Google Earth (Read 1294 times)

Okay, so my technique needs a little work as evidenced by this video, but here is the idea...

1) Go out for a run with my Garmin watch

2) Export a GPX file

3) Import the same file into google earth and record the 3D flyover

4) Add a little music and some editing

5) Post to Youtube

This was a run I did in Paris the other day (vacation).  The GPS points are a little out (I am not spiderman flying over buildings) and I need to do a better job of encircling the landmarks (Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc.) so they are more visible but other than that I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcwauI_NSJM

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice!

You can also slow down a touch and pan a bit wider to get the monuments.

Thanks

Will try that tomorrow.  Plan to hit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, Champs D'Elysees and a few others tomorrow.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Wing

Joggaholic

That is cool! Makes me want to try Google earth now... How do you record the 3D flyover? Is that function built into Google earth? Or is that sort of a screen cap from a video editor?

They flyover is google earth and I captured it using quicktime video capture (screen capture)

Not sure if GoogleEarth has a built in video exported but I don't think so

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Loved it!!

an amazing likeness

3) Import the same file into google earth and record the 3D flyover

After I import the GPX (which works as expected)...can anyone give me some pointers on how to have Google Earth start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported? 

Update: Found it, all set.  Off to figure how to adjust the flyover altitude.....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Cool!

Cool Jump Suit

Awesome!  I feel more cultured just having watched that.  How far was your run?  Were there a lot of runner's in Paris?

So bittersweet,
                    This tragedy
                    Won't ask for absolution;
                    This melody,
                    Inside of me,
                    Still searches for solution.
                    A twist of faith,
                    A change of heart
                    Cures my infatuation.
                    A broken heart, 
                    Provides the spark
                    For my determination.

ymmv

My first attempt, the San Francisco Marathon flyover. I exported to Google Earth from GTC, then somehow, found a way to play the tour and record it with Quicktime Player New Screen Recording.

Running in Paris was pretty cool.  So much to look at.

I didn't see all that many runners out when I was out but did see them at various other times of the day.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

After I import the GPX (which works as expected)...can anyone give me some pointers on how to have Google Earth start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported? 

Update: Found it, all set.  Off to figure how to adjust the flyover altitude.....

Well, I give up.  I can't figure out how to get Google Earth to start the 3D flyover of the course I just imported.

And I'm not even hungover...

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Maniac

Can somebody tell me how to do this?  Be really specific....When you say "export" the file....How do you do that?  I upload my runs from my Garmin directly to RA....Not sure how I export them.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Coastal

Too cool!