My Fall Marathon. (Read 1276 times)

Nov. 1, 2008, the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is the goal. Time goal - hopefully <3:45, but="" we'll="" see.="" just="" to="" beat="" 3:57:50="" would="" be="" amazing="" enough.="" training="" plan="" -="" that's="" where="" you="" come="" to="" help="" me.="" i="" have="" narrowed="" it="" down="" to="" with="" pfitz's="" 55="" mile="" week,="" or="" the="" new="" york="" marathon="" advanced="" marathoner="" a="" plan.="" pfitz="" found=""></3:45,>http://www.roadtoboston.com/djapps/trainingPlans/genPDF/5/displayStartDay/1/planStartDay/1/Miles/schedule.pdf NYC found here: http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/training/scheduleadva_print.php My question: is there any recommendation as to which one would be better? Looking at my log, it doesn't look like I have ran a lot lately, which I guess is true, but life was busy in the middle of June with moving and getting settled into a new job. Regardless, I'm in good enough shape to run 6 days a week. Thus, again, my question is, what should I choose? Thanks Ryan
      I don't like either of the plans. One has its longest run at 20 miles, I feel you should at least be slow running the distance once. The other has you running 20 miles in your 3rd or 4th week If I remember correctly, crap if you can run 20 miles in your 3rd week you don't need the training program. I have similar goals to yourself hoping to run under 4 hrs be ecstatic with under 3:45. Here is the plan I'm following, notice how it builds the long run and the long run goes beyond 26 miles. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/129.shtml

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I agree that going the full distance in training can help you somewhat from a mental point of view - I do not agree that it is worth the extended recovery time when talking about the marathon distance. FWIW - my longest run while training for my second marathon was 22 miles. Using the 12 week/55 mpw Pfitz plan was good for a 46 minute PR compared to my first marathon only 4 months before. While I have to give the Pfitz plan some of the credit - looking back - I have to give more of the credit to just continuing to run and running more miles. I don't know enough details about the NYC plan to compare it - so I won't try. Run more. Lots of it easy. Sometime run long, sometimes run fast. The exact way you mix these does not matter as much as we like to think.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I am leaning toward the Pfitz, but maybe picking up a couple of smaller slow runs a week as recovery runs to keep the blood flowing.
            notice how it builds the long run and the long run goes beyond 26 miles.
            I have never gone beyond the marathon distance. That jacks with your body enough where you shouldn't run for a week. 21 is the farthest I have gone and PR'ed by 20 minutes last time. The Pfitz is what I have heard the most about so I am thinking about going with it.
              I am leaning toward the Pfitz, but maybe picking up a couple of smaller slow runs a week as recovery runs to keep the blood flowing.
              The 55mpw Pfitz plan already has quite a few recovery runs built into the plan. Make sure you run them as recovery runs. It's real easy to run the recoveries too fast - especially in the beginning.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Ah, I've learned to appreciate heading out on a run at a 9:15 pace these days, knowing that when I get back there is an ice bath built for me. Any extra run created would be done at recovery pace as I know this is one sure fire way not to get hurt. Of course, my other option is to listen to my body, so on my days off, if the body is a-aching, I'll sleep or watch Criminal Minds or something.
                  I followed Pfitz's 18/55 plan for Mississauga in Apr/08 and am at the end of week 5 for my fall marathon. I like it. Mind you, I modify as I see fit. A bit more on one day, a bit less on another. A race here or there. I use it more as a guide than a set of instructions. Seems to work, for me. And, I don't have the time for much more mileage than it provides.
                    Yeah, Ive pretty much settled on Pfitz, but any ideas on speedwork to incorporate into my training? Tempo runs, fartleks, etc? How would I work those in? Also, it seems that the Pfitz program has interval training in it, is that just at marathon pace? Just trying to figure this out quickly.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nov. 1, 2008, the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is the goal. Thanks Ryan
                      I think I am running the same Marathon...I live in Muncie, as I see you live in New Castle. The only thing that makes me nervous about this Marathon, is the fiasco last year with the Indy Classic Marathon that was postponed, then cancelled with around 14,000 registered...I was one of those Angry Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Yeah, Ive pretty much settled on Pfitz, but any ideas on speedwork to incorporate into my training? Tempo runs, fartleks, etc? How would I work those in? Also, it seems that the Pfitz program has interval training in it, is that just at marathon pace? Just trying to figure this out quickly.
                        Pfitz works speed work into his plan. If you want super detailed information on how he does his training, pick up his book Advanced Marathoning. It breaks it all down in there, plus it's an excellent book.
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                          Another fan of the Pfitz plan ... the NYC plan looked to "blah" 3 runs of 8 miles for about 5 weeks in a row for mid-week runs ... uggh. Pftiz recommends interval work at 5k pace and tempo runs at 15k-half pace. Not sure if they were listed in the link you had, but as previous poster mentioned the details are in Advanced Marathoning. Highly recommended ... more for the details about why you run the various runs than for the training plans/guides. Good luck
                            I think I am running the same Marathon...I live in Muncie, as I see you live in New Castle. The only thing that makes me nervous about this Marathon, is the fiasco last year with the Indy Classic Marathon that was postponed, then cancelled with around 14,000 registered...I was one of those Angry Tim
                            From what I understand, this is not the same marathon. This is being put on by a completely different group. That's what I have been told. Yeah, I like New Castle. Just moved here about 4-5 weeks ago. I've yet to go to Muncie, but I keep checking out for races up there. Are you planning on using the Muncie Half as a training run?
                              No worries, the IMM is actually being hosted by a professional running company with lots of experience. There should be no fiascos!
                              Team Cross Runs more than just a running blog!

Marathon Maniac #3309

From what I understand, this is not the same marathon. This is being put on by a completely different group. That's what I have been told. Yeah, I like New Castle. Just moved here about 4-5 weeks ago. I've yet to go to Muncie, but I keep checking out for races up there. Are you planning on using the Muncie Half as a training run?
                                That's wierd...I live in Muncie but do not know of a Muncie 1/2 M. The Y here used to have one every Fall, but they quit that a few years back. Is the one you are talking about part of the Cardinal Greenway races series? Let me know if you have more information...I would definitely run it and maybe we could meet. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!