Why run races? (Read 1215 times)

I've been knocking this question around for a while. I ran a 5K last year and because it was such a small event, I got a colored ribbon (4th in my age group). I ran it to give my dad (one of my biggest cheerleaders) something to look forward to during his stroke recovery. It totally jazzed him that I was running a race. For me, not such a big deal. I keep thinking about training for the local HM, but I just don't know. What makes it special to ya'll?
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Racing makes me log more miles . It forces me to train on days I really would rather be a couch potato.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

Large quantities of hot women in a small space. This is a serious response.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Half Fanatic #846

I was intimidated until I actually ran a couple of races. What fun!! Now I look forward to them months in advance!! Big grin And, in the small races around here, even slow people like me can get an age group award once in awhile. The Half Marathon finisher's medals I have aren't bad either! Plus, runners are really friendly! Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mikeymike

A well run race is about the biggest rush I've ever experienced. Even a badly run race is cathartic in it's own way, and good training.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Have a look at this. This is why. Still gives me chills.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulua1gT_WMc&NR=1

Not at it at all. 

Flat footer

Have a look at this. This is why. Still gives me chills.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulua1gT_WMc&NR=1
                It makes me laugh Big grin
                Roses Revenge

Bragging rights. Knowing I'm going to a high school reunion with a record that most of my former class mates could never dream of. Most of the old jocks have gone to seed and I don't think any of them are stil running. We didn't have any jockettes because we came along before Title 9.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Carps10

I like to run fast and I like to compete. Why not combine the two?
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It makes me laugh Big grin
                      Me too...D'oh! /homer I race for the reasons Clay stated above, as well as the opportunity to meet other runners. By and large the running community is filled with some amazing, inspirational, strong people. Great folks to rub elbows with.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

urbywann

I have run for over 40 years raced my fool tail off in High School ,College and the years after college. Every distance from the 400 meters to a marathon. Ran 50.9 for 440 yards in High School and ran a 2:57.7 marathon at age 22. Then decided to just run miles and miles and miles everyday of every year as I went through my 30s 40s and then when I turned 52 decided to race again. Ran 22:55 in 90 degree heat for a 5K a few weeks back Still running upwards of 70 miles a week. I might race again later this year or I might not.
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've only done one race so far. For me, it was a chance to compete against other runners, to see what I could do on a properly measured/timed course, an extra push on days when it was harder to get out the door to run and it's a lot of fun. I'm going to race again, probably in late Sept. For me, it was the logical next step to race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Get introduced to new trails. Have logistics for point-to-point races.
                            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Member Since 2008

Competition, adrenaline.