First 1 Mile Race (Read 680 times)

Bugs

Ran Twin Cities Medtronic 1 mile tonight because 400 of the 2600 runners will get entry into the TC 10m. 90 mile drive to a 1 mile race is nuts, but we all know runners are crazy, best to just embrass the madness. My ride backed out today because of injury. Lucky found a lift because I'm not a zen driver driving in downtown Minneapolis. First went the mass wave, which was about 1000 runners, then age groups every 10 minutes, all the way down to champions. I ran my age group, ~200 runners. There was lots of position changes so it was hard to pace off anybody. Lots of crowds cheering, very cool, but hard to enjoy because you gotta go, and at the .75 mile mark some people who knew me start yelling my name which was nice. It's a hard distance and not what I'm use to, but for $18, you get a really nice tech shirt, and it was fun. I regret wearing my watch, should have just went for broke from the start. There was a $10K bonus if a man ran under 4:00 or if a woman ran under 4:28, a girl was really close (4:37), but close did not pay the big bucks. Time 7:06. Goal between 7:00- and 7:30. Since I've done no speed work, hardly any pace runs - well good enough. McMillian calculator says 1:53:52 for a HM, and my goal is to break 1:54 for HM on 5/17. We'll see... Will know tomorrow about TC10. MTA: DIV: 18/164 SEXPL: 137/974 Overall: 636/2600

Bugs

Slow-smooth-fast

Well done, I bet you were very please with that. Now let me just say, that a 1 mile race does not necessarily accurately translate into a half marathon time. This comes down to stamina. If you havent trained long then you wouldnt be expected to do a half marathon in that time, but good luck all the same.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Bugs

Well done, I bet you were very please with that. Now let me just say, that a 1 mile race does not necessarily accurately translate into a half marathon time. This comes down to stamina. If you havent trained long then you wouldnt be expected to do a half marathon in that time, but good luck all the same.
        I know, it's just plugging those times in is just for fun. I've ran a LR of 17 miles, and pace up to 8 so I've got decent training but short on # of pace runs. I'm more trained for a HM than a mile. Would like to do another one mile race, it is really a sprint and think I ran more like a 5K.

Bugs

Another Passion

Sweet, Bugs! Nice job there speedy. Neat change of pace race.

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Nice work!

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Oh how cool! Congratulations. Smile

Michelle

Nice job Bugs! I haven't run a miler or a 10K, I'd like to do both in the not so distant future. I would be careful about translating your 1 mile time to a half marathon. Using McMillan's calculator, my 5K time of about 19:30 says I can run a Marathon around 3:05. That makes me smile and chuckle. The closer the predictive distance to the predicted distance, the more accurate it should be. 5K to marathon isn't so accurate, half marathon to marathon should be pretty close. Keep up the good work, and kick butt on the 17th. We'll be looking forward to your report.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

interesting thing... she ran grandmas last year in <4 hours... based on that marathon and the calculator she should be able to do a 1:52:51... i think 1:54:00 is a good goal... since it is your pr. gl... hours...="" based="" on="" that="" marathon="" and="" the="" calculator="" she="" should="" be="" able="" to="" do="" a="" 1:52:51...="" i="" think="" 1:54:00="" is="" a="" good="" goal...="" since="" it="" is="" your="" pr.="" gl...=""></4 hours... based on that marathon and the calculator she should be able to do a 1:52:51... i think 1:54:00 is a good goal... since it is your pr. gl... >

Bugs

interesting thing... she ran grandmas last year in <4 hours...="" based="" on="" that="" marathon="" and="" the="" calculator="" she="" should="" be="" able="" to="" do="" a="" 1:52:51...="" i="" think="" 1:54:00="" is="" a="" good="" goal...="" since="" it="" is="" your="" pr.=""></4>
                    Thanks! I think it will come down to weather and how bad I want it. Let's pray for no wind..ah Fargo, better settle for little wind. I ran the HM last year very conservative. I was aquajogging more than I was running, but had some more pace runs in. Guess we'll know in 8 days!

Bugs

Mr R

What a fun race. I really wish that road miles would catch on. It's such a great way to get people really racing. I know that in our marathon culture, 5k is considered an introductory distance, but it's worth realizing that in college, the 5k is considered long distance.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

A Saucy Wench

Great job Bugs...I would love to find a 1 mile race...just to see what I can do.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

What a fun race. I really wish that road miles would catch on.
                          I used to direct a 1 mile race, but we had to cancel it this year when the principal sponsor decided to drop us and nobody else would step up to the plate. Its too bad.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)