More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

-2 degrees right now... ran 6 miles (but i was on a treadmill)

Where the heck is your treadmill that it's -2?  You didn't cheat now, did you?

spinach

Up here in Minnesota I was going to run in the fieldhouse at my college this morning before my class today, but they cancelled school because it was too cold.  What sense does that make?  College kids should be smart enough not to stay outside in the cold but we know some of them aren't.  So if we cancel classes what will the students do, go out and play in the cold.

I guess that is what some professors do also since during the hour my class was cancelled I went out into the -14° F Minnesota winter and ran 5 miles.  Only a product of -70 but I am still taking it easy after a marathon two weeks ago.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Minus 6 degrees at start, minus 3 when I finished 10 miles.  Ran on snowshoes and it almost broke me lol.  I bonked big time.  Thank goodness it was a little easier on the return trip, although I would have still been tempted to collapse on a snow bank and cry except that the tears would have frozen on my face. 

Now please, please can it not be windy overnight have the snow blow back into my trail?

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Whoa, I can't imagine running 10 miles in snowshoes.  You're made of tougher stuff than I!

If I had snow and snowshoes, I might try running shuffling a mile.

joescott

You're made of tougher stuff than I!

Yeah... I think I'm getting the picture that she is a seriously tough gal.

On nice, clear sidewalk I had 13 miles today at 2 F.  But I really hope that I get outta this club for a while.....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Joann Y

In Miami this week for a conference, so it looks like there is no chaaance I'm going to make the club this week.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In Miami this week for a conference, so it looks like there is no chaaance I'm going to make the club this week.

Not doing any ultras this week?

joescott

incidentally, I got to thinkin' and wonderin' if this must be the coldest winter around here that I've ever trained through.  I did a search through my training log and found that so far in 2014 I already have 7 runs < 10 F.  The next closest year was 2010 when I had only 3 such.

MTA:  With more careful accounting for Decembers of previous years (which throws in our cold Christmas Eve for this year) I get:

Winter 2013-2014:  8 runs less than 10 deg F

Winter 2009-2010:  4 runs less than 10 deg F

all the rest less than this....

(Not impressive to you folks in Wisconsin, I know.  )

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Winter 2012-2013: 10

Winter 2013-2014: 17

Prior to that, I was evidently a wuss and used the treadmill.  I started streaking in November of 2012, so that also has a lot to do with it.

Aidan Livingston

Don't you think we should standardize this club by only measuring temperature in kelvin and not using Celsius it Fahrenheit?

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I'm not that tough, didn't you read the part where I said I wanted to cry??  I will admit to walking two of the hills.  And I almost fell a few times.  I am really hoping it is easier tomorrow.  I need to get my money's worth out of these snowshoes.

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

Don't you think we should standardize this club by only measuring temperature in kelvin and not using Celsius it Fahrenheit?

More miles than Kelvins would make this an exclusive club to be sure!

OTOH, more miles that degrees Celsius would just let in all the riff-raff from Texas and Florida.

- Joe

I am not as tough as some of you, but I did run 4 miles in -5 this morning.

Jackie

joescott

I am not as tough as some of you, but I did run 4 miles in -5 this morning.

Yes, you are!

- Joe

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Ten miles on snow shoes again, finished up it was -1, had started out at -7.  It was so much easier today.  Having a broken trail makes as much difference as having a tailwind versus a headwind.

Leah, mother of dogs