Running fast in training ? (Read 907 times)

evtish

OK, I'm a relatively new runner, but I can't grasp this running slow and easy concept. I want to run fast at the front of the pack, and it seems to me the only way I can get my body adapted to running fast is to actually run fast, and run fast often, maybe at least 2-3 times/wk. I know there is increased risk of injury when training this hard, but it seems that plodding along for 50 miles/wk at a slow pace can pound on your body too. So, for this year I really only want to run up to 10k's max distance, with >80% of races being 5k's. How many miles do I really need to run to gain endurance to do this? Is ~30 miles/wk with one long run of 8-10 miles/wk good enough? Am I better off doing mostly speedwork for the rest of the week in order to get faster? I want to be running 6 mm by the Fall and run a mile in 5:15ish. Current best pace is 6:52 for a 6k in Feb. with 5 mo running with 2 2-3wk breaks, 1 for injury and 1 for flu. Any suggested training schedules?? FYI, I've never run competitively, no CC or track in HS, so I don't know how fast I could run a mile when I was younger.
      I've found, for myself, that 1 interval session and 1 tempo run with mostly distance is best to add speed, even down to the 1500m. I train more for speed than distance races (my serious racing tops out at 5 miles) and I didn't start running until my mid-20's. Really, it is the more the better until you're training a lot more than you (or me at the moment) are. My best period of running was after a winter running 60-90km/week, one track workout per week (with plenty of warm-up and cool-down running at easy pace), one 20km+ long run per week, 2 more of 16.5km (I have a nice 10mile loop), and after a bit of that I started adding tempo work. I dropped at least 30 seconds off my 1500m time in 6 months. (guessing because it had been a while since I'd done one.... like 10 years before in gym class)
      Tremont

Yes, running fast can help you run faster but it probably isn't as much help as you think and you don't have to do that much of it to get all the help it's going to give you. You get most of the benefit (i.e. speed) from running in general at any pace (within reason) and since running fast puts you at increased risk from injury (and over-training), almost all training plans have you do the bulk of your running at an easier and safer pace and then add the minimum amount of faster pace as needed.
        Scout7

As anecdotal evidence, I ran my fastest 5k in the midst of marathon training.
            I ran my fastest 5k a week after running my first marathon. Confused

Michelle

mikeymike

Running fast also can make you slower. That's right, it's not just about risk of injury. It turns out the best way to get faster at running distances is to run a lot of mileage. Too much fast running on too small a base of easy running can actually make you slower. It's true. We're kind of wasting our breath here because if you're like most new runners you'll either figure this out on your own or you'll wash out of the sport within a year. If you look at elite runners, their 5k and marathon training does not differ that much. At least not nearly as much as regular people's. More than 95% of the energy used to race a 5k is aerobic. Build the biggest aerobic base you can by running mileage. Run as much easy mileage as you can handle and fit into your life. Only push the pace 2x a week. As for how much mileage is "enough" to accomplish your goals, nobody can tell you that or if your goals are even attainable. You have to find that out the hard way.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Whether you're running the mile or the marathon, the same holds true for both -- speedwork is the icing on the cake. But you need to focus on the cake first -- base mileage. In HS, my X-country coach gave me a training program for the winter to get me ready for track in the spring (where I was racing "short" distances of 800m~3200m). I remember glancing through it and saying, "where are the speed workouts?" Then I noticed a note at the top that said, "No speedwork until you reach 40~45 miles per week." Now, the number may vary from person to person, but the thinking still applies -- build up those miles. Even though I was training for relatively short races, my coach knew better than I did that lots of easy miles would make me a lot faster than low miles with speed workouts.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

