What's for Thanksgiving at your house? (Read 556 times)

Just curious what you all are serving. We'll have 12 people here. We're having: a smoked turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli rice casserole, layered salad, cranberry sauce, fruit salad, rolls, and MIL's enchiladas (might sound strange, but it's tradition). Also various pies and desserts, including rum cake, of course!
    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wouldn't mind being a guest at your Thanksgiving! Smile

That said, for a number of years, we have had this Latino Thanksgiving menu.  Roasted turkey with chorizo-cornbread stuffing, cranberry-almond poundcake, and cranberry mojo (which our daughter renamed as "cranberry chop-chop- good stuff."

I wouldn't mind being a guest at your Thanksgiving! Smile

That said, for a number of years, we have had this Latino Thanksgiving menu.  Roasted turkey with chorizo-cornbread stuffing, cranberry-almond poundcake, and cranberry mojo (which our daughter renamed as "cranberry chop-chop- good stuff."

That menu sounds wonderful! I did go against tradition a couple of years ago with a jalapeƱo cheddar dressing. Good stuff.

jules2

What's Thanksgiving? Is it connected with Diwali as I know my neighbor celebrating that at this very moment 

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanksgiving is at my in-laws so I will have lots of wine. And beer. And likely some scotch.

Feeling the growl again

Typically we fry our turkey, have beans/mashed potatoes from the garden, and I try to throw in something unique like elk/mule deer/antelope depending on what is available that year.

This year, we will be in Cancun that week.  So I have no idea.  Probably a six pack of Corona.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hernia repair surgery on the day before for me. So, I will be having soup and Percocet this year.
                WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

When it's just the wife and kids we like to go out to eat for Thanksgiving. It's a nice break for my wife who is an excellent cook, but it's not her favorite thing to do. We went to Ted's Montana Grill last year. The bison delmonico ribeye is very tasty. My mother will be in town this year and we'll probably do Ted's again.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Wife makes a turkey and also a ham, love the glaze she makes for it. Picked up a case of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale this weekend, me and my brother in law will have a few after dinner IPA's.

We normally have a massive southern spread. The calorie calculator apps don't have enough digits to track the meal, but it is delicious. Basted turkey, fried turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, fried corn, green beans, cranberry relish, greens, butternut squash, stuffing, gravy, cornbread, yeast rolls, chocolate pie, pumpkin pie and a great big glass of sweet tea.

This year I am going to my in-laws in California. I am sure it will be great and it will be much healthier, but I hope there are some southern leftovers when I get home.

--

Nashville, TN

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We normally have a massive southern spread. The calorie calculator apps don't have enough digits to track the meal, but it is delicious. Basted turkey, fried turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, fried corn, green beans, cranberry relish, greens, butternut squash, stuffing, gravy, cornbread, yeast rolls, chocolate pie, pumpkin pie and a great big glass of sweet tea.

This year I am going to my in-laws in California. I am sure it will be great and it will be much healthier, but I hope there are some southern leftovers when I get home.

California, eh?  Expect your feast to look like this:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Years ago we had Thanksgiving at my DH's aunt and uncle's place.  They are still brainwashed into thinking that fat is evil.  So they DUMPED THE DRIPPINGS DOWN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL and made gravy with fat free broth from a box and cornstarch.  I wanted to hurl.

This year DH and DS and I are are doing a quiet T-day at home, so we won't have a huge spread, because we don't need leftovers for a big crowd and they are both super picky eaters.  I love stuffing, but they don't and I don't NEED to have it.  For sure we'll have turkey, gravy, and mashed redskin 'taters (with skins left on and lumpy...mmmm...).  Will probably do some simple cranberry relish (another thing those idiots don't eat...how did I fail so badly in my selection of mate and child?!) and green beans or other veggie.  Maybe an apple crisp for dessert (DH is the only one who loves pumpkin pie...I like other pumpkin concoctions, just not pie).  Mostly it's about having turkey leftovers for a massive pot of turkey/veggie/wild rice soup.  I love having containers of that in the freezer for a couple of months.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Back home in Michigan, where I'll be heading, there is usually honey-baked ham, a few turkeys, yams, three kinds of stuffing, cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie, apple pie, strawberry pie, a ton of other assorted desserts, yeast rolls, biscuits, and a huge amount of other stuff I'm forgetting.  ~30-40+ extended family members descend for it, so chaos and overindulgence ensue on a high level.

The number of kids under ten is rapidly growing in our extended family, too, which adds to the madness.

Come this weekend, the lady and I will be having "our Thanksgiving."  It'll be simpler, quieter, and involve more wine.  I will, however, be making a whole turkey entirely on principle, and should probably invite some more people.  Obviously, I am a planner.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Best Present Ever

I'm going to have the best Thanksgiving ever -- I'm on call in the ED and my SIL who lives about 90 minutes away is hosting.  Sadly (not!) I won't be able to join them -- I get to stay home and eat turkey soup in my nice quiet house.  My eldest son (26) decided that sounded so nice he too arranged to work  on Thanksgiving morning.  So I'll go for a run in the morning, spend a few hours working at our local women's shelter, and then the two of us will stay home (quietly) and lay about read books the rest of the day.  My husband is insanely jealous and trying to figure out how he could arrange to send the (LOUD) little kids to his sister's where his LOUD siblings and LOUD mother and all their LOUD friends will be.  He however is a prosecutor and since court will be closed, he is having trouble finding a suitable excuse to stay home in the quiet and eat lovely soup.  (He's making the turkeys -- one a day early will be partially sacrificed for our soup, the other will be made at the SILs).  

I think I run mostly because it's a quiet activity.  

Just out of interest what are you Leftpondians giving thanks for on Thanksgiving?