Has anyone here run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, CA? (Read 467 times)

onehappyrocker

Hi, I'm new to your forum. I'm signed up to run the Nike Women's in San Fran with Team in Training. This is my first ever full marathon, but I've done a couple of half marathons. I must admit, I'm feeling some anxieties about this race, even though it's still a few months away (October 19). I guess I'll feel better when I get some long runs under my belt. My training log here is empty only because I haven't figured out how to update it, I've been training for a month now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.
      I haven't run it but have done others in SF. At risk of stating the obvious, San Francisco = HILLS. If you're from the Bay Area or can arrive early for the race, check out the course ahead of time so you know what to expect. There are lots of comments about it at MarathonGuide.com (go to "Calendars" then "Race Search" then "Nike"). Good luck and go for it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

missy1102

i didn't run it last year but my boss did and like the poster above, her biggest vent was the hills. i remember her telling me, "there was only hill after hill!" she is a pretty experienced runner, too. however, if you normally train on hills or running hills is a big part of your regiment, then there is no need to worry. if you don't, you will want to incorporate a good amount of hill work into your training runs and especially in the longer training runs. hope this helps!
        onehappyrocker

Thank you for your replies, and I appreciate that referral to the marathon guide site. I've been spending a lot of time there reading up on this race & some others too. We have a coach that meets us on Sundays at various locations - some w/hills, to prepare us for San Fran, and our training runs are getting longer. I'm hopeful that I can survive the distance & come in ahead of the lagwagon Smile