I feel your pain. Running fast is fun. But I've learned that by not feeding it every day, the hunger for speed will only grow. Keep the angry beast in its cage; let it pace, whine, and moan through the bars of all those easy miles. You can trot the beast out of its the cage occasionally so its spirit doesn't totally die, but don't let it off the leash. Cultivate the need for speed through tactics of deprivation. The beast must be disciplined; its wildness honed to a thin edge. And let it feast on race day.
                    Your misconception about training is shared by many beginning runners. A well balanced training program should consist of workouts intended to develop: (1) Aerobic conditioning - developed through running in the general aerobic zone, which is at a "comfortable" pace which enables you to hold a conversation using complete sentences. Heart rate should be 60-80% of HRmax. (2) Lactate threshold (LT) - developed by running 20-30 minutes at LT pace, which is the pace that you can sustain under race conditions for about an hour, or a "comfirtably hard" pace that permits conversing in phrases but not complete sentences. Heart rate should be in the trange of 85-90% of HRmax. (3) Aerobic capacity - developed by running 3-5 minute intervals at VO2max pace, which is about 3-5k race pace, with equal recovery time while jogging. Heart rate should be 95-98% HRmax. (4) Anaerobic capacity - developed by short intervals (50-200 meters) at a pace faster than VO2max with full recovery between them (up to 5-6 times interval time). Heart rate should be 100% HRmax. At least 75-80% of weekly mileage should be in the aerobic conditioning range (category 1 above). Experienced runners may devote up to 25% of their mileage to a combination of categories 2, 3 and 4 with the mix changing as a function of the race distance for which one is training. Many fresh-off-the-couch beginning runners should devote an even higher percentage of their mileage (up to 100%) in category 1 (aerobic conditioning) for at least several months to develop muscular and skeletal conditioning before attempting the more stressfull categories. Otherwise, the risk of injury to muscles, tendons and bones is increased. Other than to minimize the risk of injury, another reason "easy" aerobic conditioning training is important is that, except for sprints, all running is mostly aerobic. A marathon is 99% aerobic. A 10k race is 97% aerobic. A 5k race is 93% aerobic. Even a 1-mile race is somewhere between 70-90% aerobic. The better developed one's aerobic base or "engine", the faster the pace can be sustained for a given distance or the longer a given pace can be sustained. Unlike in sprint events, being able to maintain a pace is more important in long distance racing than is raw speed. That's the reason so many runners experience very fast 5-10k racing shortly after a high aerobic mileage marathon program, as a couple of other posters mentioned. (For my similar exxperiences, see http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id99.html.) To respond to your specific questions....you should continue to gradually build your mileage base (as high as 40-50 mpw) over the next few months with most (80%) of it in the aerobic conditioning zone (category 1) and 20% mostly in the LT and VO2max areas (categories 2 and 3). It sounds like you are serious about this and, based on your 6k last month, are starting at a relatively "advanced" level. If you want to train optimally to try to reach your goals, I suggest that you become a student of the sport by buying a good book to guide you. A couple of excellent books for this purpose are "Daniels' Running Formula" by Jack Daniels and "The Competitive Runner's handbook" by Bob Glover. Better yet, get both....they complement each other nicely.
                    mikeymike

I feel your pain. Running fast is fun. But I've learned that by not feeding it every day, the hunger for speed will only grow. Keep the angry beast in its cage; let it pace, whine, and moan through the bars of all those easy miles. You can trot the beast out of its the cage occasionally so its spirit doesn't totally die, but don't let it off the leash. Cultivate the need for speed through tactics of deprivation. The beast must be disciplined; its wildness honed to a thin edge. And let it feast on race day.
                      By the way, Jeff, what are you tapering for?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

By the way, Jeff, what are you tapering for?
                        Ouch.

Prince of Fatness

I've been running a HM in late April for the last few years and this year I decided to try something different. In years past I would cut back on my weekly mileage during the winter months. This year I haven't done that. I spent November through January running 35 MPW with ~12 on the weekend (I used to cut back to the low to mid 20s). I ran everything easy, which for me is about 9:20 or so per mile. No speed work at all. In early February I entered a 10K just to see where I was. I ended up running a 45:20 (7:18 per mile). I thought I would do well but this result exceeded my expectations. Since the 10K I have increased my weekly mileage to the low 40's, and just last week I added a midweek tempo run as my only speed work. I'll follow that schedule until a week before the HM. I am hoping to break 1:40. There's no reason that I shouldn't at least come close. From this personal experience I am inclined to believe that a consistent mileage base will give me the most bang for the buck as far as bringing times my down, and the speed work will help squeeze those last few seconds off.

Not at it at all. 

OP is not my question, but I like reading these for the advice.
                            (3) Aerobic capacity - developed by running 3-5 minute intervals at VO2max pace, which is about 3-5k race pace, with equal recovery time while jogging. Heart rate should be 95-98% HRmax.
                            Is this (3-5) X 1 minute intervals, or is this n repeats of intervals lasting 3-5 minutes?
                            Brandon

The Greatest of All Time

Many fresh-off-the-couch beginning runners should devote an even higher percentage of their mileage (up to 100%) in category 1 (aerobic conditioning) for at least several months to develop muscular and skeletal conditioning before attempting the more stressfull categories.
                              I would extend that to a year myself. When I started serious distance running I did no speed work, hills, or whatever for the first year and still ran a 3:10 marathon 10 months after I started running. Started running in January, marathon in October. I did one long run and five other runs during the week that were of distances of 6-9 miles. It was very simple. In fact that summer I ran my first 5K and made it in 17:50. That was on ZERO speedwork. I just got faster as my fitness increased and my aerobic base got bigger and bigger. I was 25 at the time.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                                As anecdotal evidence, I ran my fastest 5k in the midst of marathon training.
                                Ditto to what he said - except it was a 10K for me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?