Wieght-Loss Features (Read 913 times)

va

Hi Eric Smile: As you know, many people run to lose weight. The RA user group, the Jiggly Joggers, is getting quite popular, with nearly 100 members. I think if there were some additional capabilities related to weight-loss, you could attract a lot of new people to the site and to running. Many of these capabilities would parallel existing RA capabilities (weight is really just another statistic, like miles or pace). One needed capability, is the ability to enter a weight entry, on a non running day. For example, the Jiggly Joggers have a weigh-in every Monday, but many people take Monday as a rest day. This would allow graphs to be created based on weekly weigh-in data. Also, we started a 5% Spring Challenge to see who could lose 5% of their weight in the Spring. I have been manually keeping track of people’s weekly weigh-in numbers and challenge targets. See http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm. Note that this is very similar to the mileage groups, but the focus is on pounds lost, not miles accumulated. Also, the interval here, is a season (i.e., Spring), rather than an entire year. Also, note, I have the concept of a “Pace Jiggler” which will lose exactly the challenge weight over the challenge interval, so you can see how you’re doing relative to him. This brings up the notion of generic challenge groups or clubs (like the existing mileage clubs), with user defined durations (e.g., a year, a season, a month, …), and user defined tracking statistics (e.g., miles accumulated, pounds lost, …), and user defined logging intervals (e.g., day, week, …). Note that since weight varies from day to day, we weigh in every week, rather than every day. Which brings me to another idea – that is, the ability to apply mathematical operations to the data, like trend lines, or moving averages… These are just some ideas. I'm sure there are plenty others... Thanks for listening,
    eric :)

Stephen, You brought up some really interesting ideas. To answer the record weight on a non-running day question, you can create a health note entry to record the weight. It's stored in the same location as the weight in run entries. When I update the graphing code, it'll graph the weights independent of workouts. I'll think more about what you said about generic challenge groups because that will make my life easier. If you want to create a set of requirements for it, or come up with a design, that would really help me out. I spend probably 50 - 75% of the time on coming up with layout and defining its behavior. The actual coding is really quick. eric Smile
      va

Eric, yes, I can help with the requirements and design. I 'll get back to you when I have something...

Burninated Peasant

va123, Not sure if you're still thinking of working on this, but if you are, are you planning on asking for a calorie input field for non-running activities? -Michael
          va

Hi Michael, Are you referring to the Running Weight-Loss calculator? I'm confused because this thread is not about the calculator, but other weight-loss related capabilities I was suggesting.

Burninated Peasant

Hmmm. I guess I thought that your original request was to allow input of additional weight-loss related fields on the run/cycle/event/etc. entry forms. I was curious if this would include calorie counts for the non-running activities, since those don't seem to currently have that functionality.
              va

OK, I understand. I did give Eric some input on a generic challenge capability, but this has been the extent of my contribution in this area. I'll let Eric comment on whether calories can be introduced as a attribute on non running entries.
                va

Hi Eric Smile: I don't recall if this has ever been suggested before...the feature is "Calorie Deficit Tracking". There are many people who, in order to lose weight, count the calories they eat and the calories they burn, to ensure they are creating a calorie deficit. I am one of those people. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my daily calorie defict, but RA could easily do this for me. It's a simple matter to estimate how many caloires someone burns outside of exercise, you already estimate the calories burned by running, and with a new atrribute for calories burned during non-running activiities (Michael's suggetion), and a new "calories eaten" attribute, you would have everything you need to determine a daily calorie deficit. Also, once you have the ability to calculate a calorie deficit, you can then estimate how much weight you should be losing and be able compare your actual versus your predicted weight. This makes a real nice graph which reinforces the link between weight loss results and calorie deficits. Regards,