice on my face instantly.  but, how'd i do in the degrees club?  lol.

joescott

No, but for Competitor it seems like excellent advice!

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It was -3 this morning and I ran 0 miles so I guess I am in the club...

You need to read the fine print.

Any barefooters in the club?

Get off my porch

I'm in.  5 miles at 2 degrees!!!  Awesome run!!!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

From minus 3 degrees to plus 3 degrees, 10 mile run.

Does anyone else lose weight during these cold snaps?  This is the third cycle of bitter temps, and each time I lose four or five pounds over the course of a week.  I didn't know if it was dehydration or just burning more calories trying to stay warm.

Leah, mother of dogs