More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

10 miles, -3 F.  And a nice 13 mph N wind as a bonus.  (Not sure where that would put the windchill).  Thankfully, this frigidity is supposed to pull out of my area pretty fast.

I generally ignore the hysteria behind "wind chill", but when running it is worth keeping in mind.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SubDood

Arrowhead 135 is this week in International Falls in case anyone needs inspiration.

This IS inspiring. 135 miles in frigid conditions near the Minnesota/Canada border the last 3 days (I believe windchill temps approached -60F at some point during the event). 11 runners finished so far. The winners (there appears to be a tie for 1st) ran it in just over 36 hours. The most recent finishers took over 56 hours. There were over 50 DNFs. 2 people are presumably still on the course running. (There are also bike and ski divisions.)

I ran to the curb to take out my trash this morning in -50F windchill (-29F air temp) and thought I was going to die.

Kalsarikännit

Does that really work? Saw it on Youtube and only half believed it.

Fully believe it.  It just poofs up into the air.  I used a full sauce pot of water this morning.

I’d go outside right now and video it, except I’m worried that if I took my mittens off to hit buttons on the phone, my fingers might freeze and snap off.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

Fully believe it.  It just poofs up into the air.  I used a full sauce pot of water this morning.

I’d go outside right now and video it, except I’m worried that if I took my mittens off to hit buttons on the phone, my fingers might freeze and snap off.

I just saw a video of someone doing this on the news.  Pretty cool.  I’m thinking that doing something dumb like this would be one of the few reasons that I would venture out in that kind of cold.

Not at it at all. 

Christirei

finally earned my memmbership for the year, nothing like everyone who actually lives up north, but i got in almost eight miles this morning in four degrees real temp with -14 wind chill

i was cold the whole time, i don't own the right kind of layers

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm finally in too, barely.  7 miles in 6 degrees.  It helped that the wind calmed to 15 mph and there was bright sunshine.  I was actually a bit over dressed and am now a little dehydrated from sweating so much.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Six miles at minus 23 deg F.  Weather was nice and sunny with a light breeze.  The ice balls on my eyelashes were pulling my eyelids shut by the time I got back.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I wimped out of the “colder than Antarctica” weather yesterday but got 6 mi with -3F today.  Oh well maybe 30 yrs from now I will get a second chance...

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

joescott

Six miles at minus 23 deg F.  Weather was nice and sunny with a light breeze.  The ice balls on my eyelashes were pulling my eyelids shut by the time I got back.

STUD!  I like the "with a light breeze" comment.  Almost gives me the sense of an April afternoon.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Improved my first attempt. Today 8.2 miles at somewhere in the zero to minus 4 degree range. No wind made it seem pretty nice. Going to be near 50 Sunday and Monday!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

STUD!  I like the "with a light breeze" comment.  Almost gives me the sense of an April afternoon.

Smile

So far this year, I have avoided the eyelash-cicles, thankfully.

T Hound

Slower but happier

yesterday, 28 degrees at start of 50K, but finished at 37 degrees, oh well, almost...

T Hound

Slower but happier

-20 with -51 real feel. Does sitting on my ass count?

hell yeah, unless you have a hut around your hole, that's cheating

Joann Y

hell yeah, unless you have a hut around your hole, that's cheating

Pizza hut in my mouth hole. Does that count?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

50k yesterday. Starting temp was 28.

Did eventually get up to 45. Does that count?

yesterday, 28 degrees at start of 50K, but finished at 37 degrees, oh well, almost...

You copying me?