Runners High? (Read 112 times)

xhristopher

Is Marijuana the Source of a New Runner's High? (Link to Runners World article. Go ahead and click it. Trust me.)

I think, for the average runner - like the guy in the article - who does 50 milers on 2 hip surgeries a hernia surgery and an arthritic toe, this makes a lot of sense.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Can you give a 3rd choice that's 50% each? I'll vote for that one

I'll take it, but I do think it's a different sort of high.

I don't run because I'm good at it. I run to stay skinny / lose weight, and for the mental clarity and health benefits. The elation is there after a long run, yes, but mental clarity from marijuana seems sort of like an oxymoron to me. At least the guy in the article has the intelligence to use a vape.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Joann Y

I'm upping my kms and planning to use this information to blitz past the competition. S-to-the-effin-science.

running metalhead

Regarding increase in heart rate, this is an absurd point. I mean, c'mon, we all know that an increase in HR doesn't mean anything, just that you will have to readjust your training zones. 

good old coffee, the substance #1 in almost everybody and the dog's repertoire also increases your HR. I have recently stopped taking it after a certain time of the day and reduced the dosage considerable (because of the iron intake, I'm vegan) and my HR dropped 20 bpm for the same paces... so what? It's not that I feel more or less tired.

Not that I condone running high on anything, I wouldn't even run after having a beer and the very idea of filling my lungs with smoke give me the shivers.

I do understand this post run thing, I indulge some times in a beer... or a few, and I know that ingested THC is not worse than alcohol. I just don't like it, but everybody is free to do what he/she deems to be the best.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

running metalhead

, but mental clarity from marijuana seems sort of like an oxymoron to me.

the point is that some poeple think taht it gives you mental clarity, as you seem to be able to focus on an idea... but this is nto mental clarity. Mental clarity invloves not only the ability to focus but also the ability to un-focus, focus on something else if necessary and react, being high on grass youi can't do any of these things. As most people (at least here in the Netherlands and my home country Spain) I have tried it during my youth; what I learned is that I can reach a state of similar elation and relax just by actually relaxing or concentrating on something, but being high if you need to jump back to real life you can't, that's the big problem that I see in drugs. BTW, I never experienced this mythical "runner's high".

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)